So I've been playing bass for about 2 years, and so far I've been lucky when it comes to gigs; I can borrow a friends amp, or the school's amp. However, when it comes to practicing with my friends, I have to use the dinky little 15W amp that came with my bass. Many times I can't hear myself at all over my drummer. Even when I put my ear to my own amp on 100%.

So anyways, the question is, I need a new amp, what do I get.
don't need anything that sounds great, I'd prefer to look for pure volume, probably at least 150W
I have a really small budget... 250$ or so.

I know the amps at this price range are going to be crap, but that doesn't bother me.

Thanks

Also, is there something wrong with this amp? Because the research I've done on my own suggests I cannot get something this loud for this cheap but...
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Crate-BT220-220W-1x15---2-Channel-Bass-Combo-Refurb-487834-i1390932.gc
Quote by kgesme21

Quote by Hsupernova

Oh yeah, and if guitar hero got you into the guitar? you're really playing for the wrong reasons.

there is no wrong reason to play a guitar, except for world enslavement and extermination of certain races, but those guys never make it big anyway.
The only thing I could think of is that the 220w is the peak power and not the RMS rating. Try to get something used. You'll be able to get more watts for your money. I always see people buying new gear when most used gear is in great shape.

Play it before you buy it. Goto a shop and crank it up and see how it is.

Edit:

But this is still in the 'practice amp' range. A 410 or 210 would probably sound better at higher volumes.
Quote by zonic

i do alot of chording (and i mean alot)
Want my opinion...Save up about another $250 and get something you'll want to use for more than a month.
Check e-bay and filter for your area... someone else either

1. just upgraded and is unloading what you want, or
2. got his girlfriend pregers (or married her) and is being forced to down size (e.g pick guitar or bass or drums, not all three).

Ignore the stores and buy it now, look for some poor shmuck who's unloading a used amp in good condition.
I just did this the other night : )

SO. I have a badass drummer. He loves Progressive Metal. I need at least 200W of power to play with him.

How to find that out, is as a bassist you need at least twice as much power as the guitars, it is a fairly known fact in music that the lower insruments need to be louder. I am surprised that you even tried to pull off playing with your practice amp.

At first I wanted to go with the Behringer BX4500H & BA410 Half Stack. The price tag is nice. Then I woke up. Behringer is not the greatest company... enough said. I talked to some of my pro audio friends, and got chewed out.

I decided apon the Carvin SBR610 (BX600|BR115|BR115). It is a bit more money then I wanted to spend($900), but these could be the last amps I ever buy for my bass. EVER. It is a 600W head, with 2 cabs rated 4ohms each, so I will be running 300W through each cab RMS. I probably will run 125W through each cab during a normal practice. Its a little over my head right now, but it was only $200 more than the 225W cab and head. WAY worth it.

And Carvin is amazing btw.

But you need to look at a few things while looking at amps. First, ask yourself if you want a combo amp. The other choice is buying a head with a cab, and the advantage of that, is at anytime you can replace either the head or the cab to suit your needs. Most people find that their needs change with a few years of the first amp.

If you do choose a combo amp, then looking at the specs is a bit easier. You are looking for the keywords RMS, continuous, or power handling when it comes to WATTS. Companies like to state 2 wattage ratings, the real amount, then the amount you can sustain for about half a second before hurting your speakers.

Head and cabs are a bit trickier. Cabs are rated in ohms either 2, 4, or 8 (called impedence or risistance). Heads can be all of them ( a little switch in the back) or designated 2, 4, or 8. MATCH these if you buy your head and cab seperately. If you do not, you could be getting less power from your speakers then you could be (if you ran a 300W 4 ohm head with one 8 ohm cab, you would only be getting 150W of power!! even if the power handling of said cab was 300W). Same advice counts for watts.

If you want to run a full stack like me, there are a few more things you should know about ohms. It all works like a math equation.. If you have a 2 ohm head you can support two 4 ohm cabs, four 8 ohm cabs, one 4 ohm cab and two 8 ohm cabs, or just one 2 ohm cab.

Make sense? probably not completely. It took me awhile too. Its all a fractions game horrayy for math.

The good thing is, I have found out who is helpful. If you call musicians friend, there is a chance you will talk to someone who knows nothing about anything and will not want to transfer to you. Same with guitar center, but as a whole, they are more knowledgable. If you call a manufaturer(sp?) about a product you should get a bunch of good help.

I hope I helped more than confused you. It really is a difficult subject when you start learning it.
He don't remember, how it got there
It had a number, written on his forearm
It spelled disaster
If your not sure find a good reliable make test it it will be more expensive generally then some samller companiesbut it will last i.e my first proper amp was the fender rumble
100\115 combo but i was going to get this ashdown evo electric blue thingy that was 180 watts for the same prica i asked around and it turns out the ashdown blows easily get my point.

smaller companies can make their amps cheaper but not as reliable
fender never blew

hope this helps
Thanks a lot guys. I didn't realize how clueless I actually was. :P

EDIT:

also, what do you think about this one http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Bassman-250-210-Bass-Combo-Amp_W0QQitemZ180223021902QQihZ008QQcategoryZ121157QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

here is a review for it
http://www.zzounds.com/item--FEN2345700010
Quote by kgesme21

Quote by Hsupernova

Oh yeah, and if guitar hero got you into the guitar? you're really playing for the wrong reasons.

there is no wrong reason to play a guitar, except for world enslavement and extermination of certain races, but those guys never make it big anyway.
Last edited by algemar at Mar 11, 2008,
Quote by algemar

The only thing I would watch out for, is it only says output: 225. says nothing about rms or continuous. Just make sure to call fender and ask all the questions. Other than that, if you feel that it suits your needs, then I think you made a good choice.
He don't remember, how it got there
It had a number, written on his forearm
It spelled disaster