I was originally planning on picking up one of those Blue Snowball USB mics because of the simplicity and rumored decent quality. Now I am looking at a Shure SM57 because of the fact that I can record so many different things well with it. I am looking to record vocals and acoustic guitar for a solo project, But I'm primarily an Electric guitar player so this mic fits the bill. Not to mention I use them every week when I play in my church's worship team.

My question is If I get the SM57, would a mixer or a mic preamp be better for recording on my computer? I know that plugging straight into the computer from the mic would be terrible quality. I'm not sure how a mixer or preamp connects to a PC.

Any help is much appreciated, I know there's lots of home recording guys out there.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Mesa Boogie Mark IV

Quote by aerosmithfan95
I wanna know what some blues sounding chords I could use in the key of D Aeolian fifth mode of Melodic Minor.

Quote by szekelymihai
try looking for Cm, or any of those complicated jazz chords
Well, generally mixers have built in preamps in the channel strips, so that is near the same thing as having a standalone mic preamp with a few exceptions. As far as how they connect to computers, you'll need an A/D converter (analogue to digital converter). This takes the analogue signal from the preamp and converts it to a digital signal that your computer can use. Generally high-end studios use seperate preamp and A/D converters, though for your needs, I would suggest either a USB or FireWire based recording interface. That will have both mic preamps and A/D converters. There's many out there, ranging greatly in quality, so first, what is your budget? How many inputs do you need?
Last edited by Gibson_Left at Mar 11, 2008,
Well I'm not trying to spend more than $100 for the mixer/preamp. I'm spending $100 on the mic, and then I was alotting another $100 for the mixer or whatever. I'm staying low because I was looking at the mixers on musiciansfriend between $30 and $50 dollars. I can manage with one channel. Thanks
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Mesa Boogie Mark IV

Quote by aerosmithfan95
I wanna know what some blues sounding chords I could use in the key of D Aeolian fifth mode of Melodic Minor.

Quote by szekelymihai
As soon as you get one channel, you will want 4 or 8 almost immediately. I would save up for an 8 channel Presonus preamp, or a 4 or 8 channel mixer.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
As soon as you get one channel, you will want 4 or 8 almost immediately. I would save up for an 8 channel Presonus preamp, or a 4 or 8 channel mixer.

That's an extra $500 I'm sure he'd rather not spend.
Quote by bshizzle911
Well I'm not trying to spend more than $100 for the mixer/preamp. I'm spending $100 on the mic, and then I was alotting another $100 for the mixer or whatever. I'm staying low because I was looking at the mixers on musiciansfriend between $30 and $50 dollars. I can manage with one channel. Thanks

I have a different version of this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/EMu-0202-USB-2.0-Audio-interface?sku=240552

And I like it for what it is.
Riffs and Recordings is for songs and pieces of music that people have written, it is not a forum about recording, nor is it the place to talk about gear. I posted here because of the name "Guitar Gear and Accessories " Thanks for the input everyone. I'm kinda straying away from the usb interfaces because of the limit expansion capabilities. I I like the idea of a mixer because of the versatility of it. Any other suggestions?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Mesa Boogie Mark IV

Quote by aerosmithfan95

Quote by szekelymihai
Quote by bshizzle911
Riffs and Recordings is for songs and pieces of music that people have written, it is not a forum about recording, nor is it the place to talk about gear. I posted here because of the name "Guitar Gear and Accessories " Thanks for the input everyone. I'm kinda straying away from the usb interfaces because of the limit expansion capabilities. I I like the idea of a mixer because of the versatility of it. Any other suggestions?

The subforums are for peoples' recordings. The main forum is for discussing recording gear.
Quote by bshizzle911

I don't think you understand. A mixer will not connect directly to a computer. The reason for the interface is so you can connect to the computer.
Quote by Gibson_Left
That's an extra $500 I'm sure he'd rather not spend.

Ever owned an interface? The second you get a single input, you want something bigger for more sounds and not having to layer them manually.

I hear about this all the time, and unless you can resell at a better price, everyone I know that has bought single input interfaces, they are disappointed after about a week.

I realize you said you only have the one mic, and a single channel would work better, but I think if you invest in a bigger interface, if you have a band, you can record all of them without having to record each instrument individually. My friend spent a putload of cash on an M-Box and about 2 months later bought an 8 channel interface instead, just because he wanted to be able to record from different spots on his cab, or different drums etc.... I think it would be worth it in the long run to save your money for a bit.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by bshizzle911

Also, in this day and age, with just an interface and an SM57, you can do much more than you think.
Just multitrack. Don't go wasting your money on a hobby you could very well get pissed off with and quit, thus making your money wasted.
Sound recording is one of the most frustrating things in the world, and there have been many times when I've wanted to give up because of things as simple as trying to get a good sound with an SM57 and my amp,
If you think you'll have the perseverance to make good quality recordings, then by all means splash out on a mixer and a bunch of mics, but if you end up getting frustrated because your **** doesn't sound professional and quit, then don't say I didn't warn you.
The whole point of buying recording equipment like this is to make better sounding recordings than the people who are putting their guitars through their computers line in jacks or using Line 6 toneports, but getting to the level that's at least that of decent Line 6 Pod XT standard in the first place, but once you get that far it'll start feeling easy.

I've been at it about a year and a half now, and it's gotten to the level where it feels easy to make awesome recordings with very little equipment (Interface, SM57, AKG Perception 200 and an ART Tube MP.) Not counting my 5150, that's come up to fair bit less than the cost of a mixer.

It's the same as learning to play guitar, it could all go wrong and you might not carry on with it.
Don't splash out on a overly expensive recording guitar until you start becoming more and more sure that you wanna carry on.

Anyway, it just proves your ability to make recordings if you can record awesome sounding songs with such a small amount of equipment, so when you do eventually get better equipment, you'll just enjoy the process more, and it'll probably be even easier.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
Ever owned an interface? The second you get a single input, you want something bigger for more sounds and not having to layer them manually.

I hear about this all the time, and unless you can resell at a better price, everyone I know that has bought single input interfaces, they are disappointed after about a week.

I realize you said you only have the one mic, and a single channel would work better, but I think if you invest in a bigger interface, if you have a band, you can record all of them without having to record each instrument individually. My friend spent a putload of cash on an M-Box and about 2 months later bought an 8 channel interface instead, just because he wanted to be able to record from different spots on his cab, or different drums etc.... I think it would be worth it in the long run to save your money for a bit.

Yes I own multiple interfaces. I agree with you. Having one channel makes you want to have 8, but still, maybe he doesn't have the means of doing that
Well I see what you are saying, but the think is I'm not prepared to buy a whole recording setup, I just wanted to get SOMETHING decent to get the job done. That's why I was looking at the $100 USB mic, then saw I could get a SM57 and mixer for a few more bucks.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Mesa Boogie Mark IV

Quote by aerosmithfan95

Quote by szekelymihai
So I was looking at a mixer up close today and it had two 1/4 outputs. Could this be run into my sound card? Or do I need something else?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Mesa Boogie Mark IV

Quote by aerosmithfan95

Quote by szekelymihai
Quote by Gibson_Left
I don't think you understand. A mixer will not connect directly to a computer. The reason for the interface is so you can connect to the computer.

There are plenty of usb mixers on the market now. I use the yamaha and it works great The only problem with usb mixers are you have to record the mix to a stereo track. Where if you use a usb interface say lexicon you have 6 inputs and each one of those inputs go to a seperate track on recording software.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
How come you're looking at dynamics? I understand you'll need one for live use, and they're okay for the odd guitar or vocal track, but a condenser mic would be much more appropriate if you want a good recording. If its just for acoustic and vox a Samson CO3U (or CO1U if you don't want to spend much) would fit the bill, or indeed any other USB mic. They're not stunning-sounding but the convenience makes it extremely worthwhile, and you'd save money by not having to get a mixer.

In fact, sod the mixer entirely, you need monitors much more urgently if you don't already have 'em!
I suggest getting a USB condenser mic and an SM58, then if there's anything left put it towards nearfield monitors.
I think I'm just gonna go ahead and buy a USB mic, I don't know what is the best bang for the buck. But someday I plan on having a full recording studio so I'll buy a much nicer mixer then. For now a USB mic will do what I want.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Mesa Boogie Mark IV

Quote by aerosmithfan95

Quote by szekelymihai
you'll get good insight by going to the 'riff and recording' forum. scroll past the sub forums and you'll see some recording equipment discussion and questions about miking etc..
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Last edited by Kivarenn82 at Mar 13, 2008,