I'm looking for a good FREE music notation software with midi playback. NOT for guitar music, but for a collection of instruments like strings and brass.

I tried Finale Notepad but it lacks hardcore in the instrument department. I don't have the option for string ensembles and that's one of the main sounds i use.

Please do NOT suggest Guitar Pro, i'm using it right now *cough pirated cough* and i'd like to stay away from it. Fairly limited in terms of orchestral and symphonic music notation.

Basically, i'm stumped, and i don't really know what to look for or what the best names are in FREE notation software.

i'm not looking for anything professional, just a creative outlet to write music in. I just want to be able to play it back. a virtual keyboard, like in guitar pro, would be a plus too.

any suggestions?
Gear:

Epiphone Thunderbird
Custom P Bass (in the works)
Fender Rumble 100
well there is power tab, but that sucks, Finale is probably the best you can get free, but their are other *cough* options, i use sibelius, they have a 60$ student version, and a more expensive one like 300$ i think
Sibelius is the only one I've used that doesn't totally blow, it's pretty expensive though.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by teknotard
Finale note pad is great.
http://www.finalemusic.com/notepad/

i have tried finale already. i wrote that, too.

but yea i'm trying finale again since it's the only free option i have available it seems

guitar pro isn't bad, it just has this terrible memory leak problem where it likes to bloat itself up and use all of my physical and virtual memory.

that and it's pirated
Gear:

Epiphone Thunderbird
Custom P Bass (in the works)
Fender Rumble 100
Personally, I use Cakewalk Sonar 5 becasue it has audio to but it isnt the best midi softwars but does a great job.

gotta get that on torrent.
Main Rigs
Guitars
Thineline tele with SD lil '59

Ibanez Artcore AM-73

Line 6 Variax 500

Effects

Line 6 X3 live
Digitech RP-500
Ibanez Weeping Demon

Amps
Roland JC-120
Rocktron VT-60
Hey, If you are looking for a really good sound as opposed to just composition use Sonar and get Dimmension.
Main Rigs
Guitars
Thineline tele with SD lil '59

Ibanez Artcore AM-73

Line 6 Variax 500

Effects

Line 6 X3 live
Digitech RP-500
Ibanez Weeping Demon

Amps
Roland JC-120
Rocktron VT-60