So last few months been mucking around on an acoustic just learning chords etc, and decided I wanted to actually learn guitar and try and get good. So ive gone out and bought a starter electric set from a music shop. Nothing super expensive but I dont think its too bad. And now im wondering where do I start. Dont really have the cash for proper lessons at the moment. Do you recommend I learn scales or try and learn parts of songs etc? I mean all ive done before was strum along some easy chord songs. What do you all recommend for me.

cheers
You'll want to get a balance between learning your favourite songs and playing scales and exercises etc. I tend to use MAB's speed live exercises or steve vai's 10 hour warm up to begin with. Both of which are on this website somewhere. I also like to throw in a few scales. and every now and again one i dont know.

Then i get down to playing along with some metallica
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
Try the lessons UG has
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
Chromatic runs.

----------------------------------------------------1-2-3-4----4-3-2-1--------------------------------------
------------------------------------------1-2-3-4------------------------4-3-2-1----------------------------
--------------------------------1-2-3-4--------------------------------------------4-3-2-1------------------
----------------------1-2-3-4----------------------------------------------------------------4-3-2-1--------
------------1-2-3-4------------------------------------------------------------------------------------4-3-2-1
-1-2-3-4-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 4 3 2 1 4 3 2 1 4 3 2 1 4 3 2 1 4 3 2 1

The numbers on the strings are frets, the numbers under the strings are the fingers used. After you do this, start on the second fret, low e string (thick one) and continue 2345 all the way up and down using your four fingers; one for each fret. This builds dexterity, coordination between your pick and fret hands, and finger strength.

Then start into scales; major and minor first, then pentatonic and blues. You'll be bored as all hell but the benefits to knowing this basic stuff are endless.
In addition to that, start trying to figure out the notes in some of the easier songs of your favorite bands. Nothing, and I do mean NOTHING, will ever replace a good, reliable EAR for playing with other people. It's invaluable.
I think it's always a good idea to take some lesson from a pr0. I mean, if you have cash, it won't be a waste I guess... A teacher will show you the basics and will tell you what you should focus on first. You don't have to take lesson week after week for a whole year. Sometimes just a few can help you to find a certain direction which you can explore then, all by yourself
My Rig:

+Epiphone AJ100 acoustic
+Fender 60th. Anniversary Stratocaster
+Vox AD30VT
+Vox V847a Wah

look all i wanted was for someone to give me advice on what to do not to slag me off ok

Want advice? Suck yourself off.
You want to learn tab. The example of the Chromatic Scale posted by strat0blaster is in tab format. Usually it will only have the numbers on the strings, not the numbers representing the fingers, but you want to try to stick with using your index finger on the first fret, middle on the second, ring on the third, and pinky finger on the fourth fret (or when you work up the neck you can use like index on the tenth, middle on the eleventh, ring on the twelfth, and pinky on the thirteenth). You probably get what I'm saying, and you might already know that.

Also learn to use a pick if you don't use one already. I have used my hand and fingers
for strumming my entire life, and that's good for playing Spanish and classical (and some blues) music which I used to play, but once you get into rock and other electrical-guitar-music, nothing beats the speed of a pick once you learn how to use them. I'm learning to speedpick with one right now, and that is really helpful for quick solos and the likes. A set of twelve or so picks usually costs around three bucks.
There are three types of picks: Thin, medium, and heavy. Thin lets you play faster, usually, and heavy gives you more control. I would get a couple of medium and a couple of thin picks, and see which you type you prefer to use.

Also, if you don't have a decent amp, get one. You can get a really basic, yet descent, one for around 70-100 US dollars. If you try to look for guitar merchandise, by the way, try to use sites like Musiciansfriend.com or Music123.com, or if you're trying to buy used stuff of course sites like eBay. Froogle (Google shopping) can also be really helpful for comparing prices, which can save you tens of dollars on guitar merchandise (but also other things, of course). If you don't have a lot of experience with amps, I recommend buying what people call a "Combo Amp," which is an amp with a "control panel" (called an amp head) and a "speaker" (called an amp stack). Marshall is usually the best (or one of the best) brands to go with, but can be very expensive, so if you want to buy a simple practice amp, go with Crate amps, Peavey, Vox, or Fender.

And of course, don't forget to get a cable. Else you won't be able to use your amp . Make sure it's a cable with 1/4 male connectors on each side (1/4 specifies the size, and male just means that they're plugs as opposed to sockets, in the world of electricity ). And make sure it's long enough so you won't have to sit one foot from your amp. I recommend getting a 10 ft. or longer cable. They usually cost about 5 dollars.

Learn what powerchords are. They are an important aspect of a ton of rock music.

Learn how to tune a guitar manually. If you don't feel like learning that, or are to lazy to do it manually, get an electric tuner. A descent one costs about 20-30 dollars.
Your strings might break, by the way, so you could get a set of new strings just in case, but I personally wouldn't do so until they actually break. Be sure to get the same strings as there are on your guitar right now, or else it'll sound funny. Usually there are steel strings on an electrical guitar, and sometimes nylon ones on an acoustic. A set of strings generally costs under three bucks, sometimes as low as a dollar.

Learn how to tune in Drop D, Drop C, Drop B, and some of the common irregular tunings. Sometimes an electric tuner has settings to tune a guitar in Drop D and the likes, but sometimes it doesn't, so if you don't feel like learning (or tuning in) irregular tuning, make sure your electric tuner has options to tune a guitar irregularly.

If you don't have a strap, you might want to consider getting one. If your guitar falls it may get some ugly scratches. Straps usually cost between five and fifteen bucks. If your guitar doesn't have a strap lock (where you attach the strap, but most guitars do have it) you'll have to get one of those too. They cost around fifteen dollars, usually.

If you don't have a stand, you'll want to get one of those too, and a case if useful for transporting your guitar. A lot of cases that are for sale have a cost starting at thirty bucks, but usually when you buy a guitar it comes with a soft case. A stand usually costs around ten.

Then you'll want to start learning some songs when you have the proper gear (of which you probably already have most of). Some beginner songs to play are Iron Man (once you know how power tabs work) by Black Sabbath, Red Lottery (even though most people don't like the song ) by Megasus, maybe Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin, Smoke on the Water by Deep Purple, and maybe Enter Sandman by Metallica. Maybe others. Once you find a song you like on youtube, or anywhere else, that doesn't sound too hard to play, go to 911tabs.com and search for your song. Powertab, by the way, is a free application that you can use to view tabs and play them back on your computer, to see what it sounds like. I highly recommend getting that, or if you want to pay some money for a better program, try GuitarPro.

And like Strat0caster said,
Nothing, and I do mean NOTHING, will ever replace a good, reliable EAR for playing with other people. It's invaluable.

That's absolutely true.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Quote by dilbert_5150
I think it's always a good idea to take some lesson from a pr0. I mean, if you have cash, it won't be a waste I guess... A teacher will show you the basics and will tell you what you should focus on first. You don't have to take lesson week after week for a whole year. Sometimes just a few can help you to find a certain direction which you can explore then, all by yourself

I definitely agree. If anything, sitting there with a teacher, or someone that has more experience than you will more than likely give you nothing but positivity. I know many people who are very experienced at their style of playing and when trying to learn that style nothing boosts my esteem more than watching them play something I'm trying to learn. It just shows me that what I once thought was impossible isn't, and that's pretty much all I need to push myself enough to learn it.
woa thank you very much for all the comments, yea been doing some 1234 on each string etc and starting to learn good ole californicataion. Not 100% sure on the tab mine seems wrong so if someone could direct me to one would be good. Any other good learner songs anyone can recommend?

Also after I night of practicing this morning I played a little before coming to work and it seems my 2nd string from top (sorry cant remember name) seems to have an extended sound to it, hard to explain but its as if it starts off soft then gets a bit louder. Doesnt sound quite right, not sure what this could be because?

Last question is how should I have my amp setup. treb/mid/bass all the same? and im not sure what the other knob on my guitar does, ive read that they are usually tone knobs but it seems to be like gain kind of?
in layman terms treble is the setting for making your guitar sound very twangy (i think thats the right word) used alot for lead playing because the frequency is a little higher than the other instruments so you can pierce through everything with a solo

mid starts to make your guitar sound more like an acoustic good for rhythm playing because it is higher than bass and drums but lower than lead guitar

bass like the name sugests make your guitar sound like a bass guitar adding a little bit will give you a deeper tone

on electric most knobs control the volume of the different pickups and then there most likely will be a tone knob just fiddle around with them for a bit

i strongly suggest when starting find a guitarist or band or genre of music that influences you that way you can then sort through what techniques are something you would want to add to your repotoitre when playing

if i remember correctly there is a sticky thread in one of the forums with easy beginner songs read through that there was another one for easy solos to so check that one out

and one last bit of advice i will give you is the best bit of advice i ever got never ever give up all these trials and hurldes only make us stronger people and better guitarists
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

ahh thanks for that, so for general playing I would have the treb/mid/bass all about the same? Also any idea on my string problem, could it be tuning or? Also what pickup should I be playing on, not entirely sure the difference between them. Tried looking on the net but havent found anything yet.
I'm in here a bit late, but balance learning songs you like with simple excersizes. Try to learn chords and stuff like that. Also playing with someone else can improve your skill, if you know anyone who is good at guitar they can help you along. Keep your guitar well maintained because they can help your playing.

Try to learn a bit of theory, that can help your playing.
About pickups... depends on your guitar. If you have Les Paul kind of a guitar (with two humbuckers), the one closer to the fretboard should give you more treble (you probably would like to use it when playing rhythm parts - strumming), and the pickup near the bridge is better for soloing and leads (depends on your musical taste, really), it should sound warmer and deeper. If you have other configurations (5-position switches for ex.), everything should be explained in the manual.

Don't know what's wrong with your string. Is it tuned?

About setting your EQ... Feel free to experiment If you don't like the sound of your guitar (too muddy for ex.) try setting bass lower, or treble higher. Dunno... have fun! Ability to set your amp is like playing guitar, it comes after some time. You need to develop your ear, mate. It's all about that.
My Rig:

+Epiphone AJ100 acoustic
+Fender 60th. Anniversary Stratocaster
+Vox AD30VT
+Vox V847a Wah

look all i wanted was for someone to give me advice on what to do not to slag me off ok

Want advice? Suck yourself off.
I haven't found much advice online more detailed than "just fiddle with them" for the tone/amp controls either, though generally, you'll get a more "muffled" sound with the neck pickups (lever towards the left) and a brighter, clearer sound with the bridge pickups (towards the right).

As for the amp knobs, the general advice seems to be to start with them all at 5 and work your way adjusting them from there until you have the sound you're happy with - I think I got that from a tutorial on this site, actually, but I can't find it again after a quick search around.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
Practical (actual playing)
Scales are your next aim for practical work (IMO).

Scales you need to learn:

Pentatonic Scale (there are 5 different "boxes" of the pentatonic scale that mover further up the neck as you use them.)
Major Scale (also in different positions/octaves, like the "boxes" on the pentatonic scale)
Minor Scale (similar to the pentatonic with a few extra notes, again learn the positions/octaves)

Next are chords, and you seem to have made some headway, so that's good.
Chords:

Major Chords [Open (meaning played with some open strings, not barre chords.)]
Minor Chords, also Open
Major Chords [Barred (meaning played with no open strings as transferable patterns, the simpler versions are also known as "power" chords)]
Minor Chords, also Barred

If you make headway with that stuff, then there's this
Advanced Stuff:

Modal Scales: Dorian, Mixolydian etc. (Here's a good site)
7th/9th/13th Chords

-------------------
Motor Skills should also be worked on:

Picking: Standard/Alternate/Sweeping/Hybrid
Hammer Ons/Pull Offs (this means a slur if you're musically inclined; if not there are a load of good lessons on this site; just type them in search under lessons.)
Bends
Scratch muting (makes a chcka sound when you mute the strings with your left hand)
Palm muting (listen to metallica; the chug chug sound is caused by palm muting)

--------------------

Theory:

Major and Minor chord construction (What makes a chord sound major or minor, 3rds/5ths etc. Refer to lessons)
Key/Time signatures
Basic musical notation
Learn to read tab
Modal construction
Scale construction
Scale inflections ("Blue" notes, modes)

---------------------

Sound Engineering (Electric players only):

How to/ what is an EQ
Clean, Distortion and O.D
Pickups
Valve (Tube)/ Solid State/ Hybrid amps

--------------------
The stuff in bold is advanced, and so should really be done after the rest of it is good.

I think that's enough to be going along with. Obviously don't try and learn it all at once, you'll overload yourself. Just try learning a bit a week, you'll be fine, and you'll get better with practise.

Good Luck,

Lol, I quoted me.