Hey, I'm trying to work out the relationship between the chords F minor and C major but can't figure it out. As far as i know they aren't both in the same major key so are they in a minor key, perhaps harmonic minor?
It is F Harmonic Minor.

Moreover, it would not be uncommon to see a progression such as Fm Eb Db C, where the first three chords are from F natural minor, but the C is from F harmonic minor. While is momentarily departs from the F natural minor scale, this is done plenty because of the Spanish sound given by the C major chord rather than Cm in the same spot.
In F minor, C major is the dominant chord. The minor 3rd is usually made major and the b7 added to make it a dominant 7th chord (C-E-G-Bb).

In C major, F minor is the subdominant chord made minor. Sometimes it's used with the major version like this: C - F - Fm - C.
Quote by titopuente
This could come from F harmonic minor, F melodic minor, or C harmonic major.

Let us not forget A harmonic or melodic minor.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by Muphin
Let us not forget A harmonic or melodic minor.

Not true. There is no F in A melodic minor. Also, in both A harmonic and melodic minor, the triad that is built from C is an augmented triad, not a major triad.
Quote by titopuente
Not true. There is no F in A melodic minor. Also, in both A harmonic and melodic minor, the triad that is built from C is an augmented triad, not a major triad.

Probably should have thought about it before I wrote it.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by titopuente

The way I was taught melodic minor was that ascending, it went A B C D E F# G#, but then descending it went A G F E D C B, because F natural to G# was too big of an interval for singing.
Quote by st.stephen
The way I was taught melodic minor was that ascending, it went A B C D E F# G#, but then descending it went A G F E D C B, because F natural to G# was too big of an interval for singing.
Yes, but in modern music, the scale is generally played the same ascending and descending.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Yes, but in modern music, the scale is generally played the same ascending and descending.

I've never played them the same.