I've been playing the Speed Kills Lesson by Michael Angelo (Batio) as was wondering how long it will take (roughly) to build up my finger speed for the 1st lesson? The bpm is 180 but I can only play it around like 100 maybe less... =(

**Also, can anyone recomend a really good video lesson by Kristofer Dahl? There are so many of them but I dont know where to start.

Thanks.
Quote by Iamonfire
Dear sweet zombie Jesus, I just creamed my pants.
I'm assuming you have a metronome if you're aware of how many bpm you can play, so if I were you I would keep practicing the lesson at a comfortable speed and once you have it down flawlessly move up about 5 bpm and get comfortable with that speed. After that move up another 5... you get the picture. The worst thing you could do to yourself is try and jump straight into 180 bpm and practicing bad habits from the start.
Quote by BChill
I'm assuming you have a metronome if you're aware of how many bpm you can play, so if I were you I would keep practicing the lesson at a comfortable speed and once you have it down flawlessly move up about 5 bpm and get comfortable with that speed. After that move up another 5... you get the picture. The worst thing you could do to yourself is try and jump straight into 180 bpm and practicing bad habits from the start.

All I have is a crappy online metronome that goes by incriments of 10. Would this still be alright?

(P.S. How much do real metronomes cost roughly?)
Quote by Iamonfire
BCHill is right; if you keep doing what you're doing it will happen in no time.

One thing you may notice is that you'll practice it at 110 bpm one day with a little trouble, but you can still play it clean, then play it at 110 with ease the next day. You're gonna plateau. You'll have to practice at one level for a while, then suddenly you'll jump up to the next level. So just keep practicing playing it correctly, perfection and repetition being the most important things. You'll get there in no time like that.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Alright thanks. Is it normal, for the first time using a metronome, to mess up alot while listening to it? Sometimes I pay to much attention to the beats the metronome are making rather than where my fingers are going... =(
Quote by Iamonfire
Yea happens to me a lot also but just try to focus on where your fingers are gonna go and a bit less on the beat, that usually helps me.
Quote by guitar nooblet
Alright thanks. Is it normal, for the first time using a metronome, to mess up alot while listening to it? Sometimes I pay to much attention to the beats the metronome are making rather than where my fingers are going... =(

Absolutely. What that basically means (not to offend you) is that your rhythm needs work. Just try to lock in with those clicks.

You can get a pretty basic, workable metronome for about $20-30.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.