What SS amp would sound closest to the original '59 Bassman, in terms of both tone and controls, for around $300?

Also is the Bassman pedal worth it?
Quote by neptune1988
What SS amp would sound closest to the original '59 Bassman, in terms of both tone and controls, for around $300?

Also is the Bassman pedal worth it?

nothing is gonna match that warmth. maybe a roland jazz chorus but the bassman is a bass amp. plus its tube. try the pedal at a store on a SS amp in your price range. if it works out well then i guess you should go for it. i dont think anything is gonna really match that tone however.....
Gear
ESP Vintage Plus
LTD M-II
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Line 6 Flextone IIIXL
I know there is DEFINTELY some truth to that...

However, I beg to differ.

The Fender Frontman is a decent SS amp that has controls pretty close to the '65 Twin, and it sounded closer to it than my processor through my Roland Cube (15W).

But yeah, nothing short of around $1000 would come close, in which case I could get the re-issue Bassman for a few hundred more.

what about control wise?

hey, I have to go to class, see y'all L8TR....
of course it soudns better than a processor. but the FM does not sound like a '65 twin either. sorry but it's too far different. doesn't have the sparkle, doesn't have the depth, doesn't have the response, that the '65 twin had.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Used Peavey Classic 30.
Not exactly a Bassman, but close enough to a tweed Fender. It's a generally good amp, as well.
I have to agree. Nothing comes close to the real thing. That's why those things are worth some bucks.

I also have to agree about the FM. It may have a decent clean channel, but it sounds nothing like a twin.

Just accept it, you need a tube amp.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
i agree

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Wow, if you think the cleans on a FM sound similiar to the cleans on a Twin Reverb you may have lost your mind.

I think the best idea yet is the Peavey Classic 30 used.
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Quote by mr_hankey
Used Peavey Classic 30.
Not exactly a Bassman, but close enough to a tweed Fender. It's a generally good amp, as well.

+1, except for the boost switch, which sounds like hell.

Still, since Peavey pretty much cloned a tweed Fender (looks wise especially, not saying this is a bad thing) when making the C30, it would be a good choice.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
you MIGHT be able to get a used Sovtek MIG30 for 300, which is a clone of the JTM45/Bassman
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Used to play with a guy who used a 59 got pretty familiar with that sound. After I retubed the newer classic 50 I was surprised at how much it sounds like that amp.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Yamaha G100-212.

My guitar teacher has just about every Yamaha amp in that series. They sell for about $150-$200 on ebay on occasion. Great blues amp, I mean, GREAT amp. The first time I heard it and he told me it was SS I was like bull****, it's obviously a fender knockoff, do you have NOS tubes in it? It's a SS amp. I was amazed. I'll definatly be picking one up on ebay eventually, kinda low on money at the moment.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
HAH! you cant get a bassman tone out of a solid state what are ya smokeing? save more money and get a tube amp
The Traynor YBA-1 is basically another (very good by the way) JTM45/Bassman clone and is significantly less expensive than either. I saw a 1971 model sell for $300 a couple of months ago.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
The clean channel cranked on the C30 will be as bassman like as any tube amp thats not a bassman, I would look around for one of those used. Usually on ebay they go from 350-475 used depending on condition, up your budget a little, thats probably the closest you are going to get under 1000 dollars.