So basically right now I have a Hughes and Kettner Switchblade and loving it, but I want to get a specific type of tone. The amp is great for cleans and hi-gain, but I want this sweet overdriven tone that the guitarist Rob Harris from Jamiroquai gets in this video.

Here's the video

So the tone I'm talking about is his solo tone near the end of the vid. Also would like some settings advice for good funk tone, or the funk tone that plays during the verse of this video (right now I think my funk tone is at Bass:7 Mid:4 Treble:6 Gain:5). I have a decent OD tone set right now, though its more scofield-ish ie kinda full and dry, where as I want full and smooth.

So would a tubescreamer or some other OD pedal help this? The guitarist for jamiroquai uses a mesa lonestar, HK triamp, and a vox mainly I think. He also uses a tubescreamer.

PS: I use an ibanez with evolutions, so the tone can be really trebly and hot, if it makes any difference.

thanks for the help guys,
My Youtube Vids

"Be formless... shapeless like water.

If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle.

Water can flow, and it can crash....Be water, my friend..." - Bruce Lee
For that kinda sound, I'd say a Maxon OD808 would be great. It sounds (to my ears) quite like the older Tubescreamers, which is characteristically tight, focused and ideal for leads, with a slight bass cutoff.

What OD are you using now?
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
I don't have one now, and I want to invest in one. I've tried them before and it really didn't do much for me, but is it possible to get this type of a sound out of a new tubescreamer or the maxon like you said?

I did try it on a clean channel though, where as i take it the guitarist is using his crunch channel with an overdrive pedal here?
My Youtube Vids

If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle.

Last edited by Erich yeung at Mar 11, 2008,
Quote by Erich yeung
I don't have one now, and I want to invest in one. I've tried them before and it really didn't do much for me, but is it possible to get this type of a sound out of a new tubescreamer or the maxon like you said?

I did try it on a clean channel though, where as i take it the guitarist is using his crunch channel with an overdrive pedal here?

Again, I'm not too sure what your amp sounds like exactly, but remember that alot of tone quality is lost when you're simply not playing loud enough. At higher volumes, the ear becomes more sensitive to highs and lows, and other subtleties. Also, you'll get some sympathetic feedback into the strings themselves.

I've found that the tubescreamer (OD808 being my favourite) kind of sound is very smooth and focused, but because it's not over the top at all, it can be a little disappointing when you first hear it. Because of how subtle and natural it can sound though, it's a great choice if you're looking for the Jamiroquai sound.

Also, it's kinda awesome seeing another chinese canadian funk guitarist. That's not something you find everyday.

EDIT: As for the channel, and OD pedal running through an OD (crunch, whatever) channel typically results in a big mess of fuzzy sound. You should experiment, of course, but what most guitarists do is just turn their volume down a bit for clean, and then turn it up for leads, while possibly turning on their OD pedal/changing the amp channel.

How's the OD on your amp though?
Last edited by Kutanmoogle at Mar 11, 2008,
Overdrive your clean channel with something a Maxon OD808 or a Keely moded tube-screamer or an Analogman Tubescreamer

EDIT: or also perhaps an EQ pedal for your drive channel to get the sound you want
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Again, I'm not too sure what your amp sounds like exactly, but remember that alot of tone quality is lost when you're simply not playing loud enough. At higher volumes, the ear becomes more sensitive to highs and lows, and other subtleties. Also, you'll get some sympathetic feedback into the strings themselves.

I've found that the tubescreamer (OD808 being my favourite) kind of sound is very smooth and focused, but because it's not over the top at all, it can be a little disappointing when you first hear it. Because of how subtle and natural it can sound though, it's a great choice if you're looking for the Jamiroquai sound.

Also, it's kinda awesome seeing another chinese canadian funk guitarist. That's not something you find everyday.

EDIT: As for the channel, and OD pedal running through an OD (crunch, whatever) channel typically results in a big mess of fuzzy sound. You should experiment, of course, but what most guitarists do is just turn their volume down a bit for clean, and then turn it up for leads, while possibly turning on their OD pedal/changing the amp channel.

How's the OD on your amp though?

Yeah man I love funk haha. I play tons of stuff, but I love funk and jazz. Jamiroquai is just sick imo haha. So from what you said, the disapointment from an OD is normal. The thing is the tubescreamer was soooo subtle, where as the tone in that video has a very smooth overdriven sound. When I tried it, it was more of a broken up clean.

The OD on my amp isn't bad, though it lacks depth, and can lack a bit fullness and smoothness compared to the tone in that video? It might be my EQ, though it's not set too bad right now. I think i have it at: presence 4, treble 8, mid 6, bass 5.

I might cut my treble a bit and maybe up the bass a bit. IS the tone in the video generally moderate bass, and high mids, or .... what is it?

Also what are general funk tone EQs?

So will the OD pedal help alot? Or should I just EQ the Crunch channel I have now? Also is it pretty much certain that the tone from the vid is from an OD pedal? Maybe I should look into a boost pedal..?
My Youtube Vids

Last edited by Erich yeung at Mar 11, 2008,
Quote by Erich yeung
Yeah man I love funk haha. I play tons of stuff, but I love funk and jazz. Jamiroquai is just sick imo haha. So from what you said, the disapointment from an OD is normal. The thing is the tubescreamer was soooo subtle, where as the tone in that video has a very smooth overdriven sound. When I tried it, it was more of a broken up clean.

The OD on my amp isn't bad, though it lacks depth, and can lack a bit fullness and smoothness compared to the tone in that video? It might be my EQ, though it's not set too bad right now. I think i have it at: presence 4, treble 8, mid 6, bass 5.

I might cut my treble a bit and maybe up the bass a bit. IS the tone in the video generally moderate bass, and high mids, or .... what is it?

Also what are general funk tone EQs?

So will the OD pedal help alot? Or should I just EQ the Crunch channel I have now? Also is it pretty much certain that the tone from the vid is from an OD pedal? Maybe I should look into a boost pedal..?

Ah I was always a funk/blues/80s rock (yes, that combination exists) kinda guy.

Anyway, tbh, I'm not totally sure how he gets that tone in the vid. I'd say try to fiddle with your amp (try boosting the mids, that's important for leads), while playing at a nice high volume to get some power tube saturation if you can. He sounds like he's got a bit of reverb in his signal also, so try that too. If nothing else works, getting an OD808 to drive the clean signal of your amp is always a good move.
well usually funk guitar has a twangier sound (more treble than bass) so maybe boost that instead of cutting it and adding bass. For the overdrive tone, Id recommend a Fulltone OCD, which could cover what was in the video and alot more.
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
I'm also using a WD7 wah, which isn't true bypass, so I need to take that into account haha. I was tweaking with it in my signal chain, so that may have had a negative effect :p.

Yeah I might look into buying a fulltone OCD or the maxon. I'm still considering the Ibanez Tube screamers, but is the TS-9 or the TS-808 better?
My Youtube Vids

The OD808 is essentially the TS808. The TS-9 is the new tubescreamer, and it sounds a little more modern (less mids, slightly more bass).

I personally prefer the 808. The Fulltone OCD is also great, but a little pricier if I remember.

I also use the WD7, and to be honest, I really don't enjoy mine all that much. I go through phases where I love the fact that it can sound over the top, but then I go through other phases where I hate how it lacks that vintage character.
Quote by Kutanmoogle
EDIT: As for the channel, and OD pedal running through an OD (crunch, whatever) channel typically results in a big mess of fuzzy sound.

I have to disagree there; running a distortion though and OD channel ends in horrible fuzz and feedback but running an OD adds a slight amount of gain and can change the tone a bit giving a slight mid and treble boost allowing you to cut through the mix more for a solo or something; a lot of guitarists use OD pedals through the OD channel on their amp to give a better lead tone or a tighter rhythm tone, especially in metal.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I have to disagree there; running a distortion though and OD channel ends in horrible fuzz and feedback but running an OD adds a slight amount of gain and can change the tone a bit giving a slight mid and treble boost allowing you to cut through the mix more for a solo or something; a lot of guitarists use OD pedals through the OD channel on their amp to give a better lead tone or a tighter rhythm tone, especially in metal.

Oh, so would the OD be set low, as well as the gain set low on the amp?
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Oh, so would the OD be set low, as well as the gain set low on the amp?

yes, for general OD use you'd set your amp to a rhythm tone and then set you OD with the gain low and the level high enough to give you a decent gain boost then set the tone control so it gives you a tone you like for soloing.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
^thats what I figured rob harris did in the video, but I'm not sure. My overdrive on the amp actually doesn't sound bad, but it doesn't have the warmth of the tone on the vid, and I was hoping an OD would help that?

Yeah the WD7 is both a curse and a blessing, I mean it sounds great sometimes, but other times it does really lack that vintage sound, not to mention the not true bypass thing kinda sketches me out now, since I'm scared it'll suck all the of my tone when I have it in the chain.
My Youtube Vids

Quote by Erich yeung
^thats what I figured rob harris did in the video, but I'm not sure. My overdrive on the amp actually doesn't sound bad, but it doesn't have the warmth of the tone on the vid, and I was hoping an OD would help that?

Yeah the WD7 is both a curse and a blessing, I mean it sounds great sometimes, but other times it does really lack that vintage sound, not to mention the not true bypass thing kinda sketches me out now, since I'm scared it'll suck all the of my tone when I have it in the chain.

Well it might be something like that but he's a session musician so it can be hard to tell what they do; he might very well have a preamp with a large number of settings each settable to a certain EQ and effects loops only on some of them and all sorts of things, so when the solo kicks in he could be: changing amp channel; kicking in different EQ on the same channel; bringing in one or more effects (obviously wah); changing AMP or any combination of the above.

Obviously having a more vintage sounding wah than the WD would help immensely but also you could have more mids in your amp; that would help get a warmer tone, but maybe not an OD; that would probably be too treble-y.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Mar 12, 2008,
Well would an odd not add warmth? I always thought that an OD drove the tubes, so you get a real hot tone? Also would they add that liquid smooth sound as well?
My Youtube Vids

Quote by Erich yeung
Well would an odd not add warmth? I always thought that an OD drove the tubes, so you get a real hot tone? Also would they add that liquid smooth sound as well?

It would add more gain but not necessarily drive the output tubes much harder which (as I understand it) is where vintage OD tone comes from, also OD is almost the very antithesis of smooth: more treble leads to a harder attack and more noticeable string and picking noise. You could try using an OD with the tone turned all the way down but that still might not be exactly what you want. I can't really help that much more, sorry, all I can say now is experiment with settings on everything until you hit on something.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by The red Strat.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRnLmXMZOjw&feature=related

i think an Xotic OD pedal should suit you.
listen to 3.21: that's very similar to the sound you're after IMO.

The Xotic pedals are boost pedals, and so will not add the harshness of your standard OD pedal.

They're decidedly more transparent than other OD's, and some of my favourite examples of tone (Andy Timmons, Eric Johnson, Scott Henderson) use various Xotic stomps.
I dono, I didn't rally did any of tone in that vid, and that setting at 3:21 didn't sound full enough, kind of wood-like you know what I mean? So it seems like maybe an OD might not be the best idea to get that sound?
My Youtube Vids

Here you go.Effects

Line6 Mod Pro
Line6 Echo Pro
Line6 Filter Pro
GCX Ground control switching system
MXR dyna comp
Xpandora Fuzz box
Ibanez tube screamer
Jim Dunlop Wah
Ernie Ball Volume pedal
Boss Tu2
Boss T-Wah
Roland EV5 (for echo pro)
Big Muff
Pod XT
Hughes & Kettner Rotosphere
Hughes & Kettner Replex
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
thanks, but yeah I've seen that page on his site, it's just that i need to figure out what he was using to get that sound and the EQ. It says tubescreamer thats why I came on here asking about it, but I can't be sure hes using one in the video..?
My Youtube Vids

Quote by Erich yeung
thanks, but yeah I've seen that page on his site, it's just that i need to figure out what he was using to get that sound and the EQ. It says tubescreamer thats why I came on here asking about it, but I can't be sure hes using one in the video..?

Mess with the EQ on your amp. Boost the mids, add some reverb/short delay.

What kind of guitar are you playing?
^an ibanez jem 555, it has evos, and isn't exactly the warmest guitar. It's great for funk stuff surprisingly enough though, and can do alot of different stuff. The tone can be a tad bit thin at times though. Yeah I'll try the boosted mids, I usually hate boosted mids for rhythm, but never really tried for lead. I find too much mids can make the rhythm tone really bland.
My Youtube Vids

Quote by Erich yeung
I find too much mids can make the rhythm tone really bland.

Lots of mids give your lead tone more cut so you can be heard better in the mix and PHs sound more distinctly.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Well the mids help cut through alot, but it doesn't affect the tone that much.
The OD on my amp is pretty much like scofield's in character and EQ. Is there anyway to add warmth and smoothness to it? I take it the OD pedals won't help so anything else maybe?

I have a feeling that he might just be using a regular distorted lead tone instead of OD?
My Youtube Vids

Last edited by Erich yeung at Mar 14, 2008,