Hey, I've been playing guitar for about 5 years and I just can't shred. Its not like I just can't play the guitar. I can do 5 string arpeggios with taps but I just can't play as fast as I'd like. I've been listening to COB lately and I've been trying some of their songs and I just can't do it. For example, in the first solo with the sweeping part of silent night bodom night, I can play all of the sweeps in that part perfectly, but I cant play the simple fast parts like this:

|-------------17----17-19-17-19-17---------|-------------------------|
|-20-19-20----20---------------------20-19-|-20---------------------|
|-------------------------------------------------|--------------------------|

It isn't really a long run, but I can't get it up to the same speed as Alexi at all, yet I can with the sweeps. I don't think I practice it enough, because I generally practice sweeping and rhythm playing more as it comes more naturally to me, but I would like to develop this skill. How long and what should I do to practice it each day? I have the John Petrucci DVD, but I haven't really used it if that helps.
Use the John Petrucci DVD...a lot...with a metronome (which it says to in the DVD).
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Traynor YCV 50 Custom Blue

Quote by Dee'snutz
YES! you, Dazed/confused, are a genius. my thanks to you, good friend
dude, theres no set limit to how long u practice each day. practice as much as you can or want to. i mean, if you go really hardcore with it and practice for like, 8 hours a day, you'll have it down in no time. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!!!!!!!!
Quote by nodice182
Denny Crane.

Quote by dmiwshicldply
touche vman, touche

mate. feed. kill. repeat.
That's funny, I can shred, but I can't sweep very well. Petrucci's DVD has definitely helped. You should give it another try. Just work on alternate picking and practice changing strings and such. Playing arpeggios while alternate picking is a good exercise. Also try using a metronome as Petrucci does.
Thanks for the replies. How long did it take you guys to get it down? I mean, I've only really spent about 1 hour at a time at most practicing the Petrucci dvd, but I kind of get discouraged and bored when I'm playing the same thing for an hour and I can't get any faster. Also, once you get a few of the excersises down off the dvd, does it become a lot easier and quicker to learn good shred licks?
for me, it took like, 5 months at like anywhere between 1 and 5 hours a day before i really got it down.
Quote by nodice182
Denny Crane.

Quote by dmiwshicldply
touche vman, touche

mate. feed. kill. repeat.
Quote by david_safc
Thanks for the replies. How long did it take you guys to get it down? I mean, I've only really spent about 1 hour at a time at most practicing the Petrucci dvd, but I kind of get discouraged and bored when I'm playing the same thing for an hour and I can't get any faster. Also, once you get a few of the excersises down off the dvd, does it become a lot easier and quicker to learn good shred licks?

People say I can shred, not like Gilbert (Boy would I want that), but enough to place me high on the skill latter at my school. Anyway, it just comes naturally really. I think of cool riffs while I sit in math class. It's always math though, never english or gym, always math. Weird, eh?

Anyway, just keep practicing and you'll get it man.
hey dude, well i'm a guitarist playing for 3 years .... nowadays i can play even symphony X solos..... ( for those of you who don't know symphony x's solos and guitars... they are ****in advanced and difficult to play .. ) , i have never taken lessons or had teachers or anythin.. all that i am is improvising.... and this song Silent night bodom night, belive it or not was my FIRST song that i play fully...from beginning to end,, i've played it on stage too at one point....

anyways,, i don't know about what ppl put rules..... if u want my advice .. how i learn my fast solos..... play that part with a very slow speed.....even if it means 1 tone per second..... do it over an over.....the point is that if u rush into it and straight away try it fast... ur fingers would assume what to press instead of KNOWing what to press...so by starting it very slow...and doing it over an over again, ur fingers will learn and memmorize where to press.....gradually and slowly once ur used to the placing of fingers... u can dial it up a bit...2 tones per second speed.....and then faster till u get to the level.....

Barouyr
Quote by VIRUSDETECTED
People say I can shred, not like Gilbert (Boy would I want that), but enough to place me high on the skill latter at my school. Anyway, it just comes naturally really. I think of cool riffs while I sit in math class. It's always math though, never english or gym, always math. Weird, eh?

Anyway, just keep practicing and you'll get it man.

hahahaha i know exactly what u mean.... i'll be in the ****in cinema and i come up with riff an solo ideas hahahaha.... one of my best solos that i've composed came to my head in a supermarket while i was choosing which chips to buy for some party hahahaha....

keep up the good stuff guys !

Barouyr
_______
check my page for my songs.