I'm looking for a new pair of headphones of around 100 dollars Canadian in price. Must be over the head (no behind and head and especially no earbuds). Usage mainly daily commute on highway/subway/bus. Going for max sound quality.
Recommend away.
Thanks.
I can't really help you because I only use earbuds, do you just not like earbuds or do you have a specific reason to go for cans? Cause if i can tempt you away from those big bastards (that ruin my immaculately coiffured hair) you can get a shat-load of bang for your buck with a good pair of 'buds.
Watching: Louie
Playing: Ground Zeroes, Fallout Shelter
Reading: Mark Danielewski - House of Leaves
Listening: Merrow

PSN/XBL/facebook/Steam : Latchem72
Origin/Twitter: JLatchem72
Get monitoring headphones - they don't colour the sound like most and they have better bass response.
For maximum sound quality and while on the go, the AKG DJ series (can't remember the number) are great.

EDIT: Sorry those are slightly overbudget. The AKG K414 are great though. They have really extended bass, and will block out alot of outside noise. The problem with alot of headphones that the general public rates as "bassy" is that they usually have a decibel boost in the mid-bass, to make up for sub-par drivers that can't reproduce sound in the lower registers. A headphone with extended bass will hit those low tones that you tend to only hear with a quality subwoofer.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
Last edited by Kutanmoogle at Mar 11, 2008,
Skullcandy Skullcrushers (y)

I want a pair for the summer when i go on Holiday to Greece.
I absolutly love the sound the give

I only have some smoking Buds at the moment
Ibanez RG770DX Reissue

Ibanez Apex 2

Ibanez S520EX w/ EMGs

Marshall DSL100 Halfstack

NEWCASTLE UNITED!
Quote by john_latchem
I can't really help you because I only use earbuds, do you just not like earbuds or do you have a specific reason to go for cans? Cause if i can tempt you away from those big bastards (that ruin my immaculately coiffured hair) you can get a shat-load of bang for your buck with a good pair of 'buds.

They fall right out 100% of the time.
And i feel for you on the hair thing, but i love cans just the same.
Quote by Kutanmoogle
For maximum sound quality and while on the go, the AKG DJ series (can't remember the number) are great.

EDIT: Sorry those are slightly overbudget. The AKG K414 are great though. They have really extended bass, and will block out alot of outside noise. The problem with alot of headphones that the general public rates as "bassy" is that they usually have a decibel boost in the mid-bass, to make up for sub-par drivers that can't reproduce sound in the lower registers. A headphone with extended bass will hit those low tones that you tend to only hear with a quality subwoofer.

Do they deliver on the mids/highs though? And a quick google shows all European distributors, any way to get some in Canada without a costly/lengthy shipping process?
Check the phone book for audiophile-type stores, almost every city has one. They'll typically be able to order in anything you need.

The AKG 414 definitely deliver on the highs. Their mids are slightly recessed, but are definitely never lost in the mix. They'll sound great for your purposes, being closed headphones.
get shure e260s. they are $100 USD, i'm not sure what that is in Canadian. They sort of look like earbuds, but they bury deep in your ear and make a seal to block noise, instead of using sound waves to cancel outside noise out. It protects your hearing (you can turn the volume way lower), they never fall out, and its not a bad price. If falling out is really all you don't liek about earbuds, this will be no problem.
i haven't tried them but those bose commercials sure are convincing
Living is easy with eyes closed...
--------------------------

Quote by GnR_ROK
I'm surprised you returned to this thread after cheeseman owned you.
Quote by wolfhowl11

You, good sir, are made of purest, finest win. Simply for being head and shoulders more mature than 95% of the reprobates who float around on here. General kudos to everyone who has contributed to the thread so far though

Quote by MetalheadA7X
Skullcandy Skullcrushers (y)

I want a pair for the summer when i go on Holiday to Greece.
I absolutly love the sound the give

I only have some smoking Buds at the moment

Ya see, I've tried several kinds of skullcandy 'phones (I blame HMV, they had a big display right in the middle of the "metal" section (where they put everything thats not indie, rap or unceunceunce dance music)) and I have found them to be too furry, if ya catch my drift, not enough mid/high snap to match the bass. And yes, kids, that was double-parenthesis, rocked your world much?

PS - MetalheadA7X - did you get your smokin buds from HMV in newcastle? cause I can often be found clogging up the aisles of that fair store
Watching: Louie
Playing: Ground Zeroes, Fallout Shelter
Reading: Mark Danielewski - House of Leaves
Listening: Merrow

PSN/XBL/facebook/Steam : Latchem72
Origin/Twitter: JLatchem72
Last edited by john_latchem at Mar 11, 2008,
Quote by cheeseman3001

Marketing bull. Bose are alright, but they're always way overpriced for the performance.

My opinion of their triports is that they lacked midrange, and any notable treble. Their in-ear triports were incredibly lacking in definition and imaging. They were just not articulate, though their over-ears are quiet comfortable.
Quote by cheeseman3001

Yeah because on commercials they never ever tell you that their product is the best.
Quote by wolfhowl11

Those dont fall out! And they have the best sound of any headphones Ive ever heard.
Shure E2Cs. They're AMAZING. AND DONT FALL OUT! haha
i have a pair of senheissers. they're nice. i think they make pretty good headphones in that sort of price range.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
I have some earbuds, the kind sold with the Zune's, and they fit inside the ear. Very comfortable and great sound. If they dont fit they come with extra pieces of rubber to adjust to the size of your ear.

You can find them seperate or with the zune too lol
Quote by C O B H C
If you want to get really technical about it..

1. Grab sticks.
2. Bang sticks on drums.

^how to play drums.

UG POKER
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
^your earbuds suck.

Well, the Aurvanas are alright.

Not sure if those are what come with the Zune, though.
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
^your earbuds suck.

Some of them do, you just gotta get some good ones. I had some like it that really sucked, but the ones they sold with the original zune rock.
Quote by C O B H C
If you want to get really technical about it..

1. Grab sticks.
2. Bang sticks on drums.

^how to play drums.

UG POKER
Please, whatever you do TS, DON'T get Skullcandy headphones.

Go for some Sennheiser or Audio-Technica headphones.
I have a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-A500's and I LOVE them.
Are you looking for closed or open headphones?
Anyway, the AKG and Audio-Technica suggestions are good. I'd also add Grado to that list, and perhaps even certain models of Sennheisers.
Closed enough to withstand semi-loud environments (public transportation.)

Thanks for the help so far guys.
Well, if you got some money, i'd go for the shure e3's. I have', i run with them and they dont fall out. Great sound quality. And for those public transportations, you won't hear a damn thing cept for your music.
Quote by KetchupLad14
Are those worth buying? I'm seriously considering them.

Or is there anything else that's better for a similar price?

They're the best I've tried for closed phones under $100. They have an excellent, very well-balanced sound.
Quote by KetchupLad14
Are those worth buying? I'm seriously considering them.

Or is there anything else that's better for a similar price?

For closed headphones, I personally prefer the AKG 414s, but they sit on your ears and are quite tight for some people. Their sound is more extended in the bass range, with approximately the same treble response as the Senn 280s.

In that price range, the Alessandro MS1 is my favourite by a long shot, but they're open and allow sounds in and out, which makes them only usable in quiet, private environments. For home use, you'd be hard pressed to find better cans.
Quote by Kutanmoogle
For closed headphones, I personally prefer the AKG 414s, but they sit on your ears and are quite tight for some people.

Nothing a stack of books can't fix.

Also check out the AKG K81DJ. They're more portable than the Senns.

EDIT: I also love Alessandros and Grados but most of their open models leak so much sound that they sometimes defeat the purpose of having headphones on in the first place.
Last edited by crust_punk at Mar 11, 2008,
I use a $50 set of sony hifi headphones, nothing beats them.

ALthough the chord is exetremely long.
Quote by crust_punk
Nothing a stack of books can't fix.

Also check out the AKG K81DJ. They're more portable than the Senns.

EDIT: I also love Alessandros and Grados but most of their open models leak so much sound that they sometimes defeat the purpose of having headphones on in the first place.

Haha, yeah it saddens me that I can't take my Alessandro sound with me on the bus, while running etc. But eh, that's why I have the 414s
Get Grados. i've had mine for a few years, they are fantastic. You can get a decent pair for like 70 USD.

Gear:
Rickenbacker 620
Vox Valvetronix AD60VTX
Snarling Dog Whino Wah
Not Enough cables
I can't relate to the never ending games you play.
^I almost agree, but I really think you'd need a closed phone to be on the train/bus.

You definitely would not be able to listen to Grados at the necessary volume on a noisy bus.

For home use you can't beat em though. You just gotta make sure you try them, cause I know the treble was overwhelming for my ears.
Quote by pancakes
Get Grados. i've had mine for a few years, they are fantastic. You can get a decent pair for like 70 USD.

They are fantastic, indeed. However, he's looking for closed headphones.

Quote by Kutanmoogle
Haha, yeah it saddens me that I can't take my Alessandro sound with me on the bus, while running etc. But eh, that's why I have the 414s

How many headphones do you have?!
I'm actually looking for new IEMs now, even thought I find them uncomfortable.
Quote by crust_punk
They are fantastic, indeed. However, he's looking for closed headphones.

How many headphones do you have?!
I'm actually looking for new IEMs now, even thought I find them uncomfortable.

Two real pairs: Alessandro MS1 and AKG 414s.

I have a ton of assorted crappy earbuds, and this pair of Mirai headphones that I got for 10 bones at best buy once. Those don't count really.

As for IEMs, my friend's brother suggested a pair of Etymotic (forgot what model, whichever are around a hundred bucks) buds, until he found out that I despise the Senn sound.

So if you like Senn, go Etymotic I guess?
i got a pair of Philips SHN9500
85% noise cancelling
mute button; so you dont have to take off the headphones to talk to someone
between 90-100 CDN (seeing as I live there)
sound quality is pretty amazing, compared to alot of other headphones

oh, and Shure earbuds are one of the only earbuds I would go for if I really needed a pair, other wise its all headphones for me.
Quote by glm
I love you for saying that.

after I said "if the Governator could do it; so can Mr. Colbert"
Quick question, I know basically nothing about headphones just having the ones that came with my ipod,where do ipod headphones fit in comparison with all of these? Do $100 Shure Headphones make a 100x differance? I'm just curious
Rig:
Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Red
Fender Highway One Strat w/ 2 Seymour Duncan Hot Rails & Dimarzio X2N

Boss SD-1
Boss TU-2
Traynor YCV50 Blue
Quote by mack_attack_17
Quick question, I know basically nothing about headphones just having the ones that came with my ipod,where do ipod headphones fit in comparison with all of these? Do $100 Shure Headphones make a 100x differance? I'm just curious

http://www.headphone.com/technical/product-measurements/build-a-graph/

The ipod earbuds are pretty bad, actually. The 100 dollar Shure earbuds will reveal deeper bass tones, more evenly represent everything (so every note on the guitar, for example, will sound like it would in real life), while having superior detail so that you'll be able to hear more instruments more easily.

Whether the price difference is worth it is up to you, but know that the step from cheap 20 dollar Skullcandies to 100 dollar Shures, Grado, AKG etc will be a huge jump. a bigger jump in sound than going from the 200 dollar Grados to the 2000 dollar GS-1000.