Is there a humbucker sized single coil available anywhere?
I know of the humbucker sized P-90s like the SD Phat Cat and some of the GFS pups, but are there any actual humbucker sized pups that sound like single coils?
Can't you get those stacked humbuckers?
Quote by killedbyaspork
because there is also a gibson squire, and they don't want to get them confused
coild split your humbucker guitar, you get teh best of both wrlds that way
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
Quote by ChaoticVengence
coild split your humbucker guitar, you get teh best of both wrlds that way

++1
Does a coil-split humbucker sound like a single coil? Or would a humbucker-sized P-90 have a better sound?
what about that new Seymour Duncan pickup that is a single coil coil and a P90 coil but both wired together is a humbucker? I've been wanting to try one of those out, personally.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
Im sure someone makes them but it'd probably have to be a custom (thus expensive) job. The Gibson P90/ p94 etc is the only mainstream one I know of (other than Fernandes Sustainer drivers which don't really count). Coil-splitting is rubbish if you want to use a singlecoil sound regularly, If you're particularly desperate I'm sure some of the custom shops would make one for you but i doubt it'd be worthwhile. Swineshead and Bareknuckle might be good places to start.

Depending on the guitar it may be easier to mount a singlecoil straight into the pickup rout, though it could look a little odd.
Quote by hell_monkey
Is there a humbucker sized single coil available anywhere?
I know of the humbucker sized P-90s like the SD Phat Cat and some of the GFS pups, but are there any actual humbucker sized pups that sound like single coils?

What you could do is:

-get a single coil of your choice

-get a bit of plexiglass

1) cut the plexiglas to the size of the humbucker route, so that it covers the hole completely and can be screwed in. Basically, you want it to be the size of a mounting ring.

2) cut out a hole in the plexiglas the size of the single coil

3) install the pickup in the plexiglas like you would when installing it into a pickguard

4) wire the guitar

Essentially, you're making a mini-pickguard to fit the single coil. One advantage of this is that you can get any regular single coil you like.

It's a pretty cheap fix and when done properly it should look fine.

If you haven't got a clue what I'm talking about, check this video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YOx0ZQnAsgU

Look closely at the neck pickup.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Mar 11, 2008,
I don't have any of the tools, skills or confidence in my competence with power tools to even think about something like that
Quote by hell_monkey
I don't have any of the tools, skills or confidence in my competence with power tools to even think about something like that

It shouldn't be too hard.

I once had to make a bio fuel cell out of plexiglas and it turned out quite nice (keeping in mind I'm a complete dick with most power tools).

Besides, if you start with the plexiglass, the worst thing that can happen is that you ruin a piece of plastic worth about 1.50$
You've read it, you can't un-read it!