Recently, I've been working on long legato runs that have slides in them, like this;

--13-10-12-13-12-10[B]sl[/B]8-10-12-10-8--------------------------
-----------------------------------12 10 8

But the note I slide to and the ones after it don't sound as well as the ones before, does anyone have any tips or a run down of how I should do it to get the notes to sound right?
Last edited by diminishedtobme at Mar 11, 2008,
That's a decent sized stretch for sure.

I'm pretty sure you want that distinctive sliding sound that nobody else can hear right? Otherwise I'd just say tap it.

What you could try, although it is "cheating" and "noobish" (and nobody will notice...) is when you have your first finger on the 10th fret, use your pinky to come in and slide to the 18th fret without it actually having a defined "starting point". Basically just have it come down on the string while doing the sliding motion up to the 18.

If you don't want to do either, I'm not sure...
Oh, thats not an 18 its an 8, my bad for not making it clear, I bolded the "sl" for slide. Still thanks for the advice, Ill try it on large stretches.
a strong hammer/pull after sliding should bring the remaining notes back.

just make sure you hammer/pull to the note youre sliding from very strongly as well.

if youre having problems you might just need to practice your left hand strength a bit more or your action might not be optimal for you, i would have no problem at all playing that (i admit the 8 will always sound slightly weaker than the rest). usually sliding along the frets will put some more momentum back into the string, keep a decent grip while sliding is the only other thing i can think of.
Quote by diminishedtobme
Oh, thats not an 18 its an 8, my bad for not making it clear, I bolded the "sl" for slide. Still thanks for the advice, Ill try it on large stretches.

Haha ok, I had my suspicions. I didn't think a Bb would have fitted in that run. I'm just used to seeing a slide as just s.
Hey guys, Last night I continued working on that lick using the advice you gave me and I found some improvement but not much, Im confused about keeping my index finger bared on the 10 or should I keep it of. What do you think would be better?
Quote by diminishedtobme
Hey guys, Last night I continued working on that lick using the advice you gave me and I found some improvement but not much, Im confused about keeping my index finger bared on the 10 or should I keep it of. What do you think would be better?

Personally I wouldn't just because the slide to the 8th fret. Actually I might. Really depends on where I'm implementing it. Just practicing the run by itself though, I don't think I would.
Quote by Avedas
Personally I wouldn't just because the slide to the 8th fret. Actually I might. Really depends on where I'm implementing it. Just practicing the run by itself though, I don't think I would.

I would do a shift slide, it makes it easier to play. It doesn't get the really smooth legato though, but at high speeds that little slide won't make a difference anyway.
Quote by ouchies
I would do a shift slide, it makes it easier to play. It doesn't get the really smooth legato though, but at high speeds that little slide won't make a difference anyway.

Yeah, I was actually trying this out earlier and found that the best way to do it.
just practise it. Simple as that. At loud volume so the mistakes are blaringly obvious and then with the guitar unplugged so you have to hit it hard to hear it. Mix that up and you'll be fine. But you have to put the yards in.