Page 1 of 2
I tried to check out the different guitar's brand by myself but the more I know, the more I'm lost.

I've been playing with a Epiphone Special II for about a year now but I hate that guitar so much for its poor quality of sound.

There's a store around here that sells for pretty much the same price than those websites and Ebay ( I'm in Canada so I can't buy from those sites ).

I don't want to go over a thousand dollar or so. The reason I'm asking for help here is because I don't know any guitarist and I don't trust the people at the store to tell me what guitar to buy, they already showed me that I shouldn't trust them.

I like to play rock and punk music, I love pretty much everything except metal.

They want to sell me a Hagstrom Super Swede guitar for 599.99 with the case. I'd love to have your opinion on that particular guitar and I would love any suggestion to help me to make my mind or any suggestion of guitars. Are there stuff that I should look out for and guitars that have a bad reputation.
dont get that guitar. awful.
i suggest a tele with a humbucker in the neck. classic punk.
Gear:

2007 Fender Highway 1 Stratocaster (MIA)

Mesa Boogie Express 5:25

Yamaha Acoustic

Member of the Eric Johnson Worshippers Club.
Quote by strat_7
dont get that guitar. awful.
i suggest a tele with a humbucker in the neck. classic punk.

Could you show me one ? I don't really know what is a humbucker
Quote by TinyJimbo
I tried to check out the different guitar's brand by myself but the more I know, the more I'm lost.

I've been playing with a Epiphone Special II for about a year now but I hate that guitar so much for its poor quality of sound.

There's a store around here that sells for pretty much the same price than those websites and Ebay ( I'm in Canada so I can't buy from those sites ).

I don't want to go over a thousand dollar or so. The reason I'm asking for help here is because I don't know any guitarist and I don't trust the people at the store to tell me what guitar to buy, they already showed me that I shouldn't trust them.

I like to play rock and punk music, I love pretty much everything except metal.

They want to sell me a Hagstrom Super Swede guitar for 599.99 with the case. I'd love to have your opinion on that particular guitar and I would love any suggestion to help me to make my mind or any suggestion of guitars. Are there stuff that I should look out for and guitars that have a bad reputation.

I think you should also look at what amp you have as well if you wish to improve your sound. What is it? For $1000 you could change both, and still get decent quality.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
I think you should also look at what amp you have as well if you wish to improve your sound. What is it? For $1000 you could change both, and still get decent quality.

I have a Marshall mg30 dfx and a digitech rp100a multi-effect pedal. I really wish to get the best guitar I can and later if I need to change the amp.
Quote by TinyJimbo
I have a Marshall mg30 dfx and a digitech rp100a multi-effect pedal. I really wish to get the best guitar I can and later if I need to change the amp.

Well there's half the reason for your tone problems right there. I understand that you want to get a good guitar, but playing the best guitar in the world through that amp will not improve your tone as much as a new amp would. What I suggest is:

Guitar: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Standard-Electric-Guitar?sku=518341X

Amp: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Traynor-Custom-Valve-20WR-YCV20WR-15W-Class-A-1x12-Combo-Amp-with-Celestion-Speaker?sku=480980

EDIT: Or if that amp's a little pricey, http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Palomino-v16-Class-A-Tube-Combo-Amp?sku=487826
Quote by bartdevil_metal
Well there's half the reason for your tone problems right there. I understand that you want to get a good guitar, but playing the best guitar in the world through that amp will not improve your tone as much as a new amp would. What I suggest is:

Guitar: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Standard-Electric-Guitar?sku=518341X

Amp: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Traynor-Custom-Valve-20WR-YCV20WR-15W-Class-A-1x12-Combo-Amp-with-Celestion-Speaker?sku=480980

EDIT: Or if that amp's a little pricey, http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Palomino-v16-Class-A-Tube-Combo-Amp?sku=487826

It's more of a goal I have to get a better gear. I want to invest all I have now on a guitar and later, maybe in august get another amp.

So I really wish to focus now on the guitar. I'm a student so I'll have the money after the summer to buy another amp, and I saved all winter for a guitar.
Listen please. You are having tone problems, right? That means you will want a new amp. Heres a good rig. Crate V32 and Schecter C-1 Plus.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Palomino-v32-Class-A-Tube-Combo-Amp?sku=487828

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-C1-Plus-Electric-Guitar?sku=513010

Trust me or at least try that setup out.
Listen please. You are having tone problems, right? That means you will want a new amp. Heres a good rig. Crate V32 and Schecter C-1 Plus.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Palomino-v32-Class-A-Tube-Combo-Amp?sku=487828

[url]http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-C1-Plus-Electric-Guitar?sku=513010

Trust me or at least try that setup out.

A bit Br00talz for someone who doesn't play metal wouldn't you say?
The Schecter is actually a very bluesy/classic rock guitar despite the Schecter name. Pulls of punk easily and is the best quality in that price range IMO. Plus, that amp couldn't pull of br00talz without some serious OD and EQ help.
Well, having never tried one, I stand corrected.

TS, I understand that you just want a guitar, but if you buy a new guitar and not a new amp do NOT expect any miracles tone wise. Playability wise and maybe a little bit tone wise, yes. I'm not trying to change your mind, but don't come back here saying "You told me that this would sound better", because it won't. I think it was Dave_Mc (the master of analogies) who said "A good guitar with a bad amp is like polishing a turd. You can make it all shiny and nice, but underneath, it's still a turd."

You have been warned.
I'm not a big fan on Epiphone

What about the new standard stratocaster ? I could get one for 1149.99.
By the way, I really appreciate your help !

Why is my current amp so bad ? It's a marshall and I paid something like 350 for it so it should be good enought right ?

And I want to buy the guitar first because I'm not so sure of buying an amp this summer so I'd rather have a nice guitar.

If I stick with my crappy guitar and a very good amp, the sound will still be crappy ?
Marshall MGs are terrible and sorry to say you got ripped off paying $350 for it. You could pay that much for a used one of what I suggested earlier which would be 4567 times better. Plus, why are you hesitent to buy an amp AND guitar. You could easily get a pretty kickass rig for a grand if you buy used. All you would ever need is what I already suggested. IF you really want a guitar, the Schecter I suggested would be good and so would that Epiphone Elitist.
The thing is that I don't want a temporary good sound, I want something that will be great for a very long time. I want to get the best guitar I can for a thousand buck now and then get the amp.

I want the guitar now because I can't stand my other one anymore and the amp doesn't bother me right now.

So there's the Epiphone Elitist that you suggested. What other guitar would be good and why ?

( I'm insisting here but I worked very hard all winter to get the money and I really want to make the best choice )
You want the best sound for a very long time, right? Guitars don't dictate sound as much as amps do. Amps can be up to 70% of your tone. Understand? Playing your guitar through a 1000 dollar amp will sound soooo much better than a 1000 dollar guitar through your terrible amp. It's the sad reality.
Guys you are showing him stuff based on American Dollars but he said in his first post that he is in Canada so I'm asuming he is talking in Canadian Dollars here. If he isn't fair enough but I just thought I'd mention it incase some of you think he's talking in USD here.
Quote by TinyJimbo
By the way, I really appreciate your help !

Why is my current amp so bad ? It's a marshall and I paid something like 350 for it so it should be good enought right ?

And I want to buy the guitar first because I'm not so sure of buying an amp this summer so I'd rather have a nice guitar.

If I stick with my crappy guitar and a very good amp, the sound will still be crappy ?

Your amp says Marshall on the front but it isn't a proper Marshall. The Marshall sound you are most probably familiar with is the high end Marshall sound of Plexi's or JCM800's (i.e Led Zepplin, AC/DC, GnR, stuf like that), in a nutshell, TUBE Marshalls. The MG is the very bottom of the pile when it comes to Marshall and most other amps. The reason it sells is because of the famous name on the front.

It is widely regarded that somewhere between 70%-85% of the quality of your sound comes from your amp. That is why - because you say you are unhappy with your sound - people (including myself) are going to suggest getting a new amp. In the long run it is what's best for you and the sound you are trying to achieve. If you really truely feel that your guitar really is that unbelievably unlivable with for a few months even though you will have a better sound with a new amp then fair enough, I mean I myself bought a new guitar before a better amp because I physically couldn't play the guitar I had at the time, though that wasn't to do with the sound.....purely playability.

So to sum up, if it is the playability of your guitar that's the problem, get a new guitar. If it's your sound that's the problem, get a new amp.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Quote by acdcrocks0323
You want the best sound for a very long time, right? Guitars don't dictate sound as much as amps do. Amps can be up to 70% of your tone. Understand? Playing your guitar through a 1000 dollar amp will sound soooo much better than a 1000 dollar guitar through your terrible amp. It's the sad reality.

So I'll get a better sound from my guitar and a new amp than a new guitar and my actual amp ?

What would be the differences between the two combinations ?
Even though you guys are all recommending these 800$+ guitars, I'm going to stuck with something simple. A couple of my favorites (these are just types, there are usually a ton of varieties of these):
Gibson Explorer
Gibson SG
Fender Strat

Fender Tele
Dean Razorback
Ibanex GRX20
Minarik Inferno
Axl Mayhem Jackknife
Ibanez Iceman
Schecter Synyster

These are just my favorites, the best at the top.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Quote by TinyJimbo
So I'll get a better sound from my guitar and a new amp than a new guitar and my actual amp ?

Your guitar and a new amp will sound loads better than a new guitar and your current amp. You see, the pickups in a guitar produce a very weak signal, and that signal is picked up through the cable, and sent to the amp. The amp is what shapes the tone with preamps, and power amps. The EQ (the knobs that usually say Treble, Bass, and Mids) are what further shape this. the signal is then outputed to the speaker and comes out as what you hear. Tube amplifiers are generally better at doing this than solid states as they provide more warmth and pure tone. Tube amplifiers can be identified by cylinders that you find at the back of your amplifier. the Marshall MGs are not tube. They are SS amps, which have ok Headroom (volume before getting distorted) but when they do distort (on the non-gain chanell) they create a harsh fizzy and annoying clip. That is what amps do to your tone.
What I suggest you do is invest In a Traynor YCV 50 or 40. I found one certain amp going for 600. Because they are manufactured in canada I believe you can get them cheaper where you are at. The 50 has a little less gain than the 40 but is cheaper and covers everything you need, it can do great cleans , to gritty raw punk rock. If you got some cash after I suggest a MIM stratocaster. Best of luck!
Quote by TinyJimbo

I have Fender starcaster. THE bottom of the line, basically like a squire. I used to play a spider III amp, which is comperable to your MG. I also have a vox DA amp and a Valvetronix, which has a tube pre-amp. A vox DA is ten times better than my spider, and the valvetronix sounded ten times better than the DA. Therefore, with the same **** ass guitar, I was able to improve my tone 20x from what it was, just by getting a new amp. I have an Ibanez and to be honest, I play my 100 dollar fender more often.

The only big differences that you will get from getting a new guitar tone wise if you go to a single coil sound from a humbucker sound, which is what your LP has, and if you get a semi hollow or full hollow guitar, which is unlikely since you play punk. Unless playability is your problem.

Get an amp. Like a valveking or a valvetronix, or something like that.
Well here what's I'm gonna do !

I'll put this thread in my favourites an when I'll be ready to buy either the amp of the guitar I'll go and get the opinions of the people at the guitar shop and then tell you what they told me so I can have your opinion on it.

Thanks for everything and I'll give you guys news before buying !
Quote by imgooley
I have Fender starcaster. THE bottom of the line, basically like a squire. I used to play a spider III amp, which is comperable to your MG. I also have a vox DA amp and a Valvetronix, which has a tube pre-amp. A vox DA is ten times better than my spider, and the valvetronix sounded ten times better than the DA. Therefore, with the same **** ass guitar, I was able to improve my tone 20x from what it was, just by getting a new amp. I have an Ibanez and to be honest, I play my 100 dollar fender more often.

The only big differences that you will get from getting a new guitar tone wise if you go to a single coil sound from a humbucker sound, which is what your LP has, and if you get a semi hollow or full hollow guitar, which is unlikely since you play punk. Unless playability is your problem.

Get an amp. Like a valveking or a valvetronix, or something like that.

Actually, that would be 100 times better than your first amp. Yes I am a nerd. Shoot me.
Hey I just realized that the amps can be shipped in Canada, so I might get one during this week ! ( and use the financing ). http://www.musiciansfriend.com/canada

I decided to accept the fact that I should get a new amp instead of a guitar. Yes it's very cool to have a nice guitar but it won't be intelligent.

So now I need a new amp, which one

You suggested me a tube amp, that's all I know. I don't really need a loud amp because I only play in my room just next to the amp. My 30 watt as never been pushed to the max, the walls will crush ! Have fun

ps : please check out if the amp can be shipped in Canada and it needs to be at least 399.99 for the financing. I would like the amp to be good even if I later buy a better guitar.
Last edited by TinyJimbo at Mar 12, 2008,
Well if you've never pushed an MG 30 watt then if you go tube a 30 watt would be more than you would need then some. I'm guessing maybe a 15 watt or 30 at the most. I would check out the recommendations made by the other people earlier in the thread.
What I suggest you do is invest In a Traynor YCV 50 or 40. I found one certain amp going for 600. Because they are manufactured in canada I believe you can get them cheaper where you are at. The 50 has a little less gain than the 40 but is cheaper and covers everything you need, it can do great cleans , to gritty raw punk rock. If you got some cash after I suggest a MIM stratocaster. Best of luck!

(REPOST)
Quote by TinyJimbo
Hey I just realized that the amps can be shipped in Canada, so I might get one during this week ! ( and use the financing ). http://www.musiciansfriend.com/canada

I decided to accept the fact that I should get a new amp instead of a guitar. Yes it's very cool to have a nice guitar but it won't be intelligent.

So now I need a new amp, which one

You suggested me a tube amp, that's all I know. I don't really need a loud amp because I only play in my room just next to the amp. My 30 watt as never been pushed to the max, the walls will crush ! Have fun

ps : please check out if the amp can be shipped in Canada and it needs to be at least 399.99 for the financing. I would like the amp to be good even if I later buy a better guitar.

;l`ewjgnq[;FJ;AOISGH\pwkgsbo'jwSGLNAER;IGJBARWGJ!!

Dammit! I already told you that!

[quote="bartdevil_metal

To quote me.
Last edited by bartdevil_metal at Mar 12, 2008,
I agree that I wouldn't change the guitar to improve the tone. I would change the guitar if I didn't like the way it played (i.e. body, neck, fretboard, etc.) Or I would change the guitar if I wanted a totally different type (i.e. single coil vs. humbucker pickups). Otherwise, upgrade your amp. Some people think upgrading pickups will make a big difference, but I think everyone would agree that the amp comes first.

As for the Hagstrom Super Swede, it is absolutely not an awful guitar. In fact, it is quite a good guitar. $599 including the case sounds ok, but I think you might be able to do a bit better, and still get a new amp for less than $1000. Where did you get that price? What city do you live in?

--- D
[rant]
1. Just going to say that whoever said Hagstrom is awful should really play one before they judge it. They have the closest tone to a Les Paul you can get, and the price is unbeatable.

2. You should probably spend money on a guitar and amp, but considering you said you want to spend a lot of money on a guitar, look into more of the higher end Hagstrom's. I really push these guitars, and no, im not a salesperson, I play them and love them to death.

3. SurfinwithSatch should realize that the Canadian dollar is worth more than the american right now, and that if he buys from the states, he should pay in canadian and get it for cheaper. I am going to the states to get my boogie....its is $400 cheaper there.
[/rant]
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
Fender Distortion isn't all that great. Cleans are excellent though.

But is it a good amp ? Even if not the greatest, will it do a great job for rock ?
Quote by acdcrocks0323
The blues junior will be good for blues and cleans. I say try a Crate V16 or used Traynor YCV20

But I only have acces to this one and vox semi-tube amps wich I don't like. I can't buy from musicianfriends after all because I live in Quebec.

So I'd like to know what I can expect for a rock playing with the fender junior please
Just to put this out there, the Canadian Dollar is stronger than the US Dollar
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
Quote by RHCPfan01
Just to put this out there, the Canadian Dollar is stronger than the US Dollar

It's because they don't Ship in Quebec, not the dollar value. All because of a pro-french law.
Page 1 of 2