Other than the shiny pickup covers and the block inlays on the fretboard, and maybe a few color-scheme related things, what is the major difference between the American Standard Jazz bass and the Vintage '62 and Vintage '75 Jazz basses, as far as sound, playability and features?
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
Ive been wondering the same thing about the Vintage Precision Basses

so only a mini-hijack, heh
My Gear:
MIM Jazz fretless
180W Ashdown 12"
GAS:
NOTHING
Quote by Mongoose87
Other than the shiny pickup covers and the block inlays on the fretboard, and maybe a few color-scheme related things, what is the major difference between the American Standard Jazz bass and the Vintage '62 and Vintage '75 Jazz basses, as far as sound, playability and features?

the vintage 62 has a different control layout to the 75 and MIA standard. As we all know the MIA standard has a control layout of neck volume, bridge volume, master tone. Whereas the 62 reissue has a volume and tone control for each pickup.

As for the 75 i think the only differences are the looks because people want the look of a 70s fender without the hassle that inevitably comes with them.

I can also assume that the pickups are voiced more like their original counterparts on both reissue models
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Stop. Stop now. Everybody. Stop.

We're talking '62 and '75 Jazz reissues, or real things, it doesn't matter. There are huge differences.

First of all, one has a maple fingerboard and the other is rosewood.

One is ash. The other is alder.

The electronics are TOTALLY DIFFERENT in both, especially the tone controls. The '62 has stack knobs which have much lower output than the 3 knob version.

The '75 has a totally different bridge pickup placement (i.e. Totally. Different. Sound.)

The '75 has a 3 bold neck joint.

The '62 has a nitro finish, and the '75 has a poly finish - ALL OVER. HUGE DIFFERENCE.

Other than that, I can't think of any differences.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Stop. Stop now. Everybody. Stop.

We're talking '62 and '75 Jazz reissues, or real things, it doesn't matter. There are huge differences.

First of all, one has a maple fingerboard and the other is rosewood.

One is ash. The other is alder.

The electronics are TOTALLY DIFFERENT in both, especially the tone controls. The '62 has stack knobs which have much lower output than the 3 knob version.

The '75 has a totally different bridge pickup placement (i.e. Totally. Different. Sound.)

The '75 has a 3 bold neck joint.

The '62 has a nitro finish, and the '75 has a poly finish - ALL OVER. HUGE DIFFERENCE.

Other than that, I can't think of any differences.

Pretty much hit the nail right on the head.

ps. why'd you change your DP, the other was awesome
Quote by yawn
Don't type in all caps.

Otherwise You Look Like A Complete Moron.

Quote by jazz_rock_feel
1) Bold print. Reason? Y/N?
Quote by AccidentsHappen
Pretty much hit the nail right on the head.

ps. why'd you change your DP, the other was awesome

This one is much smartassier.

I was gonna put a "Press Button, Receive Bacon" animated gif, but it was too large. Dammut!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
This one is much smartassier.

I was gonna put a "Press Button, Receive Bacon" animated gif, but it was too large. Dammut!

I would pay to have an avatar like that.

Not much, mind you.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
Fitz, how did you become such a great Fender bass mind? Is there a site that has the specs of every fender bass that was ever produced? Tell me man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I guess I'm an obsessive hobbyist. Was like this with Star Wars, then computer parts, then PS2 games, and now bass stuff. I guess I just retain a lot of useless crap.

I wish I could know this much stuff about Computer Science so I could get good marks and not have to worry about it all the time

I guess maybe I remember a lot of stuff like this to reassure myself that I know something at least!

Hey, maybe I should get a psych degree...
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz

Hey, maybe I should get a psych degree...

my brother briefly considered that, i don't think i've ever given anyone so much **** in such a brief span of time. needless to say he's a molecular and cellular biology major now.
Quote by skater dan0
...and the bassist comes up to the EQ and moves all the sliders into the typical smiley face pattern and in a really thick Jamaican accent said "you can't have de bass without de smiley face"
Sorry to be a bit spammy, but I figured out a way to shrink that image and now I have a Super Avatar!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
Sorry to be a bit spammy, but I figured out a way to shrink that image and now I have a Super Avatar!

from what i hear the 70's one has a better tone, however beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.
Quote by MeltingWaxFace
Your first mistake was getting a Chinese lady to cut your hair.

Your second mistake was getting someone who doesn't speak English to cut your hair.

Your third mistake was listening to your dicklock parents.