I finally got my GFS pups in and working

Playing, playing, playing... wait whats this!!??? As I play around the 12 fret I notice a drastic change in sound. Ends up the strings are touching the bridge pickup ring, starting when around the 12 fret.

DO I need this ring? It's really getting in my way. It's a strat so the PU are already screwed into the pickguard.

Also has anyone succesfully removed a pickguard w\o taking off the strings? I just put some new ones on and I don;t want to take them off, cuz that will ruin them right? I'm trying to take them off but no luck so far
so what ur saying is the string hits the pick up? and also i used to remove the pickgard all the time while the stings were on with my old p.o.s. korean-wannabe-strat(it was still the exact body and pickgaurd from a fender, just WAY crappier materials), just unwind the strings a bit.
Quote by HaKattack
Pop Tarts. Strudels are a Austrian invention; Hitler was also from Austria.
Obviously, Toaster Strudels are the same as Toaster NAZIS.
No, you cant take the pickguard off without taking the strings off. But taking the strings off is fine, I have done it several times. Just loosen the strings until they come off. Put them back on the way you would put a new set of strings on the guitar.
A pic of the problematic bridge pickup might help to show what you're trying to say, because it sounds like there's a weird problem here.
"A guitar is the human soul, speaking with just six strings..."- Eddie Lee

Irvine Kinneas of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM me, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
Stomp on it and it will sound better...lol...id just take it off and mod it as needed and put it back together...better to do it right then screw it up trying to get around it
MIM Fender Telecaster Boss CH1
Ltd 400 EC Original Cry Baby
Fender Acoustic
Orange Rockerverb 100
Orange 4x12
Well I lowered the pickup so its not sticking out of the ring.
Also I tried raising thr action but it's just too high and it;s still hitting th ring at the higher frets.

I'll try and take a pic.

Quote by skvvisgaar
But taking the strings off is fine, I have done it several times. Just loosen the strings until they come off. Put them back on the way you would put a new set of strings on the guitar.

Before I put the new stirngs on I put on my old ones to see if the PU work. The E string unwound itself and the e string snapped :p
Last edited by Steel8909 at Mar 11, 2008,
wait. have you put the pickup ring on top of the pickguard? because thats what i'm getting from your post
If you have, just take the pickup ring off and go straight into the pickguard.

And you can take a pickguard off by just loosening the strings, but its a lot more effort than just restringing your guitar aha
Quote by TomR
wait. have you put the pickup ring on top of the pickguard? because thats what i'm getting from your post
If you have, just take the pickup ring off and go straight into the pickguard.

And you can take a pickguard off by just loosening the strings, but its a lot more effort than just restringing your guitar aha

Yeah, if you have a pickguard on a Strat/SG/Tele/RG style guitar, then you don't need the rings.

The rings just offer an aesthetically-pleasing mechanism for mouting the pickups.. they have no real benefit.
I think, perhaps, he is referring to the pole piece as the PU and the pickup cover as the pickup ring.
"We are, each of us, angels with but one wing, and only by embracing one another may we fly."- Luciano de Crescenzo

Makes you feel good inside, don't it?
Quote by Van The Darksyd
I think, perhaps, he is referring to the pole piece as the PU and the pickup cover as the pickup ring.

He said "Well I lowered the pickup so its not sticking out of the ring. "

He can't be talking about the poles.
Quote by -MintSauce-
Yeah, if you have a pickguard on a Strat/SG/Tele/RG style guitar, then you don't need the rings.

The rings just offer an aesthetically-pleasing mechanism for mouting the pickups.. they have no real benefit.

Ya I took it off and it works perfectly without them.

But I had to take the strings off, as I was putting them back on the B string snapped. There goes $6 :p I knew this would happen to I bought 2 packs
yea thatll happen...at least its good now....what gfs pups did you get?....how do they sound. ive been considering getting some single coils for a squire budget/sleeper project i can relic.
Fender Acoustic
Orange Rockerverb 100
Orange 4x12
Quote by N!ck897
yea thatll happen...at least its good now....what gfs pups did you get?....how do they sound. ive been considering getting some single coils for a squire budget/sleeper project i can relic.

Hard to tell as I'm playing through an SS amp, though it does sound pretty good. I'll play it through a tube amp soon, cant wait
are your pickups single coil?....which model....well you can always tell if they are better tahn the last on any amp
Fender Acoustic
Orange Rockerverb 100
Orange 4x12