Hello everyone,

I have an ESP KH-2 neck through body guitar and I noticed that there seem to be a couple of frets that are high. Not too bad, but if I put a straight edge across three frets I can slightly rock it on the high fret. The neck does have a minimal bow on it (about 0.015") - does it have to be perfectly flat before I check for high frets by putting a straight edge on three frets at a time?

Am I right in thinking that there shouldn't be any rocking with a straight edge even when the neck has a slight bow like it does?

If I'm going about testing for high frets wrong, what is the correct way?

Thank you,

-Allistah
push down on the first fret and the highest fret you have, the string should be a couple milimeters from the fret.
My sig used to be so awesome it got me banned
I'm no expert in this, but I do know that the neck of a guitar does bow slightly. Does your guitar have fret buzz? Because, if it doesn't, I don't see any reason to change a thing. Why fix what's not broken?

EDIT:

Quote by Your_Dad
push down on the first fret and the highest fret you have, the string should be a couple milimeters from the fret.

Actually, I think you're supposed to push down on the first fret and the fret where the neck meets the body. What you're essentially doing is putting a straight edge (the string) across the neck so you can seen the neck's bow, which should be a couple of millimeters.
Last edited by -Rane- at Mar 11, 2008,
...also, a few mm? No way. That's crazy bowed. To my knowledge, it should be so that a thin E can slip between the string and the fret.

A straight edge should touch all the frets when your neck is 100% straight, so if the bow you're talking about is forward bow (as it should), then you should not be able to rock a straight edge over any frets at all.
Quote by Allistah
Hello everyone,

I have an ESP KH-2 neck through body guitar and I noticed that there seem to be a couple of frets that are high. Not too bad, but if I put a straight edge across three frets I can slightly rock it on the high fret. The neck does have a minimal bow on it (about 0.015") - does it have to be perfectly flat before I check for high frets by putting a straight edge on three frets at a time?

Am I right in thinking that there shouldn't be any rocking with a straight edge even when the neck has a slight bow like it does?

If I'm going about testing for high frets wrong, what is the correct way?

Thank you,

-Allistah

that way is right. thats how you test for high frets. leveling the frets might be a little harder though. i took mine to a tech when i had a high fret.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard