Ok, well I posted this a while back on Harmony Central cause I couldn't figure out how the hell to use the FX-Loop on my Mark IV and I just ended up giving up. However, now I want to use my Delay, Reverb and Noise Suppressor in the loop because (the first two) sound like crap distorted in front of the amp and I've been playing a lot more lower-gain stuff that they could be useful on.

I've used the FX-Loop on many amps and I just can't figure out why this one won't work.

When I try it through the footswitchable loop, it does absolutely nothing. When I put it through the normal loop, it cuts my volume DRAMATICALLY to which I had it loud enough to play with my band to where it was slightly louder than headphones at full volume on a CD player, etc, yet still, no effect can be heard. And yes, I'm using the send from the Mark IV, into my pedal, then the output from the pedal, into the fx return.

There's nothing wrong with the cables either as they work fine running the pedals in front of the amp. I also tried switching out the V2 (used for FX Return) as well as all the others in the preamp and that didn't work either.

I just can't figure it out, wtf am I doing wrong?

(I have an older '92 Rev A version if that helps)
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Maybe there's something wrong with the loop? Apart from just the tube, I mean.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
No offence to you but, make sure your pedals volume is up heh, That would by my guess
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
A lot of pedals won't work well with effects loops, they usually cooperate much better with rack mount effects. The line signal is not strong anough for the effects loop. I can use my Arion SAD 1 delay pedal through the effects loop in my Peavey MX and it works, but I have to turn the delay level up a lot to get the same effect as running it inline. The inline effect sounds much stronger.

It sounds like you're wiring it right, effects out (send) to effect, then back to effects in (return) is the same way mine works. If yours is getting no effect at all, something must be wrong with the circuit.

In general, time related effects like delay and chorus should work well with effects loops, while distortion based effects are much better in front of the amp. Signal processors work best, they are designed more around effects loop use than inline. With those, any effect the unit will produce should work great.

I'd say have a tech look at your amp, it might have a fried diode or something inside. If it's wired correctly it should at least get some sort of discernible effect.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Maybe it's the noise suppressor? You should try tweaking that a load to see if that helps.

If not...your local amp tech has work to do!
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by sirlimecat
No offence to you but, make sure your pedals volume is up heh, That would by my guess

Only one of the pedals I'm using has a volume on it and adjusting it does nothing.

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Maybe it's the noise suppressor? You should try tweaking that a load to see if that helps.

I don't think it's the suppressor, it works fine in front of the amp and has worked in the loop of other amps.

A guy over at the boogie boards suggested I plug a regular patch cable from the send to return into it to see if it does the same thing, which would mean there's something wrong with the amp. I'll try that today.

I don't get how it works for the previous user, at his house, the day I went and got it, but it doesn't work now... It was just recently serviced in October as well, went through and checked everything, changed pots etc. Weird.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
try them one at a time thru the loop, find which one is causing the problem, or if the same prob is replicated on all pedals you know its the loop, try the same with you leads and power supplies - process of elimination.

peace

G
if you are connecting the fx to a send, is there not a send knob on the front panel of the amp to choose how much is sent thru the fx?
Thank you please.
I just read thought the manual of the mark 4. have you tried to turn up the output level? in the manual it says that the output level also controls the overall volume of the effect loop.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
This thread is over 3 months old guys.

I already had it repaired by a tech.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
This thread is over 3 months old guys.

I already had it repaired by a tech.
So all you wanted was an answer and now that the problem is fixed you don't need anyone's input? And you aren't even going to tell us what was causing the problem. Kinda selfish.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord
So all you wanted was an answer and now that the problem is fixed you don't need anyone's input? And you aren't even going to tell us what was causing the problem. Kinda selfish.

That's probably true...
Quote by Van Noord
So all you wanted was an answer and now that the problem is fixed you don't need anyone's input?

Yes, lol.

Quote by Van Noord
And you aren't even going to tell us what was causing the problem. Kinda selfish.

We don't know what was causing the problem, when the tech looked inside nothing looked wrong so he just rewired it all and now it works fine.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
LOL at the retards who bumped this thread.
EHX Users Guild Member

B52 AT100 & AT412 Cab
Fender MIM Satin Strat
EHX Russian Big Muff
EHX Memory Man w/ Hazarai
EHX Holy Grail
Dan Electro EQ
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Quote by MatrixClaw

We don't know what was causing the problem, when the tech looked inside nothing looked wrong so he just rewired it all and now it works fine.

That would scare me slightly, as at most it sounded like a bad jack or the tube driving the FXs loop was shot. You should learn to try and trouble shoot yourself rather than take it to a tech, have him "Rewire" it and then just assume it's all hunky-dory.
Quote by Van Noord

that's almost sigworthy
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Jimmy666 and Master, "lol at the retards who bumped this thread!"

the funny part is you're one of them.. by posting that, you bumped it as well, making a thread that needs to die rise to the top.

Matrix why don't you just delete this thread?..
Obviously you're still here since you posted.
Last edited by TechnicolorType at Jun 3, 2008,
Quote by TechnicolorType
by posting that you bumped it as well making a thread that needs to die rise to the top.

*Waits for the realization to sink in*

A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
*Waits for the realization to sink in*

Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
if that's to me Hendrix, I never said what they did. I realize I'm bumping it as well

My post was mainly to make a point to the topic creator (delete this thread)

the other stuff was free extras
Quote by TechnicolorType
if that's to me Hendrix, I never said what they did. I realize I'm bumping it as well

My post was mainly to make a point to the topic creator (delete this thread)

the other stuff was free extras

I was just messing around
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
No need to delete the thread (someone else might need the info... actually, probably not very helpful, but meh ). Just let it die.

...oh wait.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by CJRocker
That would scare me slightly, as at most it sounded like a bad jack or the tube driving the FXs loop was shot. You should learn to try and trouble shoot yourself rather than take it to a tech, have him "Rewire" it and then just assume it's all hunky-dory.

I'm not an idiot, I tried many different tubes in every position to make sure that wasn't the case. I even took it to a friend who owns many high quality amps to see if I'm doing something wrong (somehow), he couldn't figure out out either.

The tech was also a friend of mine and I watched him do it, he did indeed just rewire it, but I also had him replace pots on it, as they were a bit scratchy, and the input jacks on both FX loops (just in case), eventhough it was apparently serviced a few months before I bought it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Jun 3, 2008,
lol @ me for bumping it last time and now bumping it again lol
EHX Users Guild Member

B52 AT100 & AT412 Cab
Fender MIM Satin Strat
EHX Russian Big Muff
EHX Holy Grail
Dan Electro EQ
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Quote by Master Bait Her
LOL at the retards who bumped this thread.

hey... i made a mistake - I misread the date, dont ****in call me a retard... no need.

you wouldnt do it in person to a stranger, so why do it on here??!!!!!!
Quote by hippyheaven1
hey... i made a mistake - I misread the date, dont ****in call me a retard... no need.

Quote by hippyheaven1

actually I do have the habit of calling strangers retards.
EHX Users Guild Member

B52 AT100 & AT412 Cab
Fender MIM Satin Strat
EHX Russian Big Muff
EHX Holy Grail
Dan Electro EQ
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah