...thought this might make a good change from the "What amp?" threads.

So my band's started playing gigs and I'd been saving money for a while, and the time came to buy a new amp to replace my 10 year old 10W Valvestate.

At the rehearsal studio where we practice they've got Marshall MG stacks in every room. So I figured I'd check out the cost of those and thought I'd read up on them on the internet.

So I logged on here and got reading. I quickly realised that an MG stack might not be the best use of my cash and that I had a lot to learn. So I decided that I didn't need a halfstack and I didn't need 100W. What I really needed was a tube combo.

I looked around, read some more and considered my budget. I decided that the Peavey Valveking was the way to go. I couldn't decide between the 112 and the 212, but both were just in my price range.

I did more reading and realised that I was maybe missing a trick by not looking into used amps. More reading, thinking about what I play etc. I realised that living in the UK I could maybe find a nice used combo.

So, 3 weeks after logging on to read about my upcoming purchase of an MG halfstack, I have today returned home with this:

An all stock 1983 vertical input Marshall JCM 800 50W 4104 2x12 combo.

Thank you Ultimate Guitar and all the wise and wonderful people who give their advice. I only spent £12 more than I'd have had to pay for an MG halfstack and I have got a much better amp.
Nice job. Seems like a good deal, great amp as well.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Nice job dude. Nicer amp aswell
Your lucky you didn't do what I did. Not go on any forums and take the advice of a tone deaf mate of mine and buy the MG halfstack.....then a year later buy a JCM900 combo for LESS than I bought the MG for. Oh well, better late than never lol.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
**** son! I want one of those amps
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Ahh, nice to see another UG'er with such a nice success story.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Nice.
I'm thinking of between this (head) or the B-52 AT-100. Any suggestions (I play heavy-ass metal with jazz and folk guitar kicked in there)
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
I got a B-52 at 112 and I love it, the clean channel isnt great, but the distorted channel is awesome. The gain can reach heavy metal levels, but you gotta crank it to reach those (hense my attenuator haha)

and it can do stuff like blues really well, just dial down the distortion and I love it. But for the really heavy stuff you might need to push it with some pedals
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Good thing I got an SD-1
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by njhux
So I decided that I didn't need a halfstack and I didn't need 100W. What I really needed was a tube combo.

Sounds like someone has been reading Slats' sig.

Congratulations on a nice purchase and for coming here with an open mind and ending up with a great amp.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by TNfootballfan62
Sounds like someone has been reading Slats' sig.

You are correct. I think he and Dave Mc should get a special mention, all their advice and info had a big part to play in my decision making.
LOL OMG.... i`m almost jelous of you, i say almost because i just ended up with a JCM900 1/4 stack... so basicly kinda what you have only in 2 peices and not 1.

AWESOME amp man, VERY good choice over the MG