I'm just learning guitar (about 1 week into it) and I'm learning some basic chords. I'm primarily using the internet to learn. One thing I can't quite determine, is how to hold the neck of the guitar.

Some people/places suggest you keep your thumb in the same place in the middle of the back of the neck, while others suggest wrapping it around to mute the top string (such as with the C major chord). Watching people play, I see both. Some people have the thumb hanging up over the neck, sort of gripping the neck like a ball and some have it consistently on the back as if they were squeezing or pinching the neck.

Are there pros and cons to using one technique over the other? Seeing as how I'm just learning, I can go either way--they both feel awkward. I would prefer to learn the "proper" way.
i usually have my thumb behind the neck but for open position chords i have it sticking out at the top. it usually comes down to comfort for certain things but playing lead its better to keep it in the back unless your going to do alot of bending.
When I first started I put my thumb on the back of the neck because, you know, that's how they teach you the "right" way. But as you play more, and different chords you play your thumb goes in different places. It just came naturally for me.

It really depends on what chord your playing and how you're playing it, is what I'm saying.
When I started going through an online guitar course I was surprised to be told to always have the thumb on the back of the neck. Keeping it there definitely gives you a lot more reach over to the lower strings, but I still find it more comfortable to have the thumb at the top for open chords.
The correct way is to keep the thumb on the back of the neck. However, if you're bending a string, you should keep it on top to give you leverage. There are also some chords that are played with the thumb on the 6th string (like a D/F# chord), so you have to use it for that. But in most cases, thumb on the back is best.
Yeah, basically what they said... I do have something to add, it's not useless of a post. haha

When I first started off I had trouble making all the strings ring properly, and not muting other strings. I then discovered it was because of the way I held the guitar. I had my thumb wrapped up over the top (the way you described), instead of my thumb in the middle. I then tried putting my thumb in the middle, and it helped a lot.

However, I now have my thumb in the place I used to have it most of the time, as it just seems to go there. But, whilst doing barre chords it tends to be behind the board again.
Quote by MicahCarrick

Are there pros and cons to using one technique over the other? Seeing as how I'm just learning, I can go either way--they both feel awkward. I would prefer to learn the "proper" way.

In this case, either one is proper depending on what you want. Thumb over the
top, aka Blues Grip, is the choice if your style includes a lot of bends. It provides
more leverage. Thumb on the back, aka Classical Grip, for most everything else.
This position provides better reach on the fretboard.