Anyone here play lacrosse? I'm from Long Island, so lacrosse is one of the major sports here, but I was wondering if lacrosse was big anywhere else besides coastal United States.

Talk about your position, team, equipment, tactics, and overall love of the game.

PS: All the lax threads found using the searchbar sucked and were pointless, so I felt it necessary to make this one.

Enjoy, fellow lacrosse players.
Life is underrated.

Quote by Mad Marius
That's like saying you got cancer that comes with AIDS.
i play lacrosse!

i play defence, ive got a warrior kryptolyte shaft and a warrior evo 2 head
Quote by wonderflap
You had to put a penis option.......

The results are now nulled due to this being the pit.... The home of penis watch wearers.

Quote by TheChaz
Rust in peace invented food
he sure is one legit dude
don't let it get to your head

ಠ_ಠ
I do. I live in Westchester NY and its huge in the town I live in.

I play mid field, don't know **** about gear, and just knock the **** out of people.

I'm dying b/c today was my second day of practice and I'm out of shape. Today at practice I knocked an emo kid down and made him scrape his bleed because he fell of the grass onto pavement.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
im on a team in tennesse. its basicly just starting down here and we were the first in our area so we play people like alabama.

im point on defence and i have some crappy long-pole thats about to snap in half( been used for 3 years). I think the sports just awsome and im trying to get my friends to play, but it costs too much......
It's huge in Maryland. Isn't it originally a Maryland sport? Correct me if i'm wrong. I'm no good at sports.
Quote by Noyon999

They will be on their knees begging for mercy... But The Pit shall have no such mercy and finish them with a "HADOKEN!"

Founder of the Help UG Achieve World Domination group and Vice President of UGtopia
I'm a middie-turned-defenseman here. I'm not a big guy, but I play defense in basketball and soccer so defending comes second nature to me. I absolutely love the game; it's the right combination of violence and skill.

My experience as a middie has paid off; I'm probably in the best shape of all the other defensemen. I run pole-midfield and face-off pole on occasion as well.

As for equipmentL

Short stick: STX Scandium shaft, Brine Swerve head
Long stick: Warrior Titan PRO shaft, STX Kannon head

I'm not nuts about top-notch body gear; generic, durable padding is enough for a defender. Although I am in love with my Mercury Pro-Stars.
Life is underrated.

Quote by Mad Marius
Quote by Chikitty_China
It's huge in Maryland. Isn't it originally a Maryland sport? Correct me if i'm wrong. I'm no good at sports.

Maryland is where it originated, and the second largest lacrosse-hub in the world.

Long Island is generally regarded as the largest, though not by much.
Life is underrated.

Quote by Mad Marius
They just started a lacrosse team in our town. Actually, more like our entire side of the lake. I personally think it's hysterical.
Who dat?
Its just starting to get big up here in michigan. I played goalie for 3 years. Had a krypto pro shaft and some ****ty head. Never wore a cup, even after I got hit in the balls 4 times, 2 of those from the coach.
Quote by Yakult
If I get a boner I generally pass out due to the massive amount of blood having to be redirected from my brain

Quote by DubStar92
I like to video record myself when I'm drunk. It's like a mini-movie. I love fapping to the sex scene.
from buffalo ny, I play D, its a pretty big deal around here too
Quote by GuitarHobbiest
What exactly is a powerchord?

Quote by laid_to_waste
My trouser snake is friendly. If you pet him, he might even do a trick! think I'm going to hell for that one.
Quote by Chikitty_China

Lacrosse is the national sport of Canada, surprisingly, so I'm guessing that's where it originated. I'm from Westchester NY as well and it's pretty big here. I play attack, and I used to have an evo pro but I sold it. I haven't played since ninth grade, but I might play next year.
Quote by Ross724
3.14 pie or the delicious crusted treat we all know and love?

Quote by MightyAl
Therefore your argument is rubbish, as well as being full of profanity and anti-Semitic. Are you Mel gibson, by any chance?
Western PA here. Our team is looking pretty good. Play some nationally recognized teams soon too

Oh and I got a glow in the dark kryptolyte at Ohio State lacrosse camp last summer. It's ridiculous.
Anatomy Anatomy
Whale Blue Review

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
I have been playing lacrosse for about 6 years now in California. I started my freshman year in high school, and quickly became very good at defense. I was brought up to varsity my sophomore year (usually just juniors and seniors) and started every single game until I graduated. I took league awards for MVP defense every year.

Equipment wise, I use very light and mobile gear. My shoulder pads are the Brine Spartan core SP, which is extremely light and doesn't cover much, and discontinued STX Defense style arm pads (they just cover the elbow)

I use a Warrior Titan Pro long stick, and I have three STX Bionic heads (they are heavy but very durable for checking and the pinch is great for when you are on the move & dodging other players).

I can play all defensive positions very well and I can confidently say I know everything there is know about defensive tactics and strategy.

If there are any other defense men here that have just started and are looking for advice, I can offer you this:

1. Invest in very minimal padding, you need to be as light as possible. You will be doing the hitting, not taking hits yourself.

2. Learn how to be extremely quick (jumping helps build quickness), you don't need to be super fast, but you need to be able to react at a split second. The worst defense men are the huge lumbering fat guys who like to run blindly and hit people. Any skilled attackman will ruin them.

3. Emphasize anaerobic sprinting, you will be on the field the entire game most likely...Learn to conserve your energy and use it in bursts when necessary.

4. When an attackman is going to drive 1v1 on you (you can tell because they always draw attention to themselves by backing up a few steps or starting their drive way out), force him to come to you. Never lunge at an attackman or you will be beaten horribly.

5. Learn to be confident. Just standing tall and intimidating the crap out of your driving attackman will cause him in many cases to pass the ball away or screw up his drive.

6. Be at least 6 feet tall (or within an inch). Your long stick is 6 feet long and unless you cut it down, you will have more difficulty controlling it and protecting it when you are on the move than a taller person would.

That's all I have for now.

EDIT: I also used a Home Depot style back brace in most of my games so I could hit people as hard as I wanted and not have to worry about back pain. It worked wonders.

Also, don't ever wear rib pads. They are a waste of speed and they are completely unnecessary (unless you are playing with damaged/severely bruised ribs anyway).
Last edited by Brown925 at Mar 11, 2008,
I've never used ribpads, even as a middie. So cumbersome.
Life is underrated.

Quote by Mad Marius
I just started at my high school in Maryland. I'm going to be playing JV defense, I'll probably start because we only have 5 JV defensemen. They say I'm doing pretty good. My first scrimmage is Monday, wish me luck . Suprisingly, even though we're in Maryland, this is only my school's third year of lacrosse.
Rock On

Quote by Shard Heilia
Nothing. Is Better. Than Guitar.

I Receive Nourishment From My Amplifier. Food Is For The Weak.

Quote by Thrace
Listen to Machine Head, you'll want to headbutt someone right in their pussy.
I'm also from Long Island, where are you!?

I play, not for a team. My friend is really good, he plays on varsity. I play with him in his backyard and normally beat him. We don't play full rles lacrosse though, we play lik ebackyard war lacrosse.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
I live in houston texas.... our school started with the first lax program in texas about 18 years ago, and we lived up to it for the most part, winning state multiple times. On the whole however, lacrosse is not very big in texas. However, in the past 3-4 years, its taking off like crazy. They just started a youth league for kids younger than middle school.
Also, since football is the main sport in texas, there are now a lot of football players playing lacrosse. Not very many players in our league have amazing stick skills, but when we go play teams from the north-east we are at least 2 times bigger.

I play defense, im not very strong, but since im quick they put me at long-pole middie. Fun stuff.
Quote by kgesme21

Quote by Hsupernova

Oh yeah, and if guitar hero got you into the guitar? you're really playing for the wrong reasons.

there is no wrong reason to play a guitar, except for world enslavement and extermination of certain races, but those guys never make it big anyway.
Ive been playing for a couple years, but its just starting to get really big in Georgia.
I play defence with a Gait shaft and a Wizard head (Damn those things are durable.)
Quote by FoolOnThePlanet
I'm also from Long Island, where are you!?

I play, not for a team. My friend is really good, he plays on varsity. I play with him in his backyard and normally beat him. We don't play full rles lacrosse though, we play lik ebackyard war lacrosse.

South shore Nassau county; but to tell you any more would be indiscrete :P
Life is underrated.

Quote by Mad Marius
Haha, I'm far east in Suffolk.

We coulda jammed or something.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
I live in Maryland, in Severna Park, actually (I saw someone on this thread's location was Sevnera Park). Most of my friends who play sports play lacrosse, but I don't.
The medium is the message!
Lacrosse is Canada's national sport. I played a few seasons before stopping when I suffered a bad hip injury one winter while playing hockey. I suited up for one game last year, but quit again after being benched for the entire game. Freakin' joke.
Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
I've played for 1 week, someone got me to join the freshman team at my school haha. I suck horribly but it's a blast. Quick question:
Someone can give me a STX Bionic head for my Warrior alloy 6000. Will it fit?
"This is The End, beautiful friend, The End"
Quote by Riddler
Maryland is where it originated, and the second largest lacrosse-hub in the world.

Long Island is generally regarded as the largest, though not by much.

Quote by Wikipedia
Lacrosse was invented by Native North Americans. Its name was dehuntshigwa'es in Onondaga ("men hit a rounded object"), da-nah-wah'uwsdi in Eastern Cherokee ("little war"), Tewaarathon in Mohawk language ("little brother of war"), and baaga`adowe in Ojibwe ("bump hips").[1]

Conflict?
I live in IL and lax has been around for a while. until the past 3-10 years it was just the rich north shore schools, but now most at least have some sort of team. It's my school's 4th year as a sport and it was club for 3 years before that.

I play defense and got a STX Scandium shaft and Brine Edge Plus head(same stick i've had since fresh year and i'm a senior now. its durable as hell), and a Krypto Pro shaft and Brine Answer oin my shorty for indoor. Lacrosse is the ****, i am so happy i did that instead of gymnastics.
Quote by Saje
Lacrosse is the national sport of Canada, surprisingly, so I'm guessing that's where it originated. I'm from Westchester NY as well and it's pretty big here. I play attack, and I used to have an evo pro but I sold it. I haven't played since ninth grade, but I might play next year.

I thought it originated in Africa, used to be played on elephants.

My brothers gotten into it (hes not great at sports though) his friends do it, so ihe kinda does it for fun, which is cool.

Im thinking of going, but usually get dragged down with course work.
Quote by Slinov
i love you

I Watched Download 07 on the internet Because I'm A poor Bastard and I'm Damn Proud!
Quote by i(ncubus)play
I've played for 1 week, someone got me to join the freshman team at my school haha. I suck horribly but it's a blast. Quick question:
Someone can give me a STX Bionic head for my Warrior alloy 6000. Will it fit?

Try it ?
I thought they only screwed on, therefore it shouldnt be to much hassel.
Quote by Slinov
i love you

I Watched Download 07 on the internet Because I'm A poor Bastard and I'm Damn Proud!
Quote by Saje

national SUMMER sport of canada, hockey's the winter sport.
/useless correction.
yeah, it was created by native americans in north america....i remember it from my history book
I'm pretty sure that lacrosse is the oldest sport in North America, so its hard to say exactly where it orginated because the Native Americans who invented and played it hardly followed state boundary lines.

Haha, but anyway. This is my first year playing and I'm playing JV midfield for my high school team in Virginia.

Equipment:

-Brine Scandium Shaft
-Evo Pro Head
-Brine Hyper Shoulder Pads
-Warrior Supercrosse Arm Guards
-Warrior Superfreak II Gloves
-Cascade CPX Helmet