I am the owner of a new(ish) original crybaby, I actually like the sound of this wah but I have noticed it does add this sort of raspy mutedness which annoys me (no one else seems to notice it unless I point it out though). I have it for about two years and for the first time in a while I find myself with some extra cash so I have been thinking about having it modded to true bypass. Is there really a big difference in the tone? Will it get rid of this problem? If so, where can I have this done and how much can I expect to pay?
True bypass is, literally, true bypass. i think it's worth it. the crybaby has really shabby bypass. it's just a given. and it loses it ocmpletely when the battery starts to die out. get some volume drop too.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
It makes a huge difference. You COULD do it yourself for probably $22. Tutorials are everywhere online. Google is your friend.

$10 for a DPDT + Shipping
$1 for 3-4 feet of wire (same place u order your switch)
$8 for a cheap radio shack soldering iron
$3 for solder.

Of course, this is assuming you don't already have wire, solder or a soldering iron. You get to keep the solder and iron for future modifications as well...

If you have someone else do it, you can expect to pay between $30-40.
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer
Fulltone OCD
Dallas-Arbiter Wah Baby
Home-Built Germanium Fuzz Face
MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
2 Fender Blues Juniors
It's worth it I guess. Having one or two pedals (if they're fairly good quality non-true bypass) in your signal path isn't too big a deal. If you're a boss fanboy, and buy several Boss pedals and have them in your chain, you're gonna hear a difference.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
If you are a hobbiest maybe not worth it. If you are gigging or are very picky about your sound its definitely worth it.
I personally think it's worth it. True bypass is one of the reasons i have an RMC Picture Wah on the way right now, rather than something else...
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
^not mine???

lol. ima haunt u for a while.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
So does true bypass not have that whoosh sound when you put the pedal in action? Cause my weeping demon always does it and its starting to annoy me a little bit. it has good wah tone though so whatever lol.
My Youtube Vids

"Be formless... shapeless like water.

If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle.

Water can flow, and it can crash....Be water, my friend..." - Bruce Lee
I know. You know the only reason i bought it is so i could give you the schematic and you could clone it, right?

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
i kinda know the schematic. they're all just '60s clyde clones. why Teese and Fulltone sound better is that it's got better components, with a lot less tolerance. most crybabies sound like crap because it's not in clyde specs, and the caps have horrible tolerance. most caps have 20% tolerance, which means a 0.22uF cap can be either 0.176uF or 0.264uF. which is pretty damn horrible.

i don't even know how my clyde jr is.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^Oh, i know, i was just trying to make you feel a bit better.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
u make it worse because i'm running low on customers!!!

i wonder if slats is still interested lOL
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Some pedals don't really need it

You have to find how much impedance there is to warrant a true bypass
Quote by ECistheBest

I'M SORRY, SHOT! Can't we just hug and make up?

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Quote by darkarbiter7
It's worth it I guess. Having one or two pedals (if they're fairly good quality non-true bypass) in your signal path isn't too big a deal. If you're a boss fanboy, and buy several Boss pedals and have them in your chain, you're gonna hear a difference.

LIKE ME! I have like, 5 pedals in a row with the crybaby at the lead. I do notice a buzz and a difference in tone, but i make up for it with my amp. I love the sound i get though, cant beat it.
Quote by ECistheBest

I'll probably end up getting my wah's modded by you. I'm not handy enough with a soldering iron to do a good job myself.
Once I get my power attenuator need out of the way.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
YES!!! the promoting is working!?!?!?

i got finals next week and im writing lots of papers right now (last minutes. due tomorrow mornign) but thats okay. time management is key in college guys! (which i think i am doing OKAY in. except this assignment.)

^yea kyle we can hug. but it has to be a really hawt hug. lOL
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I dont really care... Not every pedal i want is true bypass so having a true bypass pedal in the chain is pointless to me if the other 5 pedals are not... Yes i own some true bypass pedals but that was just a perk with the pedal i didnt buy them for that... Now if you play alot of very clean stuff then yea i might advise it or if you getting like just one or two pedals. But odds are not all those pedals will be true bypass. Best option which i will probally be doing here in a bit is getting some like lehle looper so i can take the pedals out my chain completely unless i need them... Just my .2 cents
Yes keeps all your tone when its not on
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
for that particular pedal, night and day difference IMO. If that's the GCB-95 you have, it's a horrible tone sucker, even when it's off. The true bypass mod makes it so much better when it's sitting unused in your signal chain. The other mods really help it too, it's a really simple pedal inside, great for a first foray into pedal modding/building.

There is a point to having a buffered pedal in the chain IMO. Not all buffer circuits are not created equal, the cheap parts/design will get cheap results. A good buffer can work very well if it's implemented correctly however, and it's actually recommended to help keep the signal integrity if you are driving a large signal chain of fx. It's the cheap buffer circuits that suck tone really bad.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
^good buffers are so ftw. like an AMZ mosfet Booster.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Ok so true bypass is definetly necessary then. a lot of people really hate the crybaby... I can understand that, it wont get that groovy vintage hendrix thing but I like using it as a tone shaper/solo booster more than "wah wah" type sound. I might invest in another pedal entirely rather than get mine modded. It seems like all wahs are based off the vox though, is there a pedal that does "the crybaby sound" better than the actual crybaby? I have heard mixed things about morley, any opinions?

P.S. my favorite wah tone is that of jerry cantrell or kim thayil.
i would say get the gig-fx wah. Also, does anyone know how much it matters on pedals tuners?
ODEN 08 'RISE WITH US'
well they are definetaly worth it, UNLESS you use a ton of pedals, because then when there off its like using a million foot cable. if you have alot of pedals i recommend a looper to bring them in and out of your signal chain.