Okay, howdy everyone lol

Any who, I'm 17 and I'm taking up the Bass because a band in my area needs a bassist and I've got a decent voice and I write some solid lyrics and poetry. but anyway, I'm going to attempt to learn the Bass on my own, with a bit of help from a guy in the band

Right now I'm going to rent one for a while just to try it out and see if there is any point to it, and eventually probably buy one, since I'm somewhat confident I can put in the time to learn it and be at least borderline par.
btw, I played violin for like 5 years, so I'm not a complete rookie to instuments

1) Where do I start? Like, what is the first thing I should know, how to tune it? or like... the chords and stuff? I really don't have the faintest clue
2) Reccomendation for a solid bass to buy, something not overwhelmingly costly, but isn't a piece of crap.
3)Any tips to learning the bass or like warnings beforehand of what not to do.

Any other useful information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the time guys, hopefully I can get this down eventually. lol
.oxygen
My Ibanez starter pack was pretty good....You might want to learn (not to start a fight but I suggest learning those scales where you can play them cleanly with a pick and your fingers.)

Learning to tune it would be good, should be the same as a violin if I'm not mistaken. (Violin is tuned to 5ths right?)
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
The starter pack seems like a good idea, but I heard that the amps that come with them don't exactly suffice.
Suggestions on a solid amp that can be heard over the drums [playing with a full band?]
Somewhere between 300-400 bucks ish? I don't know how much a good amp costs though
Sounds like you want the bass FAQ...see my sig.

Basses are tuned to fourths - EADG (low to high) for a 4.
as mentioned above, you need to hop over to the UG Bass Forum, and look, listen, and learn. your situation is common. and many bass players started out, just like you .
Quote by smb
Sounds like you want the bass FAQ...see my sig.

Basses are tuned to fourths - EADG (low to high) for a 4.

Oh yea, my bad
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Peaveys are good. Ive been playing for almost 3 years and its lasted me through. Ive dropped it countless times and smacked it off of numerous doorways and it still is great. with the right amp it sounds really nice.

Bass is hard to learn tho. it does take ALOT of time. The way i learned was playing to simple songs where the bass basically just plays 8th notes. Take it easy, but it will take some time.