Hi guys, I'm new to the guitar and I've been practicing a lot lately. My goal as of right now is to learn to play a certain guitar riff. The song is "Life's What You Make It" by Talk Talk. The riff I am talking about can be heard at around 15 seconds into it. It can also be heard/seen as well at around 2:19. I've looked EVERYWHERE for the tab for this specific riff and all I could fine were chords to do with the main rhythm of the song.

If anyone here is able to write down the tabs for it by ear then that would be a big help. I was also wondering what effect they were using on the guitar during that riff as well.

If anyone can possibly write a tutorial or host a video on YouTube on how to play this riff (If anyone knows how) then that would be unbelievably helpful, as I am a beginner. I'm more of a visual learner anyways. I know that's asking a lot and it probably wont be done, it just never hurts to ask. Thanks in advance guys.
Yeah sorry I have no clue as to how that play, or the effect used. Hope someone can help you though.
I am playing in standard 440. This is what my ear tells me.
I just figured it out so here goes,
something like this...

********************** pre- ******************************alternate position of
****Sweep down**** bend*unbend******************** the same last 4 notes

E:--------11~---------------------------------------------------------------------}{---11---11------------------}
B:------12----14----11~ b/(12)\-11----------------16---16--------------}{---------------------------------}
G:------------------------------------------13~~-11---13---11-h13-p11--}{----13---11---h13--p11----}
D:---13----------------------------------------------------------------------------}{--------------------------------}

for me it was easier to play the end of the riff stretching to the 16th as tabbed first.
I use the underneath of my ring finger to mute the G (while fretting the first note on the 13. rake the pick down to get that stoccato sound.
Also, pre bend on the 11th (b string) a half step equal to the 12th note before picking.
sounds like he also might be using a vibrato bar like on a strat after the last notes of the riff.
chorus, and flange sounds for the fx, maybe even a vintage tubescreamer.
Cheers!

Dang! 5 edits just to get it to show up right
Last edited by ibanezjimjim666 at Mar 15, 2008,
Quote by ibanezjimjim666
I am playing in standard 440. This is what my ear tells me.
I just figured it out so here goes,
something like this...

********************** pre- ******************************alternate position of
****Sweep down**** bend*unbend******************** the same last 4 notes

E:--------11~---------------------------------------------------------------------}{---11----11-------------}
B:------12----14----11~ b/(12)\-11----------------16---16--------------}{----------------------------}
G:------------------------------------------13~~-11---13---11-h13-p11--}{--13---11---h13--p11-}
D:---13----------------------------------------------------------------------------}{---------------------------}

for me it was easier to play the end of the riff stretching to the 16th as tabbed first.
I use the underneath of my ring finger to mute the G (while fretting the first note on the 13. rake the pick down to get that stoccato sound.
Also, pre bend on the 11th (b string) a half step equal to the 12th note before picking.
sounds like he also might be using a vibrato bar like on a strat after the last notes of the riff.
chorus, and flange sounds for the fx, maybe even a vintage tubescreamer.
Cheers!

Dang! 5 edits just to get it to show up right

Thank you so so so much. I'll try and get that down right now.