Page 1 of 2
I thought it would be interesting to ask a bunch of musicians, what do you think about limewire/torrents/whatever? Is it wrong? Do you use it?

See here's the thing, I'm always struggling to have enough money to buy all the music I"m interested in, but I don't think it's really right to take it for free, when the artists worked hard to create it.......what about those monthly services? Do you have to keep having the service to keep the music (i.e. could you download thousands of songs the first month then cancel subscription)
Last edited by Jordan987 at Mar 11, 2008,
Learn2Internet
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
limewire is wrong...cause it sucks. i use torrents and rapidshare.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
Quote by RPGoof
Ares>Limewire
Torrents>Ares
Ares can download torrents though

i used to use demonoid, but it got shut down, what good torrent search sites are still up?
Quote by pmeg568c
oh man, seems as though i totally forgot about anal

My Gear
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by SoccerRM1
i used to use demonoid, but it got shut down, what good torrent search sites are still up?

i use torrentz to search for my torrents
Quote by synpet713192
It's stupid, as it works song-by-song

I use torrents, because I like to get entire albums.

You can get whole albums on Limewire.

And i like Limewire. *flame shield*
It's gonna be a blue day
UG seems to frown upon Limewire and such programs, I made a thread here one time askin for help since I couldn't get it to work on my computer, and they locked it calling it 'spam', even though it had a clear topic and purpose. yeh, i was pissed. yeh i figured it out. and yes, I get free music constantly.
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
Quote by hendrixfreak93
dont really care.
i personally like to have the physical CD.

I like to have the CD too if its a band I'm a big fan of, it makes me feel more supportive than just downloading the songs, even if I pay for them.
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
torrentz pwnzor.

BUY CDS
Quote by hightension01

Tell her
"I could be playing this *inserts Job For a Cowboys Doom Cd*
but i'd rather play this *inserts *David Crowder followed by Brewster*"

haha yeah that should work

Quote by Aqua Dementia
richrawr FTW!
i use torrents and also limewire if i want just a single song really fast. mininova and torrentspy are good torrent sites....why do you people not like limewire??
Quote by SoccerRM1

Toorgle is sort of a search engine, though it's not always amazing.

The pirate bay is pretty sweet.
I use torrents too, however if I find a band or album I like I'll generally buy it when I can.
I think Limewire suks now, it used to be good and switched to Ares. But overall I'd rather have a cd overall but I'm not going to buy a $15 cd if I only like just one song.
See here's the thing, I'm always struggling to have enough money to buy all the music I"m interested in, but I don't think it's really right to take it for free, when the artists worked hard to create it.......what about those monthly services? Do you have to keep having the service to keep the music (i.e. could you download thousands of songs the first month then cancel subscription)
Quote by bxcarracer
I think Limewire suks now, it used to be good and switched to Ares. But overall I'd rather have a cd overall but I'm not going to buy a $15 cd if I only like just one song.

Itunes......?
Quote by Dance_of_Death
Frostwire>Limewire

just as good as pro for free

Frostwire f*cks up my computer. Limewire doesn't.
It's gonna be a blue day
Quote by codebreaka123
yes

limewire is the internet *****
enjoy e-herps

Actually, if you avoid clicking the obviously non-mp3 files, limewire is actually very clean.. I have yet to get a virus from it.
Quote by pmeg568c
oh man, seems as though i totally forgot about anal

My Gear
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Okay, I have a question. I wouldn't mind using a site like limewire to get music from seeing as I'm almost always flat broke.

I keep hearing people calling it illegal, but can you actually get arrested or fined for using Limewire, Ares, Frostwire, Kazaa, etc...?
i rarely use limewire, only if i find a specific song i want, and then I go and buy the album if i like what i hear.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

I have software to take the sound from youtube, so I get some music from that. The quality isn't what it would be off of iTunes/CD though..

GAS
Throbak Stonebender | Fulltone Deja Vibe | Catalinbread Semaphore
its totally ok to take music like that, M. Shadows even said that bands dont make money from selling albums, they make money from selling out arenas. they dont care how kids get their music. thats good enough for me.

and the answer to your question is yes.
I only use lime wire when i can't buy a song of itunes.

Yes i pay for my music and I'm not ashamed of it.
Quote by Pow3rSlave
Okay, I have a question. I wouldn't mind using a site like limewire to get music from seeing as I'm almost always flat broke.

I keep hearing people calling it illegal, but can you actually get arrested or fined for using Limewire, Ares, Frostwire, Kazaa, etc...?

There's a possibility you could get sued by the RIAA. It's not likely, but it's possible. Limewire doesn't seem very good to me. I've never used it, though. You can download full albums with torrents (though I've never used them either) and with rapidshare/megaupload/other sites like that.

If you want individual songs, you can find a lot with www.skreemr.com, and the downloads are a lot faster than P2P.

There are also Russian download web sites that sell mp3s dirt cheap. 9 cents per song. The claim to be legal, but the downloads are probably very low quality and I wouldn't trust them.

But downloading copyrighted files without the permission of the owner is always illegal, as far as I know.
Last edited by werty22 at Mar 12, 2008,
Quote by Pow3rSlave

You cant get done for having the actual program, or even using it.

its only when you download or even upload software/films/music etc that have a copyright, then it becomes illegal.... then u get ****ed.

Some artists purposely put there stuff up for free.
When you buy an album the artist hardly gets any money. If you want to support those artists, go to live shows and buy other merchandise. Now that being said I still don't like limewire. Mainly because I feel 'dirty' whenever I listen to a song I downloaded.
Wow, I have 450 CD's, never used any sort of illegal downloading site, if i want to hear A song, i listen to it on youtube, if I like it, I'll buy the album, if I do not, I wont. I dont buy single songs off itunes, as I find it wrong to appreciate only One song by a band, I need to know thae albums good aswell.
Wow, I have 450 CD's, never used any sort of illegal downloading site, if i want to hear A song, i listen to it on youtube, if I like it, I'll buy the album, if I do not, I wont. I dont buy single songs off itunes, as I find it wrong to appreciate only One song by a band, I need to know it is a good album aswell.
I'm way too skint to buy all my CDs. If I wanted to buy the Pink Floyd back-catalogue. that alone would be over £100 at least. Then add other old bands like the Beatles, Zeppelin, Maiden, Metallica, AC/DC, Genesis, etc. Then on top of that, add all the new music that's coming out by bands such as Sigur Ros, Explosions In The Sky, Porcupine Tree, et al, and you realise you'd need your own bank in order to listen to it all.
I download music to see what a band/artist is like. If I like them, I'll try my best to find a CD and buy it. If I don't like them, I delete the music and that's that. Saves me a lot of money.
Yeah, Limewire does kinda suck. I personally use Azureus and stuff like that. Full albums are so much better than just one song..
Page 1 of 2