I was wondering if someone could help me out with my keys and modes. Im gettin into writing metal and play mostly in the keys of E and D in the phrygian and dominant modes. What are some other modes/keys that you guys think sound cool? (lookin to expand my musical horizons)
learn the major scale and harmonic minor all over the fretboard before you even bother learning modes, learn it in every key. Learn the notes of the scale
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^It's actually rather useless.

+1, unless you use min7b5 chords a lot.
aeolian is the standard, it can be quite melodic.

locrian is pretty obscure and II can be used pretty well while riffing.

phrygian is a good mix of aeolian and locrian, it retains some of the potential for standard progressions.
Well hold up. Locrian has it's purpose, mostly in jazz, but it's very uncommon to base a progression around a m7b5 chord. Even most metal songs that heavily use the b5 note have a minor tonality, not diminished.
Quote by Galvanise69
Hey ouchies, you couldent give me names for all of the modes of the major scale could you?

My jazz book has some of them, but it leaves out a few too, and I have no idea what they are.

We'll go in order of scale degree:

I. Ionian
II. Dorian
III. Phrygian
IV. Lydian
V. Mixolydian
VI. Aeolian
VII. Locrian
Quote by Galvanise69
Hey ouchies, you couldent give me names for all of the modes of the major scale could you?

My jazz book has some of them, but it leaves out a few too, and I have no idea what they are.

Yeah.

The chords are I ii iii IV V vi viib5

The modes for those corresponding chords are

Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian and Locrian. Try em all out.