Ive been playing guitar for about 3 years, and just started playing with a group of people (pathetic, I know). I noticed that I am horrible at finding/keeping time. When I would play alone, I would just play along with the song or just be off in my own little world, but now that its with a group of people who are more experienced with me, I really need to work on my timing.

I need some simple songs that might help me find/keep time better. any suggestions?
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Practice with a metronome, click-track, powertab, or something like that.

Yeah I have. Its pretty sad cause I dont think I can even find how a song fits. Like I tryted seven nation army even, and I got: 1 2 and 3 and 4-- but then the and which comes after the 4 is too close then the actual way the song plays. That probably makes no sense, but yeah, Im horribly lost I guess.
Download Power Tab and learn how to read music that way. It takes a while but its how I did it. It was free and you learn a lot.
yeah. metronome is the way to go in my opinion.

but then again..you can always just learn to play drums if you want to get better rhythm.
Quote by gallagher2006
Whats a Steve Vai? Floyd Rose ripoff?

Quote by Mr. Twelve
Behold...the Arctopus are obviously music. I don't see how anyone could say they're not music compared to many modern and post-modern composers. That being said, I think B...tA are terrible.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^That's 16th notes.

Find a lesson on google about rhythm. It will help you a whole bunch in figuring out how to play in time.

yer thats what i did, you gotta learn how rythm works and is created and then you can just tap your foot and your all good.
Feelin the Blues

"The Blues are a simple music and I'm a simple man. But the Blues aren't a science, the Blues can't be broken down like a mathematics. The Blues are a mystery, and mysteries are never as simple as they look" - BB King
You know, it might sound funny, but learning the melody/lead of traditional folk/spiritual/etc like Marianne, Battle Hymn of The Republic, Angels We Have Heard on High, etc, etc, etc....REALLY helped me with my count and are the simplest songs you can ever find.

Without someone to back you, the deceivingly simple syncopation of those songs can really through you off unless you have that count down. And these songs are slow. It's always good to practice keeping tempo slow. Faster is always easier.

Look up Hal Leonard's Guitar Method Book 2. (its like $10) It was the most ego-shattering, humbling book I've ever used. HIGHLY recommend it
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Quote by ouchies
Download powertab and play along with the tab. It has a metronome option too so you can hear how the clicks fit in with the music. After practicing with the ptab a lot, try and play with JUST the click.

Thats what I did and I now can read music, play along with a click, and have written tones of riffs and solos on it. Best 5 euro ever!