Ok, just got a new marshall cabinet which has the stereo and mono selection switch where my first cabinet didn't. My head is set at 8 ohms, what is the best way to connect my head to cab? Doesn't the ohms have to be more on the cabinet?
ohms is resistance (or impedance in your case.)

for guitar head/cab connections, it works the best when your head and cab have the same impedance setting. most heads and cabs have either 4, 8, or 16 ohms (some fenders have 2) and u should be able to find out how many ohms your cab has.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
i think it has to be the same ohm on the head and cab, i could be wrong my head has a switchable ohm so it can go with any cab so....
Gear:

Fractal Axe FX
VHT 2/50/2
Orange 4x12
Voodoo Lab Ground Control Pro

Ibanez RGA 121 w/ Crunchlab and Liquifire
Music Man John Petrucci Mystic Dream
ERG Custom Guitar
Quote by ECistheBest
ohms is resistance (or impedance in your case.)

for guitar head/cab connections, it works the best when your head and cab have the same impedance setting. most heads and cabs have either 4, 8, or 16 ohms (some fenders have 2) and u should be able to find out how many ohms your cab has.

which way puts the less stress on my head? I've heard someone talk about this but I forgot how.
Quote by tenaciousjp
i think it has to be the same ohm on the head and cab, i could be wrong my head has a switchable ohm so it can go with any cab so....

The impedance on the head/cab HAS to match.
Quote by Say Ocean
Match the ohms on the cab and the head. Is that hard? Not every amp can do the mismatching btw.

what da ya mean 'not every amp can do the mismatching btw?"
Quote by protech487
what da ya mean 'not every amp can do the mismatching btw?"

Mesa, for example, makes their amps so that you can do a "safe mismatch" which they give examples of in their manual. Its not as safe for a lot of amps to do this, however. It would say in the manual if it can.