Me and a friend of mine are setting up a small venture, for which we obviously need a website. Both of us are sort of competent with design and such, but we really want a site that looks more professional than something we could achieve.

Does anyone on this site have a good knowledge of website design and would be willing to create the site for a small fee ? Or does anyone have an idea of how much it would cost to have the site done by a professional (surely a lot).?
There is poetry in despair.
You could try and mess around in Adobe Dreamweaver.

I mean, we learned to use it in my Webpage Design class last semester, and it's really not overly complicated, especially with all of the tutorials you can find online.

So, IMO, try waiting on spending some money and download (whether it be torrent or otherwise) Dreamweaver and see what you can come up with, and, after a period of time, if you're not happy with what you may or may not have, THEN consider spending that green.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Well, my friend has just installed Dreamweaver, so we'll be trying to get to grips with that pretty soon. We just want to get it done as soon as possible though ,really.
Quote by fridge_raider
Me and a friend of mine are setting up a small venture, for which we obviously need a website. Both of us are sort of competent with design and such, but we really want a site that looks more professional than something we could achieve.

Does anyone on this site have a good knowledge of website design and would be willing to create the site for a small fee ? Or does anyone have an idea of how much it would cost to have the site done by a professional (surely a lot).?

I might be interested.

It can cost around $1k for a full-blown small-business site…* depends on who you hire and what you want done.

PM me with your basic requirements. I'll get back to you tonight or sometime tomorrow.

-SD
Last edited by SilentDeftone at Mar 11, 2008,
Thanks, although that is more than we wanted to spend initially. We will probably be better off doing what fallenangel said to begin with, then think about any professional work further down the line.
Quote by fridge_raider
Thanks, although that is more than we wanted to spend initially. We will probably be better off doing what fallenangel said to begin with, then think about any professional work further down the line.

Suit yourself.

FWIW, I wouldn't be charging anywhere near that…

-SD
lol ya good websites are crazy expensive

i'd offer my services but i'm working on CordeyEW's site.

basically what i do is draw out on paper what i want the final product to look like, then i either dive in if i am confident that i can accomplish it. or look up what ever i'm not sure about and take it from there. Dream weaver makes it extreamly easy to make a basic website, i think you'd be surprised what you could accomplish with it.
Ok thanks a lot. I'll be having a go with Dreamweaver today, and I'll see how it goes.
actually with spring break i'd like to pick up another project... plus i want to start a portfolio
*pm'd*
im pretty sure that if you two just keep at it using adobe dreamweaver, say spend 2-3months just adding bits and pieces slowly, itll be a bout as good as any 1K website...or not...depends on your skills and if u can be bothered to make good graphics for your site.
Indeed
i could hand code, but i would need someone to do all the images since i suck at that
Quote by musical donkey
cyclobs you are demented..... in a good way
Quote by fridge_raider

What are you trying to achieve with the website? i.e. is it just a static advertising tool for your venture or is it going to be used to conduct business (like an e-shop for example)..
Do you have a business plan?
Do you have a marketing strategy?
Do you have any time constraints / deadlines?
Do you know your target demographic?
Do you already have a domain(s)?
hosting?
Do you understand the legal obligations that go along with running the website (if there are any where you're from)?

Cost to have it done?
First you need to figure out what you need done, because anyone (or business) who has the skills to do it properly won't quote you anything less than 10 million based on what you've currently given us... (ie nothing)
Quote by SilentDeftone

It can cost around $1k for a full-blown small-business site…* depends on who you hire and what you want done.

In pretty much all cases 1k would be considered a bargain for a small business site, even if it was just a static site with a simple design and branding already provided by the business.

Unless of course you don't care enough about your business to hand the work over to professionals who actually know what they're doing...