so does mine. i think we need our drummers to practice with a metronome, (sorry to the thread below about the guy ranting on about how you don't need them) but i'm pretty sure drummers need to practice with metronomes.
all musicians have to practice with metronomes!! the second guitarist and drummer in my band could never play in time until i made them practice with metronomes like i did way back when i first started.

well metronomes worked for my 'mates so give it a shot
You could record some click tracks (Audacity can generate them) and put them on an mp3 player, so that he can listen to a metronome while playing.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
Quote by dtank
what should you tell him?

"SLOW THE F*** DOWN"

That's what she said.
thats what i say, my brother did it like crazy, but i yelled at him every single time and now he gets it right
BE HAPPY

Quote by ajmasterjaydude
so this kid at my school microwaved brussel sprouts for lunch, and when he was about to eat them one of them exploded on his face and burned him. i like turtles

in a thread about malmsteen^
Quote by mosh_face
thats what i say, my brother did it like crazy, but i yelled at him every single time and now he gets it right

thats what she said too!!!

just make him practice with a metronome

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
if you can stay in time and so can the rest of your band you could play in time and make him look like a idiot for not playing in time and he will soon decide he needs to get better.
Feelin the Blues

"The Blues are a simple music and I'm a simple man. But the Blues aren't a science, the Blues can't be broken down like a mathematics. The Blues are a mystery, and mysteries are never as simple as they look" - BB King
god...drummers. They all do that. I especially hate it when they're all nervous at a show and suddenly you find all your songs are now in light-speed.

two solutions 1) get a better drummer 2)discipline him...often. Give him a little treat if he does well to reinforce his good timing. I think drummers like energy drinks.

Metronome, choke collar...anything you do, make sure your entire band has your back...or else he might end up thinking that you're an a-hole instead of thinking"oh, I suck and need to practice" good luck!
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
boot to the head

also try in bandleading, might get a better response.

like someone else said, metronome, my old drummer practiced to one religiously and he was insanely tight (like bordering on neil peart, just not nearly as technical as him since his big influence was john bonham)
^
I agree with everything except for the treats. He's a human, not a dog. You can just give him praise, saying things like, "Dude, that sounded awesome. Keep it up!" or something like that. You don't need to say, "Okay, you stayed in time like a good boy. Here's a Red Bull!"
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
Whenever he speeds up, get all your band members to group-wank onto his snare.
Quote by Page&HammettFan
^
I agree with everything except for the treats. He's a human, not a dog. You can just give him praise, saying things like, "Dude, that sounded awesome. Keep it up!" or something like that. You don't need to say, "Okay, you stayed in time like a good boy. Here's a Red Bull!"
I was...kidding.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Quote by Deluk
just stop the song and tell him

Actually, I disagree. Being both a guitarist and drummer myself, I think it's best to work on hand signals - like pointing towards the ground means "slow down" and pointing up means "speed up", etc. If you can get through the whole song at the right tempo, it will start to get through the drummer's head. If you just stop every time, nothing will be learned. What's gonna happen when you play live? Are you just going to stop in the middle of the song and start back at the correct tempo?
Tell you're drummer: Too fast, you're hurting me
Har nånn egentli vorri langt sjøl om bestemt sæ for å bruk t å me gå å vill å gjør sjå mer lik?
Quote by Page&HammettFan
^

but he's a drummer..... he's a f#ckin glorified metronome!!!!

really though i kid, a good drummer is hard to come by and don't slap him around too much or you may find yourself without a drummer