I'm not ready to spend a whole bunch of money to get an amazing clean tone right now, but hypothetically, what would I be looking at? I like the sound of all Dire Straits stuff. Heavy Fuel, Sultans, the whole deal. The only thing I know I'll need so far is a *Fender* (Or a decent single coiled guitar) through... actually, I don't know what amp id like! I'm more of a metal guy, but have taken a recent liking to a lot of cleans.
So in short, I'm looking at something like a Clean Clapton or Dire Straits with good sustain. Any ideas?
For cleans, the amp is the Fender Deluxe/Twin Reverb. There is no clean sound like it.

For that music, a compressor, twangy pickups, maybe a telecaster.
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
He used a Strat with a 3-way selector switch. For Sultans, he pretty much had the selector set where the modern 5-way would be for bridge/middle.

And yes, Fender amps.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
I admit I don't know much about clean, but I am looking at a Twin Reverb or Deluxe Reverb? Can't those get pretty pricey? I mean, I wouldnt be on a budget, but is there anything I could do on a lesser scale?
Quote by nedthehead
I admit I don't know much about clean, but I am looking at a Twin Reverb or Deluxe Reverb? Can't those get pretty pricey? I mean, I wouldnt be on a budget, but is there anything I could do on a lesser scale?

depends on your budget. Those amps are around a grand. Maybe try a Fender Blues Junior, its about 500
Maybe a really small tube amp. For those type of cleans, you'll definately need to go tube. Maybe one of Fender's 5 watters or 15 watters? Like a Blues Junior perhaps?

And yeah. Those TR's and DR's are epicly expensive.

EDIT: hawk beat me to it, actually....
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by nedthehead
You say you wouldn't be on a budget, but how much you're willing to spend is critical information, dude.
Quote by Flying Couch
You say you wouldn't be on a budget, but how much you're willing to spend is critical information, dude.

I agree. Hmm... I have a Tele, which isn't the best right now, but I could clean it up and add a new set of pickups, so I guess around $1000 CDN would be my budget.
Would the Blues JR get those types of tones? I don't need more than 15 watts tube or so. I don't expect to be playing large gigs, and wouconcievable budget.
You can VERY easily get a used Twin Reverb for less than $800.

I recently saw a 1977 perfectly well working Twin Reverb for $650.

Knopfler used a Strat with rosewood neck, he has a signature model actually.
High as tits
^ Yeah, you really ought to go used.

$1000 CND? If you go used, you can find a treasure trove of top-notch gear that way.
If you are spending that kind of cash, check out the used fender market first, because I often see DRRI on craigslist for $650-800 U.S.

If you don't need the volume, the blues junior works great, and has gorgeous cleans. It is kind of hard to get over a band and stay clean though, it starts to break up pretty fast. Maybe check out the Hot Rod Deluxe/Deville?
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Thanks a lot guys! I called a music store around where I live that stock Fender amps as floor models! I'll be going in in the next few days to look at an amp... well, a few Fender Amps.
And I probably won't be using the amp for gigging, and if I do, it won't be very large shows at all. So volume isn't neccessary.
Mark Knopfler actually used some old Crate Vintage Club amps sometimes, or at least endorsed them. Pretty nice tube amps with very sexy cleans. You could get a 50 watter for around $300 so much cheaper than a Fender tube.
I wanna chime in that Mark Knopfler fingerpicks 95% of everything he plays, that helps mellow out his tone a lot..

Blues Junior seems like a good option, you don't need a massive fender twin.

And he played Strats but he played les pauls aswell sometimes so you don't neccesarily NEED single coils for that kind of tone.
He started playing his LP after Clapton gave it to him, and I believe he used it to record Brothers in Arms.
High as tits
Knopfler interview.

Finger pick a Strat through a Vibrolux.

My Champ does a fair job of it, the Super Reverb will nail Knopfler's sound at lower volumes. Cranked, it's a bit harder because the Super Reverb gets way dirty, I use my Peavey MX for Sultans onstage, but it doesn't quite peg the sound quite as well as the Super Reverb does.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Blues Deluxe
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
i think he used a tele on "walk of life" (or whatever that one with the baseball video was)

LP on brothers in arms, money for nothing.

most of the rest of the famous ones are a strat, i think. Not too sure about the amp, i'm guessing you won't go too far wrong with a fender or similar though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by The red Strat.
too loud for home practice.

I didnt read anything about it being for home practice?
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster