At least I have an idea what I'm looking for though...
Alright, new amp time. I want a combo, preferably under $800 but definitely no more than $1000. I'm willing to go used. My primary concern is the clean tone, as I have a fantastic distortion pedal I can use in place of amp distortion. The cleans need to be CLEAN, with good headroom. I'll be using this at jams and gigs, maybe for practise too. Controls should be fairly responsive, as I'm a definite tone freak. Don't care if it's solid state or tube (read on...) so long as it sounds good. Again, good distortion is a plus but not essential, but the cleans should be as good as possible.
I'm currently looking at these combos:
Traynor YCV50Blue
Traynor YCV40WR
Roland JC-120 Jazz Chorus
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe or maybe the 65 Deluxe Reverb if I can find a good price used.

Opinions please, and if you want to recommend another amp I'll take a look. Thanks!
Hey man. um personally, and from experience i'd stay away from the fender 65's in general, i had one, and its clean wasn't great. same with my buddy's. i went straight for a Marshall half stack(the HDFX100) 100 watt amp w/ 120 watt slanted cab, and its clean sound was pure, and quite exhilarating. i tried the combo version of it, had a great clean sound, but not quite as good as the half stack i had. when i bought it it was aobut 1100 total, but now its much lower... you could get the stuff i had for about like 800 to 900 at jsut about any L&M stores.
^Flame shield to you, good sir.

If absolute clean is important to you, get JC-120, or a Polytone if you can find it. I would have gone with CPB150, which I still haven't really cranked it... yet; but definitely work well as vocal PA.
Quote by infested_raynor
Hey man. um personally, and from experience i'd stay away from the fender 65's in general, i had one, and its clean wasn't great. same with my buddy's. i went straight for a Marshall half stack(the HDFX100) 100 watt amp w/ 120 watt slanted cab, and its clean sound was pure, and quite exhilarating. i tried the combo version of it, had a great clean sound, but not quite as good as the half stack i had. when i bought it it was aobut 1100 total, but now its much lower... you could get the stuff i had for about like 800 to 900 at jsut about any L&M stores.

You are a flamer. You had a sucky FM65DSP and "upgraded" to something even worse. You get the award for most fail. *Hands grenade to him*
Quote by Jestersage
^Flame shield to you, good sir.

If absolute clean is important to you, get JC-120, or a Polytone if you can find it. I would have gone with CPB150, which I still haven't really cranked it... yet; but definitely work well as vocal PA.

I did not know about the Polytone amps, but I looked them up and it seems you know what I'm after. If I can find one to try out I'll definitely check them out.
Thanks for the recommendations so far! 2 for the jc-120, 0 for the rest. Thanks for the recommendation infested_raynor, but I've tried the hdfx combos and the cleans weren't all that exciting, just like you said, so I'll pass on that.
acdcrocks, you're the flamer here. Back off, ok? He gave his opinion and made a recommendation, while all you did was flame him for his choice of amps. You didn't even make a recommendation. *takes grenade and chucks it into nearby toilet*
The Hot Rod Deluxe will get you the best cleans at the lowest price. You could probably find one used for $400 or less. Better choice than the JC-120, IMHO, if you're going to be running any kind of OD or distortion thru it.

I like the gain channels on the Traynors better, but if you're only going to use the clean channel anyway, might as well go with the Fender.

The Deluxe Reverb is a beautiful amp btw, but probably not powerful enough for gigs.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Having just got myself a JC-120, I can definately recommend it. Stunning amp even second-hand. It's more suited to getting distortion from pedals/multi-fx though, so if you want an amp with a good distortion, look at the Traynors.

Edit: Have you looked into Laney amps at all? They have gorgeous cleans. Again, you'd probably need a pedal to get to any kind of higher gain distortion, but you'd be saving a fair bit of cash and still be getting a fantastic amp. [Have a gander at the VC30 or 50]
Last edited by ChrisN at Mar 25, 2008,