What are pros and cons of wearing a helmet while riding a bicycle?

like you hear people say, that wearing a seat-belt saved there life, and some other people say it would have killed them if they had been wearing it.

Well its kinda what i'm looking for, but about bicycle helmets.
If you are biking on a flat road where there is relatively no danger of getting hurt, it doesn't matter if you are wearing a helmet or not. If you are doing 30+ mph descents down hills, it makes a lot of sense to be wearing a good helmet.

Either way, better safe than sorry.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
u look silly wearing them?

a bear once told me they can explode.......
sacrificial beaver of the laney cult

~Gear~

Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
ESP LTD F-2005
Laney VH100R *with free cab*
Roland Cube 60
Cort Acoustic
protip: concrete is harder than your face
therefore, pros: you won't bash your head when you crash
cons: you look like a weird kid with a helmet
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Always outnumbered, never outgunned...
Quote by bigtimmy
u look silly wearing them?

a bear once told me they can explode.......

trying too hard ^
Pros - You're safe
Cons - You look like a total douchebag.

I never wore mine when I just rode around town and I was in just about as much danger as I would be if I were walking. If I was going through trails or down mountain roads, I'd wear it.
BRIGHT LIGHTS PUT ME IN A TRANCE.
but it aint house music that makes me want to dance.
A helmet saved my life and that will always make me wear one. I flipped off the front of the bike and landed headfirst on a really big rock and broke the helmet clean in half; I don't want to think about that being my skull.

Helmets don't do anything wrong except for looking stupid.
IIIIIII
Quote by ibanez_artcore
and some other people say it would have killed them if they had been wearing it.

How would they know?

I've never heard of a con to wearing a helmet, other than they can some times look kinda silly.
epic7734
Pros: Could save your skull and brain from damage, or at least some pain and nasty scrapes, in the event of an accident. I've been saved at least once from something very unpleasant by my helmet.

Cons: Few or none.
certain helmets are actually dangerous if you're riding on the street. the ones with big fins coming off the back for aerodynamics can potentially bend your neck to the point of breaking it if you fall on it the wrong way.
My live set-up:
72 Tele Custom
TC Electronics Polytune
MXR Dynacomp
deviever Shoe Gazer
Way Huge Red Llama Clone
Effector13 Soda Meiser
Vintage Proco Rat
DOD Buzzbox
Dwarfcraft Robot Devil
EA Tremolo
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Traynor YBA-2B
If you don't wear a helmet when you bike, I'll be laughing when your brains splatter across the pavement.