Hey guys, got a question for ya:

I bought a Fender MIM Standard Jazz Bass probably six months ago. It seemed ok when I played it in the store. But when I did my first serious playing with it, I realized that the strings were farther away from the fretboard than I would have preferred. After looking at it when I got home, I saw some bend near the top of the neck. I didn't worry about it until recently when I refinished and put new pickups in this Squire P-Bass I got a while back, and the neck on the P-Bass is much straighter, the action lower and it is simply just easier to play. I tried adjusting the string height on the bridge of the J-bass, but it wouldn't go as far down as I would like without some serious fret buzzing. I remember that the guy at Samash, where I bought the jazz bass, sold me the bass right off the wall, instead of taking a new one from the stock room. I don't think the associate was very happy with me. Besides from seeming like a dick all the time, there is some backstory:
Before I bought this jazz bass, I bought a slightly cheaper OLP bass, along with their samash repair/care package. I had brought it back a little over a month later to get it re-stringed (hey might as well use that package) and have it set up properly. The tech over there calls me a week later and says that a few of the screws holding the neck on were broken, but he didn't know this, and in his setting up, broke another part. He said I would have to pay for all the labor and parts to fix it. After going over it on the phone with their manager, I got them to fix the thing properly, for no cost. After having it "fixed" I still just wasn't liking the bass that much, so I went to return it (part of the package lets you return a guitar for full price for an extended time). When I walked into the store, I had my bass in hand and said to one guy "I'd like to exchange this" and he takes one look at it and says "No thanks." A little offended, I explained that I had this package and had every right to return this bass. This guy just seemed so uninterested in helping me. Anyways, I had been eying a jazz bass for some time, and this was now my chance to get one. I tried it out, and like I said, it seemed ok in the store. I told the guy that I wanted this one, and he said "Ok" and just took the one I was playing right off the wall and put it in a gigbag that comes with that particular fender bass.
Now my question is: I have small hands. The size of the neck is no problem, it would actually be very nice if I could just get the strings lower. Is there any way to "unbend" the neck of my jazz bass? I don't know much about adjusting the truss rod, I've never tinkered with that part of any of my guitars (usually a simple adjustment of the bridge will get it to feel right for me). Was I stupid for accepting the bass right off the wall? (I have made a note to myself not to accept anything off the wall of Samash anymore). I know you guys like pictures so I've attached pictures to show the neck warp:

Any help is greatly appreciated.
6th member of "its not rape, its surprise sex" club
FRAT.

most likely, but it's probably possible to do a little truss rod lovin'.
------

Shwiggity.
definately some neckbow there, a truss rod adjustment will help though( if there is any adjustment available) ie. is the trussnut already tight? if so do't tighten it...if not try 1/8 turns allowing time for the guitar to settle in between adjustments
Quote by allcree
definately some neckbow there, a truss rod adjustment will help though( if there is any adjustment available) ie. is the trussnut already tight? if so do't tighten it...if not try 1/8 turns allowing time for the guitar to settle in between adjustments

Just looks like a bow. Listen to this guy.
restless: Only problem is that like I said, I got this a while ago, so I figure that talking to anyone at the store will just get me laughed at

How do I adjust the truss rod? Do I need a special tool for that? and is there any kind of good walk-through?
Quote by RockinPorsche
restless: Only problem is that like I said, I got this a while ago, so I figure that talking to anyone at the store will just get me laughed at

How do I adjust the truss rod? Do I need a special tool for that? and is there any kind of good walk-through?

An allen wrench. Don't know the size though
Ok I just found an allen wrench that fits, and I turned it to the right a little bit. Am I doing it right? how long do I let it set before I turn it some more?

And I'll ask my other question again: is it stupid to accept items off the wall of a guitar store? especially one like SamAsh where people go in and play with the stuff on the wall all the time?
personally, I find that there's no difference IF the guitars are maintained.

if you are going to buy a guitar off the wall, ask them to do a quick spec check, just to make sure the instrument's in good shape. any self-respecting guitar store will give you the benefit of a 15-minute lookover to ensure the word-of-mouth will be in a positive fashion, to uphold the oh-so-important customer base.

it's not hard to kill off an entire client base just because of a shitty guitar sale, fore example:
how many people will think twice about going to a Sam Ash music store after reading this post?

just a thought.

hope this helped.

------

Shwiggity.
Quote by RockinPorsche
Ok I just found an allen wrench that fits, and I turned it to the right a little bit. Am I doing it right? how long do I let it set before I turn it some more?
Clockwise. About an hour or two between small adjustments will be fine at first. It should take at least 5 to get that near straight. Use a metal straightedge and lay it against the frets. The ends will lay against the frets. You see a gap between the frets halfway between the ends of the straightedge. This will give you an idea of how much each adjustment is doing. As the gap gets smaller, you'll want to stop before it's perfectly straight. A very slight bow is a good thing.

As the neck straightens, you'll need to retune. If you don't, the tension on the strings will increase and they will be tuned very sharp.

Quote by RockinPorsche
And I'll ask my other question again: is it stupid to accept items off the wall of a guitar store? especially one like SamAsh where people go in and play with the stuff on the wall all the time?
Sometimes the one on the wall is the best of the bunch. You never know. I always ask to see all the stock of an instrument I'm about to buy. I sight them all up and start my selection there.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Sometimes the one on the wall is the best of the bunch. You never know. I always ask to see all the stock of an instrument I'm about to buy. I sight them all up and start my selection there.

I do the same, because I seemed to of discovered that all instruments are not identical. Due to care, craftsmanship, materials used, electronic's used. 2 of the same models might be very different.