Hey, i was wondering how many people rest their 4th and pinky fingers on the guitar while playing notes (not sturmming).

does it make a difference if you support your hand or not?

im just asking because i am a left hander playing right handed, and it is hard to keep my right hand steady without support, and i wanted to know if i should get into the habit of using no support.

cheers
I do it, and alot of professional guitarists do it from what I've noticed. I think it's better to use the support, it seems to help when trying to play fast.
I do not do it that way, Its uncomfortable for me to do it that way. I move my hand around a lot, maybe too much, and a lot of times I keep it down low. I've never seen anyone pick like I do (self taught, for the first year of playing I hadn't played with any other guitarist, so I had a few bad habbits probably). My picking style is closest to what it looks like Friedman from megadeth does.
Quote by C O B H C
If you want to get really technical about it..

1. Grab sticks.
2. Bang sticks on drums.

^how to play drums.

UG POKER
yeah milanious already said it but slash does, i do as well a lot of teachers will recommend against it but i cant play without it
Gear:
1980 Gibson SG Standard Cherry Red
Ibanez TM-71 Talman Artcore Semi-Hollow
2003 Tom Delonge Fender Strat Seafoam Green
Traynor YCV40
Its actually a big argument whether or not you should anchor. If you are trying to get into shred then I would recommend not anchoring. For a couple reasons. First off economy of motion, if you have an anchor than as you go across the strings the angle of the pick is constantly changing which means there is more movement. Secondly, tension is another reason if you are trying to play fast your arm tenses more easily when your fingers are anchored. But if you are not trying to be to shred and you don't notice to much tension then go ahead.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Quote by Led man32
Its actually a big argument whether or not you should anchor. If you are trying to get into shred then I would recommend not anchoring. For a couple reasons. First off economy of motion, if you have an anchor than as you go across the strings the angle of the pick is constantly changing which means there is more movement. Secondly, tension is another reason if you are trying to play fast your arm tenses more easily when your fingers are anchored. But if you are not trying to be to shred and you don't notice to much tension then go ahead.

Yes, I've heard this too. I think I heard an interview with Dave Mustaine and he said he will anchor for riffing and lift off for solos etc.

Personally I find anchoring with the pinky uncomfortable. I generally float.
Im doing different...

Im using my palm as an anchor most of the tym...

Am I doing it wrong?
....so little time.
Oh god, here comes another anchoring bitchfest.

Anyway, Dok Waw, many would say you're doing it wrong if you're anchoring your palm on the bridge - I tend to agree, as it will likely slowly you down and create lots of unnecessary pressure on your wrist that could lead to carpal tunnel.

Personally, the only thing I ever anchor is my pinky, but only on very fast runs.