Page 1 of 2
Hey guys,
I'm way into the Red hot Chili Peppers, and im about to get a new guitar amp. I was wondering what kind of amp should i get so i can get a lot of noises like them (Can't Stop, Dani California, Scar tissue, etc) I know that John frusciante uses a really huge marshall full stack so if i got like a marshall half stack would that work?
and as for a guitar, im getting an ESP eclipse, with emgs, hope thats not a problem.
I dont think the fact that he has a fender strat is THAT big a deal is it?
what do you guys think, as far as amp, pedals, etc

thanks for the support
fellow RHCP fans
My Gear:
Fender American 60's Strat
Peavey Valveking Stack
Boss ME-50
Homebrew Crystal Bawl Wah
if you want to get johns sound, i dont recommend a esp, those are more for high gain set ups and metal ish stuff. try a strat or tele. and as for a amp, maybe a jcm combo or something of that sort.

edit- and as far as pedals, his main dist. pedal is a ds-2 and a muff so that would be a good choice. as for any of his other pedals they just get more and more expensive. if you can afford it get a moog pedal, with one of those you can basically emulate most of the sounds on stadium arcadium
Last edited by jcopello at Mar 11, 2008,
GET A STRAT!!!!

[/obnoxious]

But seriously, you NEED a strat for Froosh tones. If you mean Marshall half stack, do NOT get an MG. Get a used JCM900 and use that for cleans. Use a Boss DS2 and EHX Big Muff for distorted stuff.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
GET A STRAT!!!!

[/obnoxious]

But seriously, you NEED a strat for Froosh tones. If you mean Marshall half stack, do NOT get an MG. Get a used JCM900 and use that for cleans. Use a Boss DS2 and EHX Big Muff for distorted stuff.

+1

The ESP won't get you the tone you're looking for. If you listen to Frusciante's tone, its distinctly Fender.
a guy told me that the tremolo bar was called the "distortionator"
Quote by dbzrage3k
+1

The ESP won't get you the tone you're looking for. If you listen to Frusciante's tone, its distinctly Fender.

Or his Gretch White Falcon. It is beautiful...
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Quote by FLCLcowdude
Or his Gretch White Falcon. It is beautiful...

oh so beautiful...
ok, so this JCM amp?
is that more expensive?

and what kind of strat are we talking here? Im all for a strat,
make some recommendations
My Gear:
Peavey Valveking Stack
Boss ME-50
Yes John uses a Marshall stack live.. but you don't need a stack, or a half-stack.. Instead of spending extra money on having 4 speakers instead of 1 or 2 you can use that extra money to get a BETTER QUALITY amp..

And yes you won't get very good RHCP tones with an EMG's LP knockoff... Get a 62 re-issue Telecaster! His Tele tone is always nicer than his strat tone IMO.

I dare say he would use some vintage Marshall head like a plexi or something, so I dunno what kinda amp to recommend you.. Maybe look for a JCM 900 combo or a JTM combo, they should do RHCP pretty well.
Quote by dbzrage3k
+1

+2. Much less one with EMG's as those are pretty much terrible for cleans.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by Devilsguitarist
ok, so this JCM amp?
is that more expensive?

and what kind of strat are we talking here? Im all for a strat,
make some recommendations

How much do you have to spend?
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by soul_power
How much do you have to spend?

hmm.... lets say i have about a little bit over 1000 for a guitar, and then like i'd probably only be able to spend about 500-600 on an amp :/

i do gig btw
My Gear:
Peavey Valveking Stack
Boss ME-50
Quote by Devilsguitarist
hmm.... lets say i have about a little bit over 1000 for a guitar, and then like i'd probably only be able to spend about 500-600 on an amp :/

i do gig btw

American Strat on the guitar and a Peavey Classic 30 for the amp.
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
I agree with a Strat or practically anything with single coils which is pretty much restricted to Fender and any knockoffs of any Fender guitar

Edit: and John's guitar's are pretty much stock so don't worry about any customizing anything on the guitar
Quote by chinkboy7
I agree with a Strat or practically anything with single coils which is pretty much restricted to Fender and any knockoffs of any Fender guitar

Edit: and John's guitar's are pretty much stock so don't worry about any customizing anything on the guitar

Big difference in a pre CBS stock guitar and a post CBS one (John uses mostly pre CBS BTW)
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Quote by soul_power
Big difference in a pre CBS stock guitar and a post CBS one (John uses mostly pre CBS BTW)

well I said pretty much which doesn't mean that it's completely correct
Quote by chinkboy7
well I said pretty much which doesn't mean that it's completely correct

"CBS" ?
My Gear:
Peavey Valveking Stack
Boss ME-50
50's or 60's reissue strat will do the job, i love the seafoam green 50's one but anyone will do. just do some searching on craigslist and ebay and eventually youll find the one and know you have.

as for a amp maybe a jtm45 combo or jcm900, those will give you killer sounds, anything thats tube and has the name marshall on it will give you a very solid sound.
You should spend more money on the amp than the guitar. Try $1000 for an amp and $600 for a guitar. Most of the tone comes from the amp, plus you can still get a nice Strat for around $600.
Daron. The Pit loves you.
daron aka kosmic is now a pit legend
Best post on the pit. Good for you.
thats pretty epic.
So you're like a slower paced Forrest Gump...
Yup...
Quote by Devilsguitarist
"CBS" ?

Pre CBS Fenders were (correct me if I'm wrong on this) made before 1966.
EDIT: I believe Johns is a 1962 which as you can see go for a pretty penny... http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Stratocaster-1962-Original_W0QQitemZ280206877981QQihZ018QQcategoryZ33034QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Maybe go for a 1962 Reissue (they were pretty much built to the same specs as the originals they just lack the vintage character that make the originals so valuable)
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Last edited by soul_power at Mar 12, 2008,
You can get by with a strat, and a Fender tube amp..
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
Quote by Mockingbird452
Just get a regular Fender Strat for like $400 and spend the rest on a good amp.

please no. standard HSS strats are rubbish.

spend a decent amount on a guitar, but definitly more on the amp, thats where you get most of all your sound from.
Quote by Devilsguitarist

i do gig btw

Rearrange your money a little bit.

Get a HWY1 Strat and a Traynor YCV 50 Blue.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Yeah the EMGs are a huge problem, you need a strat for them kind of tones, and a clean vintage marshall/british amp.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
American Strat + some Marshall I guess... or maybe Orange rocker 30 + Mexican Strat.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Peavey Classic 30 and a USA Strat
Ibanez RG570
USA Strat
Epi Les Paul

Peavey Classic 30
Epi Valve Jnr
Laney LV200
Boss ME50
Daddy O
DC Solid Metal
GNX 3000
Fender Classic 60's Strat + Blackheart Little Giant + Boss DS-2 + EHX Big Muff = the closest to his tone I've heard, and for about just a grand.

Of course, if you're willing to, you can get a 62 reissue and a Marshall Plexi, but I think unless you really don't need the money for anything else, you don't need to.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
I recommend You a Fender Strat and for an amp I'd go for Laney VC... VC-15 or bigger VC-30. They're really good for RHCP and pretty cheap so You'd have some money for pedals. Distortion - Boss DS-2, EHX Big Muff USA. Some sort of delay and phaser... like if You have money then Line 6 DL-4 for a delay. And You have everything.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio 2005
Marshall JTM-60
MXR Phase 90
Ibanez WH-10 Wah
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion
EHX Q-Tron +
Line 6 FM-4 Filter Modeler
Fender CD60 Acoustic
John Frusciante and RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS UG fanclub.
well man i play a showmaster qmt and im in love with it, so check out the showmasters man, you might like them as much as me, its like a prs and fender put together.
Not gonna get the sound you want. Showmasters sound a lot different that strats. Trust us, if you want rhcp, you want a strat.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
yeah and i just checked fender, and i guess they discontinued them or something, i figured they were they were never the most popular guitar ever.

and yeah, just go with a 50's or 60's reissue strat man.
Quote by slatsmania
Rearrange your money a little bit.

Get a HWY1 Strat and a Traynor YCV 50 Blue.

I like the way this guy thinks.

You're definitely gonna want to spend more on the amp, as you're definitely gonna want to go tube if you want a Frusciante tone.
a guy told me that the tremolo bar was called the "distortionator"
Quote by Devilsguitarist

You should really go for a classic strat and not a superstrat. Those are really geared for modern music. Something like...
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-American-Standard-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=515748 or
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Deluxe-Players-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=511597
You get the idea. Something with 3 single coils will give you the best RHCP tones.
EDIT: I have a Clapton Strat now but I've actually been thinking about getting one of these for the sake of having another Strat. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Deluxe-Players-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=511597
Beautiful guitar and it plays/sounds awesome as well.
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Last edited by soul_power at Mar 13, 2008,
Quote by Devilsguitarist
Hey guys,
I'm way into the Red hot Chili Peppers, and im about to get a new guitar amp. I was wondering what kind of amp should i get so i can get a lot of noises like them (Can't Stop, Dani California, Scar tissue, etc) I know that John frusciante uses a really huge marshall full stack so if i got like a marshall half stack would that work?
and as for a guitar, im getting an ESP eclipse, with emgs, hope thats not a problem.
I dont think the fact that he has a fender strat is THAT big a deal is it?
what do you guys think, as far as amp, pedals, etc

thanks for the support
fellow RHCP fans

I say get a strat and a marshall

BUT... He does use a lot of effects, if you don't have the right effects, a strat and a marshal amp isn't gonna help...
Quote by pwnerer
I say get a strat and a marshall

BUT... He does use a lot of effects, if you don't have the right effects, a strat and a marshal amp isn't gonna help...

would one of the sorta cheap MG amps do it?
or is the JCM one the one?
i cant seem to find it on the marshall site!

by the way thanks so much guys
everyones been a wonderful help so far.
now i just gotta figure out an amp
My Gear:
Peavey Valveking Stack
Boss ME-50
Quote by Devilsguitarist

Spend as much as you can on an amp... Thats like 80% of the sound.

If you wanna check out his guitar/amp/effect setup, go to this site and check out the forums. You'll find the biggest Frusciante freaks there who knows everything about his equipment.
i actually get a good froosh tone with my setup

picking up an mxr phase 90 which he used to use

boss rc -2 his rc-50's lil brother

his line six modeller//delay

and a ds-2 to get a more realistic tone and to play throw away your television

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by Devilsguitarist

Don't get an MG. They're terrible. You can get a good RHCP tone out of an amp like a Peavey Classic 30.
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Page 1 of 2