In the new issue of guitar world, on page 124 on through the fire and flames, it says "pac man" noise is made by raking the strings with a detatched vibrato bar. is there any other way to make that sound without a vibrato bar?
I don't know if it would damage your strings but the only thing I could think of is either a slide or a battery, maybe a metal chopstick?
I just take the side of my pick (bridge pickup, crank the gain) and rub it along the side of the high E towards the bridge, from about the middle of the space between the pickups.
I can make that noise without even having a whammy bar on my guitar, but it's not very fast and probably wouldn't be used if you were playing the song the actual speed. But I find if you reach over and mute the strings with your right hand and rake them with the pick in your left hand, it makes that noise. Especially if you're using the neck pickup.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
haha...I played with this sound once. The best way is to use any rounded metal surface to lightly rake the strings. Raking with other stuff gets the sound close...but not quite as good. Make sure it's metal. Make sure it's rounded.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
mute the strings way up on the neck and rake them real fast. Sounds pretty much the same.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
Mute strings at the highest fret, slide the SIDE of your pick down the strings. Same sound as in TTFAF
YES THERE IS. just put ur left hand muted on just about the bottom of the neck (towards the guitar) and just have it so ur muting all the strings. then just play all the strings pretty fast
Quote by bambi_slaughter

what sound does a baby make when you put it in a blender?
i dunno, i was to busy masturba ting.

Quote by maroon5mustdie
EVH. I saw him in concert. And his brother was seriously the worst bass player I've ever seen.

Quote by operation ktulu
if my guitar had a pussy, i would never leave my room
Make sure your bridge pickup is on, and there's a good amount of distortion. Turn your pick so that it's perpendicular to the strings rather than parallel, and rake them as you mute with your left hand. It gets the exact same sound for me.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
you can turn your pick on its side and run the edge of the pick up and down the string and get the same sound.
Well im pretty sure you can use distortion because they said you needed a stop button to play jordan by buckethead but i used my pedal to delay the pattern just right
Quote by themetal090
Well im pretty sure you can use distortion because they said you needed a stop button to play jordan by buckethead but i used my pedal to delay the pattern just right

u can use any 3 way selector switch and turn the the rhythm pickups volume down.

and for the pac man noise u can use anything metal
Quote by Tubyboulin
Batteries, ChipClips, pencils, input Jacks,pedals, Picks, Anything hard should work

Anything hard you say?

I think I just got an idea for my next gig
Or if you can buy a metal chopstick from your local supermarket, those work just as well as a tremolo arm
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard (Cherry finish)
Ibanez JS1000 (Black Pearl finish)

Effects:
Zoom G2.1u

Amp:
Bugera 333XL Head (Coming Soon)
Avatar G212H Special (Coming Soon)
Crate FW15R
Something I've been fooling with lately sounds similar, I was screwing around and made a bunch of nicks in the edge of my pick with a hobby knife and then (pretty much what everyone else said) muted the strings at about the 22nd or 24th frets and raked the edge of the pick across em.