Quote by psychodelia
In sound?

They sound very nice

Meh, it's just really a harmonic minor thing. Not my forte.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Quote by psychodelia
In sound?

They sound very nice

it sounds nice because the top three notes form an aumgented triad, which is quite uncommon, and has a unique tonality.

It could also be written as Eb+/C for a chord that goes (C, Eb, G, B)
this would be an A minor major on guitar. Someone correct me quick if im wrong

x

Edit: if you do the bass tonic note on the E string it will sound more odd because you will end up with the tonic note on the high e string as well. The dissonance will be more pronounced
Last edited by litelbrown at Mar 12, 2008,
Quote by litelbrown
this would be an A major minor on guitar. Someone correct me quick if im wrong

x

That would be the correct Ammaj7 (not major minor, which would be dominant) open shape.
Quote by isaac_bandits
That would be the correct Ammaj7 (not major minor, which would be dominant) open shape.

sorry, my jazz lead-line slang got the best of me
Quote by isaac_bandits
it sounds nice because the top three notes form an aumgented triad, which is quite uncommon, and has a unique tonality.

It could also be written as Eb+/C for a chord that goes (C, Eb, G, B)

^ That is the right way to right it. As an inverted augmented triad. There is really no such thing as a minor major chord in a harmonic progression, you can call it that if you want to, but that is not right.

In harmony it would be denoted Eb+/C
To be the last one
who will sing you to sleep...

christie.FRONT.drive
Quote by CMJPEC
^ That is the right way to right it. As an inverted augmented triad. There is really no such thing as a minor major chord in a harmonic progression, you can call it that if you want to, but that is not right.

In harmony it would be denoted Eb+/C

It would depend on the context. There is most certainly such thing as a mmaj7 chord, it's just not found in diatonic harmony. Eb+/C would contain the same notes, but it is not the same thing.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
It would depend on the context. There is most certainly such thing as a mmaj7 chord, it's just not found in diatonic harmony. Eb+/C would contain the same notes, but it is not the same thing.

Exactly what I mean....I dono...I guess my years of music theory has lead me to look at things harmonically. I would loose points for writing mM7 on a test/homework assignment.
To be the last one

christie.FRONT.drive
In the particular progression I'm using, I think mMaj7 makes more sense than an inversion of an augmented chord. The progression is A C#7 Fm DmMaj7. C# is being used as a pedal tone or a drone.
Quote by CMJPEC
Exactly what I mean....I dono...I guess my years of music theory has lead me to look at things harmonically. I would loose points for writing mM7 on a test/homework assignment.

Different genres have different theoretical conventions. I have no doubt that the use of a "mMaj7" chord would be frowned upon in certain circles, but it does exist.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
So your seventh is a C#......I can't imagine how that would sound.

I would still right it f+/c# Because in the key you are playing in you are utilizing the minor vi+ and III tones.

To me, who thinks diatonically, my way just makes sense....I would, personally, be confused by seeing a mM7 because I never have before. But all that matters is you understand it and your questions were answered
To be the last one

christie.FRONT.drive
Last edited by CMJPEC at Mar 12, 2008,
Quote by psychodelia
In sound?

They sound very nice

i just mean they're a bit odd to finger as chord shapes, and they usually only sound good as one small part of a much bigger progression... like as a transitional chord or as part of a turnaround