Page 1 of 4
So i got my gold hardware and stuff, kahler tremolo, and i always liked the thin-line. Walnut back, figured maple top, figured maple neck, ebony fingerboard. I glued up my two piece walnut back, bookmatched my maple. Routed out the chamber for the telecaster, sanded the inside of the chamber up to 600 grit so the f-hole will look pretty. When i glued up the top i compensated for squeeze-out of the glue around the chamber, so i got one little dot of glue that i popped out with my angled chissel. Did a rough cut of the body, routed out the f-hole. Thats all for today. The neck is gonna be a nice figured maple reverse strat neck, cant stand tele necks, the headstocks look like dicks to me. Here is a picture of the rough cut body so far. Will build the neck, get the fingerboard glued up, sand the body out tomorrow morning, and also start a sorta-jazz master build out of 2-piece mahogany, planning on putting some of those GFS lipstick tubes in it with string-through.

As for this one, i havea 3-way switch, volume, tone pot with coil tap, reverse strat output jack on the bottom of the guitar body, that should blow to route. Oh well, keep a look-out, i have a feeling this one will turn out pretty good.

Fuck yes, I'm totally stoked to see how this turns out. What are you thinking of for a finish?
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by LP Addict
im all oil bro, i believe in wood, not plastic or lacquer

Fucking excellent to hear! It's looking a little bit like what I had planned, with a different bridge of course.

What about pickups?
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Sweet. I'd have done it all the same aside from the fretboard (all maple for me)

This looks killer... Looking forward to more progress.
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
Quote by LP Addict
im all oil bro, i believe in wood, not plastic or lacquer

A big +1 to that my friend!
Got in the shop about 45 minutes ago, am so stoked on this i had to stop and take pictures. Ive got a nice figured ebony fingerboard, ill take ap icture of that when its on the neck. Gonna do SHH pickups, a little strange, but cool i guess. changing my 3-way to a 5-way switch. gonna get this badboy routed out today if i can get my fingerboard glued up in time. how does it look guys? oh and also included a picture of the back, its got some titebond splotches still, having thickness sanded it yet, im at about 1 25/32'' so i gotta take 1/32 or so off anyways.

Sexy!
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by LP Addict
Got in the shop about 45 minutes ago, am so stoked on this i had to stop and take pictures. Ive got a nice figured ebony fingerboard, ill take ap icture of that when its on the neck. Gonna do SHH pickups, a little strange, but cool i guess. changing my 3-way to a 5-way switch. gonna get this badboy routed out today if i can get my fingerboard glued up in time. how does it look guys? oh and also included a picture of the back, its got some titebond splotches still, having thickness sanded it yet, im at about 1 25/32'' so i gotta take 1/32 or so off anyways.

Sassy.

EDIT: +1 to the Octavarium CD.

way to be.
------

Shwiggity.
Probably the best build I've seen in a while.
It doesn't follow steriotypes, it has an askew pickup config, and a KAHLER! You my sir, are good.

I'll be following this.
This guitar is going to be the sickest. I made a tele on kiskae and it was almost identical! I am getting a Thinlinne soon, but cant wait to see how this turns out!!
Hello
*subscribed*... that is one original build!!

hope you dont mind... it being stealed after its done

<.<

>.>
That looks absolutely amazing. That Kahler trem looks awesome and it looks perfect with that F-hole.
I agree, pretty damn original build. Incorporates a lot of things I absolutely hate (JBs, Floating trem, strat headstock) but I still love the idea! Subscribing to this thread fo' sho.

What kind of single coil are you putting in the neck? Strat neck pickup or Tele, or different alltogether? Can't wait to see it finished, should be awesome!

EDIT: Would be cool if you made a build thread, just mirror this one, on the Telecaster forum.. www.tdpri.com ..They'd love this and could help you if you needed help doing anything. Just a suggestion.
Last edited by TheDev01dOne at Mar 12, 2008,
i want to put in a lipstick tube neck pickup from GFS. i might just put a nice hot tele neck pickup in. i really dont know. its definitely gonna be a single coil. i love the bridge being a humbucker, and i love the single coil tone, and if i want a neck pickup tone, ill coil tap the middle humbucker and use it with the neck, get it to cancel hum, then bam, i got a humbucker. it should be pretty cool when its done. its only my second build. my first one is almost done, just a plain basic strat, with the lil killer 3 pickup set from GFS, and the superstrat pickguard with the 3 3-way switches, on/off/on. should have alot of tonal capabilities. im on halt today, gluing the fingerboard on and stuff, so i cant route the body or anything until i get my neck routed and fit well.
Routed the neck pocket today. I cut out a piece of hard maple at 3/32 thick, routed the neck pocket to 28/32, glued the hard maple in too match the top, just for fun i guess. Glued the ebony fingerboard on the neck, which is also maple. this is gonna be a bright-sounding guitar for sure.

Nice dude, post a thread when you start something, i love watching guitars unfold. Today i bolted on my neck, tomorrow mornign all the routing, roundover, probably a pickup position change. no idea yet. might do 3 humbuckers, ive got 2 jbs, and 2 59's on my bench looking for a home. unfortunately, my neck pocket isnt very tight. its much tighter than any production guitar, but with my last 2, i could put the neck in and swing it around with no worries, but this one falls out when i pick it up, fingerboard slightly shifted towards the treble side, so when i flatblocked it i lost a little meat. its still okay though, still needs some smooshing to get in. things like that bother me big time.

If all goes according to schedule, hopefully i can shape my neck tomorrow too, atleast get the scoop in the peghead and the back. I will finish sand my guitar body tomorrow and start oiling, ill probably shape my neck with a shinzu blade, or a big big rasp. I bought inlay letters, KNH, initials, to put on the headstock, or on the 12th fret, havent decided yet. no fret dots as usual. i hate fret dots, i dont spend good cash on beautiful wood to put clay or plastic dots in it. plus they are tacky. side dots only for me kthanks
Sounds great man. +1 on no fret markers, guitars look so much nicer without them.

I like the idea of a Tele with a bridge and middle HB only.. Like put the bridge where it normally goes and then put the 'middle' a bit further towards the neck but not as far as it would normally go (did that make any sense??) Then it should have nice HB power without muddiness and would be nice and crispy. Just an idea anyway. Oh and do a 59 59 combo, I don't like JBs that much, really overrated pickups IMO.

Anyway now that I've told you how you should build your own guitar... can't wait to see the finish on this guitar, should be quite pretty looking. I await pictures.
nah, i need the JB in the bridge atleast, its a trembucker, so i need the string spacing. i mgiht put the single coil in the neck though, it just sounds so damn good, humbuckers in the neck position do sound muddy.
The string spacing isn't much of an issue. Some people even say that regular spaced humbuckers sound better than trembuckers.

But if you're deadset on a trembucker for the bridge, the 59 comes in trembucker spacing as well.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
oh my god that is gorgeous, its just.. jesus, wow. its niice!
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
YUMMYUMMMYUMMYYY

so in the past few days i have :

routed the kahler
routed the pickups
routed the control cavity in the back
drilled the channels for wires to/from all of it
began finish sanding
almost ruined the neck!

Pickups are SHH. weird i know. I love the single coil neck tone, humbuckers in the neck sound too muddy to me. Ive got a GFS lipstick tube coming for the neck, a duncan 59 for the middle, and a duncan TB-4 for the bridge. Kahler tremolo duh. apparently my laser cut center lines on my neck pickup were wrong, so my neck pickup came out slightly crooked. but its okay, because its giong to have a mounting plate on it. Tell me how you like that figure on the top!

here it is after i raised the grain for 220 grit:

so i re-clamped the fingerboard back onto the neck, in the car ried home it got really hot and i guess my elmers wood glue at the shop doesnt hold up to heat very well. so i went out and bought some titebond premium. and its clampd up right now, got tons of squeeze out so it will be good.

Just did a scallop on the lower horn of my tele. heres the pictures :

that is after a few passes, here is the finished product... had to take a little off at a time because the top is only 9/32 thick...

this guitar is as ive said and will continue to say.... AMAZING, i actually have no words for how nice this guitar is.
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
yeah, it is pretty good for my second build. my first one was pretty good, but i dont really like the guitar itself. i hate strats. haha. i just made it because it would be simple and i had a nice piece of alder.
i am really rather bummed about that neck pickup being slightly crooked. i cant believe i didnt see it when i was routing it. i feel pretty dumb. hopefully the pickup mounting ring will cover it nicely.
Last edited by LP Addict at Mar 22, 2008,
Page 1 of 4