I've been playing guitar for about a year now, and would like some help choosing an ACTUAL amp. Up to this point, I only used an old acoustic I found in my uncle's closet, and a new Ibanez RG350 which I use along with the demo version of Guitar Rig3.

Due to my limited budget $400ish(US) I narrowed my choices down to 2 amps, which were recommended by a guide here @ UG.

Laney LC15R
Hear great reviews for this little mofo, but it only has one channel, I don't know if it will impact my playing much, but it still comes to mind. The one thing keeps me from buying this is the price, as it is 500ish, new.(Unless I can find an used Laney, pm me plz ^_^)

Vox AD30VT

Well this one is within my reach, and also hear good things about it. How does it compare to the laney? I heard people saying that it can hold its ground against the laney even though its a SS amp, is it true? and would it make a great difference if i bought the 50W version(other then the 10%ish increase in volume?)

Thanks.
It all depends, what genres of music do you play?
Gear:
1980 Gibson SG Standard Cherry Red
Ibanez TM-71 Talman Artcore Semi-Hollow
2003 Tom Delonge Fender Strat Seafoam Green
Traynor YCV40
Whoops, thought I was on GGA(tabbed browsing...)
-Yeah US(east coast)
-Yes, I got a couple of friends who jam, and plan on joining them.
-As long as its not overused
-The music I play fluctuates randomly, sometimes I feel like playing metal, sometimes rock, to country, etc.

I chose those two because I heard good cleans and good distortion on some vids on youtube. (although my ears aren't probably that "trained", I can distinguish muddy tones that I wouldn't like when I play)

Edit: Typos
Last edited by Lucky#Slevin at Mar 12, 2008,
Quote by Lucky#Slevin
Whoops, thought I was on GGA(tabbed browsing...)
-Yeah US(east coast)
-Yes, I got a couple of friends who jam, and plan on joining them.
-As long as its not overused
-The music I play fluctuates randomly, sometimes I feel like playing metal, sometimes rock, to country, etc.

I would search for a used Traynor YCV50 blue on ebay then. Awesome amp, V30 speaker all tube goes from metal like tones (you may need a tube screamer in front if you want death metal stuff) all the way to jazz and blues. You really can't go wrong with it
Gear:
1980 Gibson SG Standard Cherry Red
Ibanez TM-71 Talman Artcore Semi-Hollow
2003 Tom Delonge Fender Strat Seafoam Green
Traynor YCV40
Both amps are pretty good. The Vox is a good amp, but pricey. For the same price, you can get a nice tube amp that can for sure keep up with a drummer, and have better dynamics.

The Laney is decent, but cleans are not going to be very loud, since there isn't a lot of clean headroom.

Have you tried checking your local craigslist.org?

You can probably find a nice used Peavey Classic 30 or Traynor YCV40 ot YCV50 for around 400-500 bucks there. If you want clips of a Traynor YCV40, check out some of the clips in my profile. "Mixolydian" is mostly done on a YCV40 with KT77 tubes installed. Youtube should have clips of them both, though.
Yeah, if you can ever find one used, they're great! I grabbed my YCV40 for 425.

That looks nice. The Peavey Classic series is nice...pretty versatile. Capable of anything up to hard rock...and can be pushed to decent metal tones with an overdrive.

Email him, find out if it's the 4x10" combo model. That one is WAY too heavy, even for me.
Yeah, hopefully he/she still has it. I think its a 2x12" since you can clearly see 2 speakers.
Quote by SG6578
I would search for a used Traynor YCV50 blue on ebay then. Awesome amp, V30 speaker all tube goes from metal like tones (you may need a tube screamer in front if you want death metal stuff) all the way to jazz and blues. You really can't go wrong with it

+1 to the YCV50. I sold my ridiculously loud Fender Hotrod Deville 212 and replaced it with the Traynor (then bought some JJ tubes to replace the stock ones). Much better low volume tone than the Fender, and does metal better).
I have the Vox AD50Vt and Im getting bored with it.

It sounds muddy to me and theres lots of feedback when its turned up all the way.

I would save my money for a tube amp in the future.