Obviously they arent as great as the proper Gibson models but they are alot cheaper. But are they any good for nailing the classic rock sound like Aerosmith, Thin Lizzy, Van Halen, AC/DC, Whitesnake, Zeppelin etc? I have a Marshall 50w amp btw if that helps. Thanks alot in advance!
yeah they are alright as long as you don't get the super cheap beginner models, the more expensive ones can rival low end Gibsons.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I'm guessing it's a Marshall MG50 you have? Not much will sound good from that amp but the Epiphones are good Gibson alternatives apart from the following

- Les Paul Junior w/ bolted neck (The '57 RI is fine).
- Les Paul or SG Special - both crap.
- Les Paul/ LP-100 or SG-310

Anything above this group is good (SG-400, LP Standard etc.) Also, look into the Tokai Love Rock guitars they are doing on eBay at the moment.
Quote by defleppard87
Thanks for the quick reply. What are the cheap beginner models to stay away from?

Check my last post
You don't neccesarily need a Marshall amp and there may not be any decent ones in your price range which is........?

There are other amps which will suit your tastes too like the Laney VC15/VC30 which are all tube combos that will wipe the floor with a Marshall MG. You will need an OD for Van Halen though but it is a small price to pay for amazing tone. Also, stay away from Line 6 Spiders as they are garbage.

In short, your best bet is to go for a valve amp, and more importantly a combo. If you don't jam with other people much or don't gig, then look into Blackheart amps like mine. There is a 15 watt halfstack/combo coming out soon too, but my 5 watt version is superb. If you have plenty of cash knocking about though I would suggest an Orange Tiny Terror. There's a multitude of options but remeber A NEW AMP IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN A NEW GUITAR!!!!
i bought my epiphone sg about a year ago for $800 AU and its starting to **** up, but keep in mind when i bought mine i was only begining guitar and bought it on looks not preformance because i was young and nieve
Quote by bassmanjoe08
If only you guys could see my computer room after I read this news...
Shit...seamen...drool...ravioli...EVERYWHERE!!!
my epi les paul standard is 2 years old and is as solid as the day i bought it. plays like a dream.

get one.
Thank you please.
They are decent guitars for the price, but you can get better for cheaper.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
My favorites are the G400 and the Epiphone Standard Plain Top. There are other brands that are very competitive, i.e. Agile, Ibanez, Micheal Kelly.
My G-400 is my favourite guitar, my Stagemaster gets jealous.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
I myself enjoy playing Epiphone Les Paul Standards and Plus Tops, and think that the Custom models are great guitars.

To really get the best for your money, I would suggest looking into the Epiphone Elitist model, which rivals Gibson Classic and Standards.

Other than that, some good copies to look into include Tokai Love Rocks, Agile 2000's and 3000's, Edwards, and if you like the shape, Hagstrom Super Swede's.
High as tits
Quote by Suicidal_Brick
I myself enjoy playing Epiphone Les Paul Standards and Plus Tops, and think that the Custom models are great guitars.

To really get the best for your money, I would suggest looking into the Epiphone Elitist model, which rivals Gibson Classic and Standards.

Other than that, some good copies to look into include Tokai Love Rocks, Agile 2000's and 3000's, Edwards, and if you like the shape, Hagstrom Super Swede's.

The Swede would be a more direct comparison than the Super Swede, as the Swede has a Gibson-length scale, while the Super Swede has a Fender-length scale.

--- D
is that 50 watt marshall an MG?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ya, the Les Pauls are awsome! I got a Epiphone Les Paul Ultra for Christmas and it plays in a way i cant explain, just awsome.