do it a lot
Gear
Caparison Horus HGS
B.C. Rich Beast NJ Series
Alhambra 7FS
BOSS GT-8
Peavey Valve King 212
get a pick that u are comfortable with, and that sounds good. then practice....a lot
By playing guitar.

Seriously though, it depends ENTIRELY on what you are playing, there are so many factors that could be involved that no one could possibly give any useful advice on that.

Besides, to think of "speed picking" as some kind of technique makes me sick.
When tremolo picking make sure your not moving your whole arm. Just use your wrist and you will find it a lot easier and you'll be able to play faster to.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Quote by howey
When tremolo picking make sure your not moving your whole arm. Just use your wrist and you will find it a lot easier and you'll be able to play faster to.

well that just sucks donkey balls because i am left handed and play right handed because it feels more comfortable for fretting. so like i can move my left hand like 50mph but can't move my right hand worth a crap, so should i like flick my wrist or something?
The simple word "practice" is the worst advice you could give the thread starter if you don't elaborate. The reason for this is if he starts practicing WRONG, he'll be practicing it wrong for weeks and develop a horribly bad habit that will take months to get rid of.

TS, first of all, read this.

OK, once you fully and honestly have read and understood the importance of that, it's time to practice good, correct picking. Just remember, it's all in the wrist. It's not in the palm or in the upper arm. The palm should be used to correctly hold the pick, and the upper arm should never be used to pick unless you're windmilling on stage to show off.

First of all, hold the pick correctly. What does correctly mean? It means that you should hold the pick with your thumb and index finger in a way that you are comfortable with. The pick angle should be close to parallel to the string you are picking on, and you should be pointing the pick relatively straight down towrads the body of the guitar.

Easy so far.

Next, rest your hand on the bridge. There is no wrong way to do this unless you are muting the strings or you are uncomfortable. Now, begin practicing speed picking. Use clean up and down motions, making them as short and consistent as possible. Don't try to go to fast and don't use anything except your wrist.

You might want to note that speed picking will get you nowhere if your hands aren't coordinated. So make sure that for every 20 minutes of speed pciking practice you do, you also put 20 minutes of practice into hand synchronization. Do chromatics, play scales, or invent your own exercises.

If you're wondering why I had you read that whole article and had yougo back to the very basics just to remind you how to correctly hold a pick, there's a reason. It's to help you avoid bad habits and to play correctly. If you don't constantly remind yourself of correct playing when you first start a new concept, you will either never get better or develop bad habits and ultimately make your playing worse. Just make sure you're comfortable, you're playing cleanly, and you're also working on hand synchronization, then practice speed.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
I know a Marty Friedman guitar solo note-for-note, problem is...I'm not nearly as fast as he is!
Whats this got to do with alternate picking?
Using a metronome to practice speed and accuracy.

Using Google.....search "metronome online".
Click the first link of the same name. Providing your computer is away from the TV, as to not rile the folks or mate, turn it up a bit and click a number from the "dial"
The lower the number, the slower the tempo (tic-toc).
If you came up with the riff playing it slow should be relatively easy.
If you are learning a recorded riff you should find reliable tab...
and yes I found very accurate tabs here for the Megadeth song

It took me about three hours to completely memorise all the notes in the solo section by studying and playing the tabbed "notes" slowly. Then another hour or so getting the "feel" of the notes Marty played. Or the "Soul" of the notes and their nuances, so to speak.
It challenges me to practice and is IMHO absolutely necessary.

After almost two weeks I can now play the "Symphony" solo 99%, slides and all at about a 3rd of the actual song speed, 65% decent at full speed with sloppy slides and sweeps .
Even slow this solo is a beast but the nuances are fun once you get them down.
Solo or rhythm,
the same idea applies to alternate picking.
Start out slow and play along with the metronome rhythm at a slower tempo until you have a solid consistency, then go the next speed up the next peactice session.
I am hoping to have the part down by April 1st.
Patience is the key.

Sorry for the long,
But I think this might be helpful! Cheers!
thanks guys that's some really good advice,i'm gonna do some excercises later but i am pretty busy right now. oh and, spring break in 2 weeks!
Quote by Aziraphale
By playing guitar.

Seriously though, it depends ENTIRELY on what you are playing, there are so many factors that could be involved that no one could possibly give any useful advice on that.

Besides, to think of "speed picking" as some kind of technique makes me sick.

+ 1 million

picking it's just picking, as you develop more control and more accuracy you can do it faster.

That's it. Simple as.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com