i'm buyin a guitar and amp on my bday (2 weeks from now), but i dont know wha the to buy... by the way, my budget for everything will be about ( i'm european so my euro-> usd conversion might be wrong) 400 € which is about 440 usd??

i'm a beginner, like, i've been playin on an acoustic for 2 years now, so it's time to make the big jump. i play a lot o red hot, linkin park, 30 seconds to mars, incubus, coldplay, placebo, things like that, so i've thought about getting a squier affinity stratocaster and a roland cube 20x or a line6 spider 3 30

what do you think? it's a good choice of guitar? i've played in some strats and realized that they're versatile as hell, and drop dead gorgeous so... the thing that's bothering me is the amp... what's a good amp 200/250 dollars( or euros) ?? is the cube good enough for the things i play? i heard the line 6 are way too metal so... help me!
Line 6? Metal?

You like strats and think they're gorgeous. So I don't think i can help much.... but Peavey Rage 90. It's 20 watts, has mid, high, low and lead gain. An overdrive channel with supersat and post, and has decent tone. Good for a beginner. The price averages out at about $80 US.
Quote by Cobain_is_king

Seth: 1
A7X: 0
@ the moment 400 euro is about 500/600 usd
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
If I was to start playing guitar all over again, the beginner gear I'd go for would be a Yamaha Pacifica and a Roland Cube.
^ +1

but i'd go for the cube 30, or microcube, instead of the cube 15 or 20- the 15 and 20 don't have amp modelling. Which. You. Want.

vox valvetronix is probably worth a look too- i'm not too familiar with a lot of those bands, i'm not quite sure whether a more metal, or more vintage tone would be better- vox= more vintage, cube = more modern, basically.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
well, red hot is red hot, not metal, obviously so i guess i need an amp which can give me a clean tone like frusciante's... but then i guess i'll want something that also has a nice distortion
for the linkin park/ 30 seconds to mars etc.. metal tone so... i've looked on my local store's web site : www.mrmusic.pt ( i'm portuguese so, many of you won't understand what the hell is written i guess...) and saw a behringer gmx210, a Roland Cube-30X, Marshall MG15DFX and a Vox AD15T ( these are, in my opinion) the most promising in their price range ( i dont want to spend more than 250 € (and that's a streth already, might have to give up buying a hard shell guitar case for now...)) so, of those what's the best? if not what the best amp in this price? i've searched and i dont see the peavey rage 90 anywhere on the store so... help me... lol
MG? Promising amp?
Phail.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
MG? Promising amp?
Phail.

Saw that coming. Try the Vox and Rolands...
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
^you bet you did. I was considering getting one. I got a used Valvestate, I wish I had gotten a tube amp.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
oneblackended, so much so that I sig'd ya.
Never tried that pedal though... sorry...
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by oneblackened
MG? Promising amp?
Phail.

Yes, the beginner electric player who liked an amp that's not up to your standards 'phails'.

I've got a squier affinity fat strat, and it's a pretty decent guitar. The only difference between mine and the one you mentioned is the humbucker pickup (which you may or may not want, but keep it in mind). So yeah, not a bad choice for a beginner guitar.

I can't really help you with the amp, but that's kind of what all the other replies are focussed on (yes, I know the amp is the most important part of the sound, but the guitar matters too) so I'll leave that to people who know what they're talking about.
Quote by J_J

stupid ppl (they're like slinkies, not good for much, but they make you smile when pushed down the stairs)

Quote by Meths

Holy non-gender specific pronoun Batman!

Quote by freakypop

you dont rly play guitar if you dont shred
Quote by Tom Martin
If I was to start playing guitar all over again, the beginner gear I'd go for would be a Yamaha Pacifica and a Roland Cube.

+1

thats EXACTLY wut im buying in a month :P (im just starting)
Yamaha Pacifica PAC112J + Roland Cube 20x
pac = $270
cube 20x = $190

under ur budget
Gear:
Yamaha Pacifica 112V
Roland Cube 20X

www.justinguitar.com
Very, VERY, helpful site!! Free, too.
Quote by Tom Martin

I agree, though unless i as playing metal I'd prefer a Peavey Royal 8 or Epi Valve Junior instead of the Cube.
Quote by demonmouse500
Yes, the beginner electric player who liked an amp that's not up to your standards 'phails'.

I've got a squier affinity fat strat, and it's a pretty decent guitar. The only difference between mine and the one you mentioned is the humbucker pickup (which you may or may not want, but keep it in mind). So yeah, not a bad choice for a beginner guitar.

I can't really help you with the amp, but that's kind of what all the other replies are focussed on (yes, I know the amp is the most important part of the sound, but the guitar matters too) so I'll leave that to people who know what they're talking about.

Dude, MG's suck. No tone whatsoever, and are notoriously unreliable. plus, for what they are, which is a mediocre solid state amp, they are extremely overpriced.

I give you a kudos on the squier affinity though, I have the HSS version, and it plays pretty well for what it is. Of course, it's not of Jackson custom shop quality, but for $150 it plays pretty well.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Get Squier or an SX. If you decide to go with Squier get one off of ebay, they're ripoffs brand new but they're good guitars. SX's you can get from rondomusic.com, theiy're great for the value and perfect if you want a good project guitar. If anything i suggest starting with a good amp, that's one thing that you don't want to skimp on, that is, if you are serious about learning guitar. If that is the case i recommend the Fender FM 25 DSP Frontman Combo Amp, which you can find here: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-FM-25-DSP-Frontman-Combo-Amp?sku=481136

Oh, and i forgot to mention be careful with the Squier Affinity series. I haven't tried their guitars but the affinity series basses BLOW!!! the one i tried sounded like a rubberband... it was that bad. Have fun.
Quote by demonmouse500

Personally, i think the instrument is always the most important factor in a sound. I onl suggest that he not skimp on an amp because with a crappy amp you have more to loose that with a crappy guitar. Amps can be a little pricey even for beginners os you want to make sure that it's money well spent. I'm primarily a bassist but i'm sure it the same for guitar as far as a guitar > amp in terms of a certain sound. No matter how awesome your amp may be you can't make a Fender sound like a Fodera.
get a esp Kh 203 and with the 30 dollars left try to build ur own amp
build an amp? i'm 16 dude! how the hell would i build an amp? i prefer to just buy one... lol...
Quote by Kwesi
Personally, i think the instrument is always the most important factor in a sound. I onl suggest that he not skimp on an amp because with a crappy amp you have more to loose that with a crappy guitar. Amps can be a little pricey even for beginners os you want to make sure that it's money well spent. I'm primarily a bassist but i'm sure it the same for guitar as far as a guitar > amp in terms of a certain sound. No matter how awesome your amp may be you can't make a Fender sound like a Fodera.

i disagree. granted you won't make a telecaster sound like a les paul, but with the caveat that as long as your guitar is aimed at the tones you want to get (for example if you want single coil tones, don't get a humbucker guitar), the amp will make a much bigger difference to your tone than the guitar.

what's a bigger difference in tone? a strat versus a telecaster through the same amp? or the same guitar through a fender twin and then through a peavey 5150?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?