Hi all,

Just bought my first bass but I'm having trouble finding out any information on the thing - I'm in the UK and I paid £20 ($40) for it second (or third/fourth/fifth) hand. It's made by Columbus and says 'Series 2' on the head stock.

If anyone has any information on this bass or on Columbus guitars it would be much appreciated. Google searches come up with very little!

Cheers all.

Chris
i used to have a columbus les paul, it was a very nice playing instrument but it was let down by cheap electronics and a plywood body. i can only assume the same from your bass as my guitar was also a series 2.

columbus was one of the many japanese manufacturers of the 1970s churning out inexpensive copies of fenders and gibsons at the time that's about all the information i have
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Columbus was one of those companies that churned out copies in the 70s, when the real deal was beyond the economics means of most of younger players. Some of their stuff was average but they did put out some decent copies here and there. Creepingjesus73 has a Columbus 4003 Ric copy; he may be able to provide you a bit more info.
Cheers guys - the body is indeed plywood (the thing weighs an absolute ton!)

The electrics are a little worn out - I was thinking of replacing them at some point. Would it be worth spending some money and upgrading the pickups and pots? Obviously I wouldn't got mad and put top of the range in there though!
it's always worth putting decent electronics in your instrument as the last thing you want is for it to crap out at the worst possible moment.

you're in the UK so i'm gonna say go to axesrus.com and buy the jazz bass wiring kit because it's all high quality parts, cts pots, sprague orange drop caps and so forth and it's quite reasonably priced but it doesn't come with pickups
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.