Are ibanez SZ series discontinued ? its not on their website anymore... ive beens saving up for a SZ520qm ... i mite need to go for another guitar then... like an ltd ec 1000 or something like that... but i much prefer the ibanez
did you have a look at the SZR-520 series? Think it could be the same, just a new name for 2008. Also some shops could have some left lying around, you never know!
As far as i know, yes the sz has been discontinued and replaced with the new model the szr. It seems very similar but has a shorter neck scale, thats the main difference though its shape looks slightly different too.
Last edited by Sepulturick at Mar 12, 2008,
i dont think it has a quilted maple top
I dont really like the look of the szr either... maybe its just one of those moments where you set your mind on something , everything else kinda just not good enough, but i really wanted a blue sz520...
Quote by UrMomsMom
i dont think it has a quilted maple top
I dont really like the look of the szr either... maybe its just one of those moments where you set your mind on something , everything else kinda just not good enough, but i really wanted a blue sz520...

Some stores wil still have them.

The vintage cherry SZ520 is still in stock at GC:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-SZ520QM-Quilted-Maple-Electric-Guitar-518872-i1167499.gc

On top of that, they also have the SZ320 and the 720.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
sz
25.1 scale
Set 3-piece mahogany neck
Mahogany body with quilted maple top
Bound rosewood fretboard
22 medium frets
Gibralter III bridge
Dual Duncan Ibanez humbuckers
SZ Special inlay at 12th fret
Body, neck, and headstock binding

szr
24.75 scale
neck type - SZR Mahogany set-in neck
body - Quilted Maple top on Maple/Mahogany body
fret - Medium frets
bridge - Gibraltar III bridge

( 60 mm thick mahogany body and maple top )

Thx j rock , so it does have a quilted maple... btw, smaller scale means ? sorry i still dont understand this, does it mean the length between the frets or something ? and is that a good thing or a bad thing ? soz if its a noob question >.<
Quote by UrMomsMom
Thx j rock , so it does have a quilted maple... btw, smaller scale means ? sorry i still dont understand this, does it mean the length between the frets or something ? and is that a good thing or a bad thing ? soz if its a noob question >.<

A shorter scale means the length from the bridge to the nut is a little smaller. It's not a bad thing, its a feel thing. Some people like it, some don't. I personally like to 24.75 scale.

And the SZR comes with flamed maple top or Quilted (depending on the model)