How can I produce multichannel sound from line in?.....When you plug a guitar to a line in it only produces sound in my front left and front right speaker............
TO record --- you need a program that can record the track and the be targeted to a specific speaker. To just play out through the speakers you need to send a 5.1 channel signal to get that. Line ins are just stereo so that is all you get.

If your computer has Dobly Pro Logic it can convert a 2 channel signal into a multi channel surrond sound.
Main Rigs
Guitars
Thineline tele with SD lil '59

Ibanez Artcore AM-73

Line 6 Variax 500

Effects

Line 6 X3 live
Digitech RP-500
Ibanez Weeping Demon

Amps
Roland JC-120
Rocktron VT-60
front left ,front right ,rear left ,rear right ,center subwoofer,
i will not record but will just play.....
you need a soundcard that supports 5.1 channel audio, and a speaker system for 5.1 channel audio.

assuming you have that, it will not generally record to all channels, you need to bounce the tracks to whatever channel you want them to come out if, how you do this depends on what program you are using.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
You can't "make" mono audio into a Dolby 5.1 on the fly via software, you need a Dolby 5.1 encoder ( a big ass piece of expensive hardware). I have one sitting in a rack which I can let you have for around $60000 if you want (plus shipping, fees etc)!!!

You can get Dolby encoder plug-ins for Cubase etc, but they only work on pre-recorded tracks, not "live" audio inputs.
Last edited by SmellyHarold at Mar 12, 2008,
i have a button in my control panel which turns everything into fake 5.1 but i'm sure thats not what you want, otherwise listen to the clever people.
Bono: "Every time I clap my hands, a child in Africa dies."

Audience member: "Well, f*cking stop it then!"
One line-in has 2 channels.

5.1 systems have 3 line-outs, one for each pair of front and back speakers, and another for the center speaker/subwoofer.

So essentially, you can't produce multichannel sound from one line-in, at least not directly.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Even if its fake I just need an output from the other channels I dont need surround dts or one that is circulating through the speakers ,I just need to get an output.