Does anyone have any reviews about these pickups? I know nothing about them except they are being used on the artist guitars. I heard they take batteries, why? That cannot be a good thing can it? If anyone has any experience with them please post up. I am interested in one of the guitars that have them and my guitar teacher said to stay away from any guitar that had to have batteries. Just trying to see what other's opinions are.

Thanks.
Anthony Linhardt
Quote by ALinhardt
Does anyone have any reviews about these pickups? I know nothing about them except they are being used on the artist guitars. I heard they take batteries, why? That cannot be a good thing can it? If anyone has any experience with them please post up. I am interested in one of the guitars that have them and my guitar teacher said to stay away from any guitar that had to have batteries. Just trying to see what other's opinions are.

Thanks.

Batteries are used in what are called active pickups.

Of course it's all preference, but the concept of active pickups is pretty well recieved.

Brands like EMG are quite popular becasue of their actives.

As for the LoZ pickups, why not just try them yourself?
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
While I haven't used or heard the pickups I can tell you one thing: they do not require batteries, pickups that require batteries are called "active" pickups and your teacher can take his head out of his own ass for just one minute and realize that tone is subjective so you should only stay away from active pickups if you don't like the tone.

There is nothing really necessarily bad about active pickups; some people like them other's don't.

Edit: scratch that; on further research the LoZ pickups are active.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Mar 12, 2008,
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
While I haven't used or heard the pickups I can tell you one thing: they do not require batteries, pickups that require batteries are called "active" pickups and your teacher can take his out of his own ass for just one minute and realize that tone is subjective so you should only stay away from active pickups if you don't like the tone.

There is nothing really necessarily bad about active pickups; some people like them other's don't.

The LoZ pickups are active.
Yeah, your guitar teacher is a tool. Things like onboard preamps and piezo systems also require batteries. Not saying that you MUST get a guitar that requires batteries for something, but to each their own - at least be tolerant about it.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Quote by DrNick
Yeah, your guitar teacher is a tool. Things like onboard preamps and piezo systems also require batteries. Not saying that you MUST get a guitar that requires batteries for something, but to each their own - at least be tolerant about it.

If there's anything I learned from my old teacher is that they might know a lot about theory and such, but when it comes to gear, don't bother.
Thanks for the replies. I have not tried them, cause I am still a beginner, only about 6 lessons so far on an acoustic, never played on an electric yet. So I would have no idea what is good and what is not, nor the difference between any types of pickups. So active and non-active mean nothing to me at this point.
Anthony Linhardt
Quote by ALinhardt
Thanks for the replies. I have not tried them, cause I am still a beginner, only about 6 lessons so far on an acoustic, never played on an electric yet. So I would have no idea what is good and what is not, nor the difference between any types of pickups. So active and non-active mean nothing to me at this point.

Active pickups have a pre-amp inside them that shapes the tone and boosts the output making them more suited for overdriving amps (getting more gain) but a lot of people seem to dislike the tonal characteristics that active pickups have (myself included).

Passive (non-active) pickups tend to have lower output but a more organic tone that responds to the rest of the guitar much more than an active pickup; a lot of people say that active pickups sound the same no matter what guitar you put them in whereas passives reflect the rest of the guitar (tonewoods, construction, player etc...).

As has already been said the only real way to tell if you prefer one or the other is to go out and try them, but make sure you try them through a decent amp or you'll never be able to tell the difference.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.