So its my 18th birthday soon and my parents have just revealed to me that they've been looking for a Gibson to buy me as a suprise. But, seeing as they have no idea what they're doing, they told me to choose something myself and they'd buy it.

Now, I've been planning to do up my squier strat for a while now and was on the verge of buying some Bareknuckle pickups to install. But seeing as I now have a budget of about £1000, I could do the same thing yet bigger e.g. buy a body, neck, pickups and all the other bits and assemble it myself. If I did that, I'd pretty much copy Matt Bellamy's mansons while trying to keep a bit of individuality. Would this be a bad idea in case I change my tastes in a few years time?

The other option is to just get a good stock guitar like a Gibson.

Any suggestions as to whether the custom guitar idea is worthwhile or which stock guitar to buy would be appreciated.

I'd also like to know of some good companies that make high quality bodies and necks from in a range of shapes and woods like Warmoth but preferably in the UK.
Last edited by Liam4 at Mar 12, 2008,
don't change up the squier...that needs to go.......unless you have a good amp, i would suggest taking the money and getting a moderate guitar and a new amp......you could go out and buy a $5000 gibson and still have it sound like garbage on a cheap amp.
Quote by Liam4
So its my 18th birthday soon and my parents have just revealed to me that they've been looking for a Gibson to buy me as a suprise. But, seeing as they have no idea what they're doing, they told me to choose something myself and they'd buy it.

Now, I've been planning to do up my squier strat for a while now and was on the verge of buying some Bareknuckle pickups to install. But seeing as I now have a budget of about £1000, I could do the same thing yet bigger e.g. buy a body, neck, pickups and all the other bits and assemble it myself. If I did that, I'd pretty much copy Matt Bellamy's mansons while trying to keep a bit of individuality. Would this be a bad idea in case I change my tastes in a few years time?

The other option is to just get a good stock guitar like a Gibson.

Any suggestions as to whether the custom guitar idea is worthwhile or which stock guitar to buy would be appreciated.

I'd also like to know of some good companies that make high quality bodies and necks from in a range of shapes and woods like Warmoth but preferably in the UK.

This amount of money raises some serious questions:

1 - Do you find your squier comfortable to play?

2 - Have you looked around for any local luthiers where you live?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
There's a certain quality to a custom guitar that no "off the shelf" guitar can duplicate. Something about putting the time and energy into it, something about having to parts shop for two months and spend another month waiting on everything, the week you'll spend deciding whether to finish it yourself or have someone else do it.

Last year I did some major modifications to a cheap guitar and the project took quite a while. It's actually very much akin to Bellamy's Manson's as it includes things like BKP's, a Kaoss pad and color changing paint.

Basically to make a long story short: I looked at my Gibson Les Paul two weeks ago and realized that I had hardly touched it in the last 6 months. I put it on consignment at the local music store and it sold last week. I don't regret it at all. I'll take a one-off custom guitar over a stock Gibson any day.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
1 - Do you find your squier comfortable to play?

Not Particularly, I haven't played it in about a year as I play my Vintage V100 Les Paul copy instead.

Quote by Kendall
There's a certain quality to a custom guitar that no "off the shelf" guitar can duplicate. Something about putting the time and energy into it, something about having to parts shop for two months and spend another month waiting on everything, the week you'll spend deciding whether to finish it yourself or have someone else do it.

Do you think buying parts from somewhere like Warmoth and then assembling them myself would:

1. Be relatively easy as I've got no customisation experience whatsoever buy I think I have a good idea of how to do it.

2. It would be as good quality as a custom guitar made by a luthier or something like a Gibson. Assuming I use high quality parts.
1. I had no experience either and the project came together quite well. As long as you don't rush yourself and double check your work you should be fine. The hard stuff will be done for you (the fret job, the pickup routing, etc) so essentially you're just assembling the guitar from components. I even did some custom routing on mine (for the Kaoss pad) with no experience in that either and it turned out just fine.

2. Don't begin to think that something like a Warmoth Strat will compare with something from the likes of Manson or Suhr. But considering the price, quality, and the availability of options Warmoth is fantastic for what it is.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by Liam4
Not Particularly, I haven't played it in about a year as I play my Vintage V100 Les Paul copy instead.

Ok, fair enough, I was going to say if you found you Squier comfortable you should go for another guitar with a 25.5 scale length but obviously since you prefer the Les Paul copy a 24.75 is the right one for you.

Assuming you haven't built a guitar before I wouldn't go spending that much money on parts and things; if I had that much to spend I would seriously consider going out and researching local professional luthiers and seeing if you can get a custom made guitar from one of them, there must be someone near you.

I would not recommend you build a guitar with expensive parts until you've done it a few times and know what you're doing because you could get it very wrong and them you'd have spent all this money on parts that would now basically be firewood.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Anyone know what sort of price someone like Manson would charge for a custom guitar? I know the Matt Bellamy copies he used to make cost around £3000.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Ok, fair enough, I was going to say if you found you Squier comfortable you should go for another guitar with a 25.5 scale length but obviously since you prefer the Les Paul copy a 24.75 is the right one for you.

Assuming you haven't built a guitar before I wouldn't go spending that much money on parts and things; if I had that much to spend I would seriously consider going out and researching local professional luthiers and seeing if you can get a custom made guitar from one of them, there must be someone near you.

I would not recommend you build a guitar with expensive parts until you've done it a few times and know what you're doing because you could get it very wrong and them you'd have spent all this money on parts that would now basically be firewood.

Surely there isn't that much room for something to go wrong if all I'm doing is screwing things on and soldering? Assuming I had all the routing and finishing done for me.
Quote by Liam4
Surely there isn't that much room for something to go wrong if all I'm doing is screwing things on and soldering? Assuming I had all the routing and finishing done for me.

That's as may be but it can still go wrong and you wouldn't want it to happen with a serious amount of money's worth of parts would you? Maybe I'm just paranoid but I wouldn't try to do an expensive one as a first build.

If you still want to do it yourself though you're better of going to the Gear Building and Customizing forum; you'll be able to get tonnes of help there.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.