Is it possible (as in harmless) to run a 120 watt tube amp head through a 100 watt 2x12" cabinet? The cab is 8 ohm and the head's impedance is switchable (4, 8 and 16).

Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by Green_Jelly
Is it possible (as in harmless) to run a 120 watt tube amp head through a 100 watt 2x12" cabinet? The cab is 8 ohm and the head's impedance is switchable (4, 8 and 16).

It's possible but probably not advisable; I'd say unless the head can switch wattage down to half power I wouldn't try it.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
It'll be fine if you don't turn it up all the way. Try to keep it (conservatively) to about 7 or less and nothing bad should happen.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
OK, thanks for the advice. I'll probably have some power tubes pulled by a pro ASAP.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Consider that the 100w rating on the cab is for continuous output and even cranked all the way (everything at 10, not just the master volume) you'd have to play hard with almost no space between the chords to approach the 120w continuous output that the amp is rated at.

Also consider that most speakers are rated conservatively in the first place and that some amps intentionally run with inadequate speakers due to the particular breakup characteristics of those speakers.

I think you'll be ok, just don't turn it all the way up just to be on the safe side.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM