Simple. Are they worth it? For example the Emery Superbaby, $699 for the open chassis head. Are they really that much better than a VJ or BH? Yeah yeah, turret board, handwired, point-to-point, all that jazz. Does it make a difference worth the extra $500?
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
Quote by Chips-
Simple. Are they worth it? For example the Emery Superbaby, $699 for the open chassis head. Are they really that much better than a VJ or BH? Yeah yeah, turret board, handwired, point-to-point, all that jazz. Does it make a difference worth the extra $500?

As far as I'm concerned most boutique amps are almost exclusively for recording, that one can't really have much other purpose to me.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
^I agree somewhat. I only think the lower wattage boutique amps are for studio.

Yeah it does make the differece. But unless you have money to burn why would you get one when you could prolly get something close to it.
Well yeah, I mean look at the amp. The VJ runs SE EL84 for 5w, the Superbaby uses switchable octal tubes.. Also it has a rectifier tube which is capable of smoothing your sound somewhat, high quality transformers - and a TON of your tone is in the output transformer, and the Epi VJ stock transformer doesn't even have a full frequency response for guitar!

The thing is though, that's all well and good, but if you're talented, you could make your own copy of the superbaby that sounds just as good for a ton less.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Of course it will sound much better than a blackheart. Like a lot of boutique amps, it is going to be vastly superior to Guitar Center/mass produced stuff. Unfortunately, that's not cheap. I haven't played that amp in particular, but my experience with small tube amps is that big companies cut a lot of corners when making them. Boutique buyers are more inclined to realize that a 5w amp shouldn't really cost 1/5th of what a 50w amp costs and will pay for better parts.

Long story short, it's a much better amp, and you'll pay extra for that, plus the original design, look, better service etc. I suppose that's boutique in a nutshell anyway.
It's probably worth it if you've got money to burn.

I'd suggest you look for vintage amps, instead. You can get the same ptp wiring, tube rectifier, etc., in a much cheaper package that way.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.