Ok, so im wondering how well im doing on different techniques. I've been playing 7 months, 3 months playing acoustic and 4 playing electric. right now im working on sweep picking, i can 3 string sweeps pretty good, and 5 string sweeps slow. I can tap OK, but the notes arent very clear. also... what else do you guys think i should learn... thanks
have you learned all the basic stuff yet like scale names,the fret names...stuff like that?
Too tired and lazy to bother with a sig, Sorry.
ok. i personally think you should learn alot of theory before you go into all the advanced stuff. and remember you dont need to rush into things either.
but if you feel that your as good as you wanna be (with that), maby you should start with some ear traning?
also read some lessons here on ug, some are very good
Too tired and lazy to bother with a sig, Sorry.
Quote by Creaz93
Ok, so im wondering how well im doing on different techniques. I've been playing 7 months, 3 months playing acoustic and 4 playing electric. right now im working on sweep picking, i can 3 string sweeps pretty good, and 5 string sweeps slow. I can tap OK, but the notes arent very clear. also... what else do you guys think i should learn... thanks

You're getting very ahead of yourself, make sure you can do the basics damn well before you go and work on advanced lead techniques.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
You're getting very ahead of yourself, make sure you can do the basics damn well before you go and work on advanced lead techniques.

+ 1
shred is gaudy music
Like everyone else said, if you learned the basic...you're doing well but if you didn't you should learn those first.

At your point, just learn scales and theory if you haven't already learned most of it. Sweeping is also hard for only 7 months, tapping is not bad at 7 months since I believe its good to build finger strength.
Also, if you have't already learn alternate picking. It will give you something to do for a few months, lol ^^
i know most basics, scales,barr chords and other chords, bending, hammer-ons pull-offs. ^ alt picking came naturally to me about 1 week after i played
Quote by Creaz93

How can we know how well you are doing?
You've only stated that you can sweep and tap. Every note might be sloppy, you might have poor rythm etc.
Ibanez RG1527
ENGL Blackmore Sig.
Marshall 1960A Cab
Orange 4x12 Cab

Member of UG's Official Gain \/\/hores - Invite Only
Quote by ouchies
Who the hell are you guys? how do you know he is getting ahead of himself? Everyone has to start sometime.

To the TS, don't get too sucked into technique, learn technique but don't forget to learn music.

You have a point but he did ask for advice, so he was willing to accept what we would have to say.

But, I would work on being accurate. If you do all those things you say you can and already know a lot of theory and scales then work on your own style, improv, and accurate playing, and aim for tough songs...not to tough (just out of your reach and improve to get to that point)
Quote by Creaz93
i know most basics, scales,barr chords and other chords, bending, hammer-ons pull-offs. ^ alt picking came naturally to me about 1 week after i played

Alternate picking will not completely come within a week, it's that simple. I assume you're referring to simple downstrokes and upstrokes, but alternate picking is usually applied to multiple strings, in that all pick strokes alternate even when changing strings. If that's easy enough for you to do, work on alternate picking while skipping strings. The entire technique and its application did not come to you "naturally" after one week of playing.